Windows 7/8 productivity improvements?

Dashel

Huh? Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7. Please don't compare Windows 7 to XP, because they are two totally different operating systems, with two totally different workflows. There's no denying that Windows 7 is leaps and bounds better than XP. Why let "Pro" users suffer poor productivity?

So, if win8 is 'exactly' like Win7, then you do agree that from a usability standpoint, its only 'as good as' Win7. Pray tell, what are these huge advances in workflow for casual and advanced workers compared to XP again? And how many of those are actually used in practice?

Really JOHW, is the average user so TERRIBLE at controlling their mouse that they need such huge landing zones? That right there is reason enough for a classic version.

Tilt090

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

this looks like linux to me! worse though... i mean the end user has to create buttons for sleep restart etc?????

i cant even imagine the horror of using refresh/reset on windows 8 1 year after such massive customisation!! reset and theregoes the sleep/reboot buttons!! need a tutorial again or throw the comp out of the window!!! ROFL..

sorry j/k the tutorial is very helpful but this is anal.

Dot Matrix

So, if win8 is 'exactly' like Win7, then you do agree that from a usability standpoint, its only 'as good as' Win7.

There are improvements in Windows 8. Live tiles and Depending on the device you are using, touch features are better than Windows 7.

Pray tell, what are these huge advances in workflow for casual and advanced workers compared to XP again? And how many of those are actually used in practice?

Oh, I don't know...

Pinned apps/websites

Search

Office Ribbon

On screen keyboard shortcut tooltips

Stability

Jumplists

Aero Snap

Aero Peek

Want me to go on? Oh, wait, I'm not allowed to use those because the OP doesn't. :rolleyes:

JOHW

I would like to think that the average user is a person with poorer eyesight and move their mouse really slowly to 'aim' :p

Also, with the whole screen allowed, you can pin more apps on the start screen than the 20 or so maximum number on a Start Menu. To get around the problem of having to traverse most of the screen, Microsoft made the tiles bigger too. They have done their research on user behavior and posted a blog post on it. Basically the ease of reaching a program is proportional to the distance the mouse needs to travel, and inversely proportional to the size of the clickable area.

As a power user, it's really easy for me, since I can control my mouse pretty well. As I said I can throw my mouse in a general direction and consistently land in a certain area.

My point is there may be slight improvements or at least neutral changes for a desktop user in Windows 8 compared to Win 7. Remember that Win 7 was awesome at productivity, and it will be hard to improve on that further. For them to have managed to also allow touch users to be able to use it well is a pretty great accomplishment IMO.

JOHW

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

this looks like linux to me! worse though... i mean the end user has to create buttons for sleep restart etc?????

i cant even imagine the horror of using refresh/reset on windows 8 1 year after such massive customisation!! reset and theregoes the sleep/reboot buttons!! need a tutorial again or throw the comp out of the window!!! ROFL..

sorry j/k the tutorial is very helpful but this is anal.

Well most users do not use those features so they kind of got 'buried'. Most people only need hybrid sleep and shutdown, which are options in the charm menu. But since you want a really quick 1 click method, you will need to go through this once to save yourself 1-2 clicks every day for the next 1 year. Personally, I don't bother going through this process since I can live with the extra 1 (+1 gesture) click a day.
Praetor

Tilt090: it's a matter of adaptation and if you use a new OS (no matter if it's Windows, Linux, OSX, BSD or what) there's allways a learning curve; in this case there's a lot of new stuff to learn but there's so many UI advantages, that's it's worty to learn.

the same i can apply for Gnome 3 (here comes the bashing...).

Tilt090

There are improvements in Windows 8. Live tiles and Depending on the device you are using, touch features are better than Windows 7.

Oh, I don't know...

Pinned apps/websites

Search

Office Ribbon

On screen keyboard shortcut tooltips

Stability

Jumplists

Aero Snap

Aero Peek

Want me to go on? Oh, wait, I'm not allowed to use those because the OP doesn't. :rolleyes:

exactly the 8 things i mentioned as useless for the average joe like me.

Tilt090

Tilt090: it's a matter of adaptation and if you use a new OS (no matter if it's Windows, Linux, OSX, BSD or what) there's allways a learning curve; in this case there's a lot of new stuff to learn but there's so many UI advantages, that's it's worty to learn.

the same i can apply for Gnome 3 (here comes the bashing...).

please come and create my sleep button and reboot button. im not incompetent but lazy. im used to a premade easily clickable sleep hibernate option. im used to having the wife make the lunch and dinner... using windows 8 is like wife off to her moms house... so im starving... i hope microsoft sends some people to create sleep and hibernate buttons for me..

Dot Matrix

exactly the 8 things i mentioned as useless for the average joe like me.

How are they useless? You're the one making them useless. Other people here use them day in and day out. I see it all the freakin time at school and at work.

Tilt090

How are they useless? You're the one making them useless. Other people here use them day in and day out. I see it all the freakin time at school and at work.

take it easy. they are useless for me. im not changing my usage habits to please anyone. now please come and create the sleep button for me.

Dot Matrix

im not incompetent but lazy.

This answers everything. We can't help you then if you're too lazy to try new things. In this case, XP will be your friend for years to come, but don't make the rest of us "Pro users" suffer because you're too lazy to take advantage of new features to enhance your productivity.

There's a reason the XP codebase was trashed. It's gone and not coming back.

• Like 1
Tilt090

This answers everything. We can't help you then if you're too lazy to try new things. In this case, XP will be your friend for years to come, but don't make the rest of us suffer because you're too lazy to take advantage of new features to enhance your productivity.

you want people used to having the sun come up in east and day being 24 hours suddenly say great and cool to those things changing.... dude start button shutdown sleep hibernate the mouse its like day and night... eating and pooping and peeing.

you want 40 and 50 year olds to go for potty training again just because you made a new potty trainer ??

JOHW

please come and create my sleep button and reboot button. im not incompetent but lazy. im used to a premade easily clickable sleep hibernate option. im used to having the wife make the lunch and dinner... using windows 8 is like wife off to her moms house... so im starving... i hope microsoft sends some people to create sleep and hibernate buttons for me..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78d42r3sbdxyqdd/Buttons.zip

Took me all but 20 seconds.

JOHW

could you please email me the sleep/hibernate buttons?

PM your email address?
Tilt090

PM your email address?

PM sent!

Dot Matrix

you want people used to having the sun come up in east and day being 24 hours suddenly say great and cool to those things changing.... dude start button shutdown sleep hibernate the mouse its like day and night... eating and pooping and peeing.

you want 40 and 50 year olds to go for potty training again just because you made a new potty trainer ??

That's a bad comparison, just like computer interfaces, the universe around us is also changing, and life on earth has to either adapt to the changes or die out.

The are changes comping to computing that are making it harder and harder to use XP each coming day, and if you're not able to adapt to those changes, than I'm sorry to say, you won't be using computers for much longer.

Tilt090

That's a bad comparison, just like computer interfaces, the universe around us is also changing, and life on earth has to either adapt to the changes or die out.

The are changes comping to computing that are making it harder and harder to use XP each coming day, and if you're not able to adapt to those changes, than I'm sorry to say, you won't be using computers for much longer.

you are welcome to come and customise the pc for me my grandson. ill give you a toffee for it also.

Eric

[Thread closed]

Please continue this discussion in a thread that already addresses it.