Apple receives broad patent on MacBook Air wedge design

Great article and analysis over at DailyTech

http://www.dailytech...ticle24886c.htm

It looks to me like the only notebook pictured in that article that's even close to infringing on the design patent is the XPS 13.

Again, this is not a patent on teardrop or wedge shapes in general. For some reason that article's 'great analysis' states that without backing it up.

The majority of the notebooks that they picture do not share the very specifically pictured lines from Apple's patent.

Here's the entire patent as far as I can tell: http://assets.sbnati...USD661296S1.pdf

I don't see anything that backs up this from the dailytech article:

The patent covers claims exclusive ownership to thin teardrop/wedge-shaped notebook computers.

It looks to me like the only notebook pictured in that article that's even close to infringing on the design patent is the XPS 13.

Again, this is not a patent on teardrop or wedge shapes in general. For some reason that article's 'great analysis' states that without backing it up.

The majority of the notebooks that they picture do not share the very specifically pictured lines from Apple's patent.

You obviously don't get it.. this patent is so broad that Apple can go after all of these and win a ban. That's what they were trying to achieve to begin with.

The systems a joke, but don't blame Apple; any company could've patient it. I guess, it's a; you snooze, you lose situation. :p

You obviously don't get it.. this patent is so broad that Apple can go after all of these and win a ban. That's what they were trying to achieve to begin with.

Please explain to me what part of the patent that Apple was granted covers wedge shaped notebooks in general.

All I see in the patent are drawings depicting a specific design with specific lines. I don't think even the original 2008 Macbook Air would fall under this design patent.

This ugly thing?

You. must. be. joking.

Just because it's ugly, doesnt dispute the fact that Apple was not the first company to make a wedge-shaped computer.

Just because it's ugly, doesnt dispute the fact that Apple was not the first company to make a wedge-shaped computer.

And as far as I can tell Apple aren't claiming they did.

From the link that was posted by pretty much everybody, it says the broken lines do not count toward the patent.

The only thing I see not broken lined is the Lid

But hey guess we will find out the true purpose when apple does or does not sue people because of it and who they go after..

If they go after a blatant clone then yes, if they go after random hp dell ultra book or laptop then...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me like the design patent specifies a pretty specific corner radius for the lid of the laptop. If so, doesn't that mean a competitor also has to copy the lid's rounded corners (and possibly even the contouring) to infringe?

I am not sure if you guys read the patent or not... but it seems that some people just love to hate...

As stetson says, the patent does not cover all wedge shaped laptops but the "tear shaped wedget" laptops, so pretty much it has to be an exact copy of the new macbook air in order to be infringing on the patent.

I think this was mostly to protect them selves of some copycats which sell these "macbook" airs online.

In other words, as long as ASUS, Acer, Dell, Samsung have their wedge shaped laptop's top and bottom flat/straight and not curved/tear shaped they would be ok...

I am not sure if you guys read the patent or not... but it seems that some people just love to hate...

As stetson says, the patent does not cover all wedge shaped laptops but the "tear shaped wedget" laptops, so pretty much it has to be an exact copy of the new macbook air in order to be infringing on the patent.

I think this was mostly to protect them selves of some copycats which sell these "macbook" airs online.

In other words, as long as ASUS, Acer, Dell, Samsung have their wedge shaped laptop's top and bottom flat/straight and not curved/tear shaped they would be ok...

Some people will read that as " Apple patents Curve Shape "

It's still pretty much the same as saying that only Apple should be allowed to design a computer in that way.

It's still pretty much the same as saying that only Apple should be allowed to design a computer in that way.

Yep, that's exactly what it's saying. Only Apple should be allowed to produce a computer with the exact shape that the lines in the patent application portray. Most of the computers in that DailyTech article are clearly not following that design.

LOL.. that's exaclty the point.. you can argue what is tear shaped wedged laptop (that's why the patent is so vague).. which are pretty much almost all new ultrabooks. Today, if you want to make a super thin laptop, you have to make it in that shape. That's the whole point if you want to have it super thin.

Well, yes... and they should. It's the same as any other brand. They think that their shape/design is superior and noone else has not made a laptop with that exact shape before, so why should they not protect themselves from copycats?

If the design is so stupid and cheap, than other companies should have no problems making products with slightlly altered design.

Yep, that's exactly what it's saying. Only Apple should be allowed to produce a computer with the exact shape that the lines in the patent application portray. Most of the computers in that DailyTech article are clearly not following that design.

Okay, and when Apple starts suing everyone thanks to this patent. Will you then admit you are wrong? Or you will come out with some rhetoric to defend Apple at that point as well?

And I'm not attacking Apple here. Apple can imagine and do whatever they want. They are what they are. Anti-consumer, anti-competitive and overall pretty rotten company. This is to be expected from them to try to patent this stuff.

The problem here is corruption at the patent office and the fact that broad patents like this can be approved to begin with.

LOL.. that's exaclty the point.. you can argue what is tear shaped wedged laptop (that's why the patent is so vague).. which are pretty much almost all new ultrabooks.

No.. go and read the patent again and look at the images and the different contours and curves... it's all quite specific. But I guess you can read what you want to read....

Well' I guess we can wait for a week or two and see if Apple takes all the diferent manufacturers to court.... which I think is highly unlikely.

Well, yes... and they should. It's the same as any other brand. They think that their shape/design is superior and noone else has not made a laptop with that exact shape before, so why should they not protect themselves from copycats?

Wedge shaped laptops have been made before. That's one. Second, the previous laptops couldn't be made because technology was not at the level it is today. It's pretty simple. You don't have to be genius to figure it out.

Just because Apple managed to release a laptop ahead of others by certain amount of time (by buying components that made it possible for them) and probably booked factories so competitors couldn't make them at the same time and give an Apple and upper hand in time (which is what Apple does very often) and then others come out with similar approach because it's the one that makes common sense.

Do you understand that if everyone in tech industry patented broad patents like this over time, Apple wouldn't be able to release anything. 80-90% of the stuff they do, they buy from someone else who comes up and creates that technology. Apple doesn't have factories and doesn't make it's own hardware. Others do.

Wedge shaped laptops have been made before. That's one. Second, the previous laptops couldn't be made because technology was not at the level it is today. It's pretty simple. You don't have to be genius to figure it out.

Wow man... you need to go out and cool of... aparently you dont read anything so it's pointles to talk to you.

Have fun.

Cheers!

Okay, and when Apple starts suing everyone thanks to this patent. Will you then admit you are wrong? Or you will come out with some rhetoric to defend Apple at that point as well?

If Apple sues someone who makes a laptop that isn't using that exact design, and wins, I will agree that that's completely wrong. As I said before I think that most ultrabooks don't infringe on this patent.

Will you sut up and admit your wrong every day UNTIL apple starts suing people thanks to this patent.. Cause so far they haven't,,I don't think they have BEFORE they were awarded the patent. But could be wrong on that part knowing apple

Literally I can't go saying Voldemort words cause you'll pout to the mods, but there is hardly any difference between the Crazy people holding sandwich signs painted " The End Is Near " and what you complain about.

Now I'll gladly argue aganst apple if they do start suing people for random laptop because of this. But I don't see that happening unless it's a blatant ripoff

Just because Apple managed to release a laptop ahead of others by certain amount of time (by buying components that made it possible for them) and probably booked factories so competitors couldn't make them at the same time and give an Apple and upper hand in time (which is what Apple does very often) and then others come out with similar approach because it's the one that makes common sense.

Do you understand that if everyone in tech industry patented broad patents like this over time, Apple wouldn't be able to release anything. 80-90% of the stuff they do, they buy from someone else who comes up and creates that technology. Apple doesn't have factories and doesn't make it's own hardware. Others do.

Pretty sure; Apple does have a design team of some sort, that design products and then manufacture them at their own private factories; a la Foxxconn. There's a part of Foxxconn which is sectioned off just for the manufacture of Apple products, Foxxconn also produces some other companies electronic goods, such as Nintendo.

But you seem to be derailing on the fact; that it's the patients officers fault not Apples.

Wow man... you need to go out and cool of... aparently you dont read anything so it's pointles to talk to you.

Have fun.

Cheers!

He's an Anti-apple crusader, he just doesn't listen. He also makes facts and doesn't include sources. Just look at his past posts, they're all aimed negatively at the company, doesn't matter; what subject.

If Apple sues someone who makes a laptop that isn't using that exact design, and wins, I will agree that that's completely wrong. As I said before I think that most ultrabooks don't infringe on this patent.

He's an Anti-apple crusader, he just doesn't listen. He also makes facts and doesn't include sources. He's done this multiple times in the past.

Will you sut up and admit your wrong every day UNTIL apple starts suing people thanks to this patent.. Cause so far they haven't,,I don't think they have BEFORE they were awarded the patent. But could be wrong on that part knowing apple

He's an Anti-apple crusader, he just doesn't listen. He also makes facts and doesn't include sources. see if he misses this. :p

But you seem to be derailing on the fact; that it's the patients officers fault not Apples.

Oh absolutely.. I'm not really against Apple here.. They can do whatever.. this is all corruption and disastrous state of the patent office.

He's an Anti-apple crusader, he just doesn't listen. He also makes facts and doesn't include sources.

He's an Anti-apple crusader, he just doesn't listen. He also makes facts and doesn't include sources.

He's an Anti-apple crusader, he just doesn't listen. He also makes facts and doesn't include sources. I'll post this three times, and see if he misses it :p

From now on I'm just saying he has Voldemort Complex, cause we can't name them, the word Anti-Apple is one of them among others