The Wii U Will Have 8GB Internal Memory,1.5GB RAM And Other Fun

So you think the Wii U will be capable of playing the new CoD, Resistance, Forza or GT without that much of a noticeable graphical downgrade?

The same console that is limited to 30fps when 2 people are playing?

FYI, it's only the Wii U gamepad controller feed that's downgraded to 30 FPS - as the low latency streaming technology they're using only has enough bandwidth to reliably stream 60FPS, but that bandwidth gets split between the two controllers.

That's why there's such a convenient direct halving of the frame rate, regardless of how complex the gameplay actually being displayed on the controller happens to be. Even if both were showing just a blank screen, they'd still both be at 30 FPS rather than 60.

The actual TV display could still be 60FPS if the developer wanted.

YLOD was never a widespread problem. You simply cannot compare RROD to YLOD. Unfortunately, if your PS3 suffered YLOD after the warranty period (usually 1 year), which is similar to other electronic manufacturer's warranties, you could only get a refurb console for a reduced price. That's not an uncommon way for companies to deal with failures. MSs response to the RROD was pretty good. Although, I'm not sure how much they were compelled to compensate owners and how much they did of their own accord. I think the 360 slims come with a 3 year warranty and a 90 return to store policy. At least, I'm pretty sure that is what they guy who sold me mine told me.

Correction, it was not AS widespread as RROD. but it was widespread and far beyond the level any other manufacturer would offer a service note(extended warranty). Then again, in Norway it wouldn't matter since consoles are in the expected to last longer than 5 years category and you would have manufacturer warranty that is 5 years anyway.

Ms has always offered longer warranty than Sony's spit in the consumers face 1 year though. at least in Europe.

Correction, it was not AS widespread as RROD. but it was widespread and far beyond the level any other manufacturer would offer a service note(extended warranty). Then again, in Norway it wouldn't matter since consoles are in the expected to last longer than 5 years category and you would have manufacturer warranty that is 5 years anyway.

Ms has always offered longer warranty than Sony's spit in the consumers face 1 year though. at least in Europe.

Well, I don't have the numbers of xboxs effected by RROD and the numbers of PS3s effected by YLOD. It would be interesting to know whether or not they were even close. I don't think they were, but, again, I don't have numbers.

In Australia, 1 year warranty is a statutory right, that is, the government created legislation that said a product has to be covered by the manufacturer for at least 1 year. Recently they introduced new legislation which I think deals with the expectation of a products life relative to its cost, e.g. a $3000 LED LCD TV lifespan should be expected to be a few years, not simply the statutory 1 year... But I digress.

In Europe, or specifically Norway, where you are, there might be similar consumer rights legislation that lasts longer e.g. 5 years. However, after that time, a manufacturer isn't liable or can refuse to replace or repair a product. It's only if they receive a lot of bad publicity that they'll offer new units or repair it at their expense. I don't think Sony is any more guilty of this than any other company. At least with regards to the PS3 units.

But, it's different all over the world, as you pointed out.

If there's a known problem that affects a significant percentage of units (by significant percentage 1% actually qualifies as that is already thousands and thousand of units, YLOD was more than 1% at any rate) then any self respecting and more importantly client respecting company will offer extended warranty. and may be required by law to do so. EU has deemed this in a few cases.

I think the issue with the Wii U that no one has mentioned yet is third-party support, in the long run. Sure Nintendo showed off some great third-party games already slated for Xbox 360/PS3 since its easy enough to port those to the Wii U. The issue is that no developer is first off, going to create a HUGE Exclusive title for Wii U, as that would especially early on, shrink their market size considerably, so they will dev for Xbox/PS3/Wii U and since the Xbox and PS3 are the lowest common denominator, you wont see any massive difference on the Wii U. It will be nicer (higher res textures for example), but nothing much more than that.

Development of any AAA game takes 3-5 years, unless its a sequel with limited difference (COD, Assassin's Creed). No developer is going to take a bet on the Wii U, knowing that before the game can even be released a new generation of radically updated hardware will be out to consumer's, worse yet they will have the hardware (dev units) within the 3 months if not already. Really think about the development process, and the risk these studio's take, they are going to bet on the PS4/Xbox720 and downgrade any huge title for the Wii U. Also Microsoft doesnt allow any title to come out on other console's before it comes out on the Xbox, so if any game is developed for the Wii U, with the goal of taking it elseware, it wont happen. They will dev for the Xbox, and Wii U second, no way any studio will ignore a multi-million user market like that.

With all of that said, the Wii U's 1 year head-start is going to product absolutely nothing, you wont see any major AAA titles (aside from the Nintendo title's) that draw user's in drones to the Wii U, instead you will see the same users who purchased a Wii likely buy a Wii U, Worse yet, god forbid Nintendo's handheld unit isnt a massive success because then there is NOTHING supporting them for the next 5 years while the Xbox and PS4 take over the market.

The biggest herald for Nintendo, was the headstart, the advantage of title's that could happen in that time (again 3-5 years just for any worthwhile new AAA game), your not going to see huge studio's support only the Wii U, when they have high risk currently supporting two of the major consoles on the market. Going one step further, assuming a studio was interested in a Wii U exclusive, financially, the Wii U would have to sell 30-50million units in months just to account for HALF of the current high-end console market.

At the end though, I dont think its Nintendo's demise, I think we will just start to see Nintendo begin to pivot its business differently going forward.

I think the issue with the Wii U that no one has mentioned yet is third-party support, in the long run. Sure Nintendo showed off some great third-party games already slated for Xbox 360/PS3 since its easy enough to port those to the Wii U. The issue is that no developer is first off, going to create a HUGE Exclusive title for Wii U, as that would especially early on, shrink their market size considerably, so they will dev for Xbox/PS3/Wii U and since the Xbox and PS3 are the lowest common denominator, you wont see any massive difference on the Wii U. It will be nicer (higher res textures for example), but nothing much more than that.

Development of any AAA game takes 3-5 years, unless its a sequel with limited difference (COD, Assassin's Creed). No developer is going to take a bet on the Wii U, knowing that before the game can even be released a new generation of radically updated hardware will be out to consumer's, worse yet they will have the hardware (dev units) within the 3 months if not already. Really think about the development process, and the risk these studio's take, they are going to bet on the PS4/Xbox720 and downgrade any huge title for the Wii U. Also Microsoft doesnt allow any title to come out on other console's before it comes out on the Xbox, so if any game is developed for the Wii U, with the goal of taking it elseware, it wont happen. They will dev for the Xbox, and Wii U second, no way any studio will ignore a multi-million user market like that.

With all of that said, the Wii U's 1 year head-start is going to product absolutely nothing, you wont see any major AAA titles (aside from the Nintendo title's) that draw user's in drones to the Wii U, instead you will see the same users who purchased a Wii likely buy a Wii U, Worse yet, god forbid Nintendo's handheld unit isnt a massive success because then there is NOTHING supporting them for the next 5 years while the Xbox and PS4 take over the market.

The biggest herald for Nintendo, was the headstart, the advantage of title's that could happen in that time (again 3-5 years just for any worthwhile new AAA game), your not going to see huge studio's support only the Wii U, when they have high risk currently supporting two of the major consoles on the market. Going one step further, assuming a studio was interested in a Wii U exclusive, financially, the Wii U would have to sell 30-50million units in months just to account for HALF of the current high-end console market.

At the end though, I dont think its Nintendo's demise, I think we will just start to see Nintendo begin to pivot its business differently going forward.

We already have Ubisoft that is Developing Zombi U a new title AAA title we have ubisoft and other developer Porting over some of there current games but with some big enhancements not only in the graphics but the Wii U Gamepad . we have up coming games that willl be on all 3 platforms but Wii U will be the Top Tier version with better performance graphics and gameplay features because of the GP

Developer many of them are super excited for the Wii U and the U GP since last years E3 so many Developer are hard at working on titles for the system as we speak now as for Nintendos Handheld well it is already a success the Nintendo DS is still selling freaking well the 3DS is doing good now that the pricve was dropped so yea umm they have a success

We already have Ubisoft that is Developing Zombi U a new title AAA title we have ubisoft and other developer Porting over some of there current games but with some big enhancements not only in the graphics but the Wii U Gamepad . we have up coming games that willl be on all 3 platforms but Wii U will be the Top Tier version with better performance graphics and gameplay features because of the GP

not if Colonial marines is anything to go by. For the Nintendo fan who can see nothing from from nintendo then yeah. from the average person, eh it's kinda gimmicky and doesn't bring anything useful to the gameplay in most cases, for the core gamer and gamer enthusiast, it break immersion by trying to be clever.

Epic have already said that the Wii U can't or won't be running the UE4 engine.

Epic never stated the wii u couldnt run it just that they wont port the engine to it. Big difference.

not if Colonial marines is anything to go by. For the Nintendo fan who can see nothing from from nintendo then yeah. from the average person, eh it's kinda gimmicky and doesn't bring anything useful to the gameplay in most cases, for the core gamer and gamer enthusiast, it break immersion by trying to be clever.

You know, outside of yourself, I don't recall anyone claiming it breaks immersion. You keep tooting his horn and I don't really see anyone else tooting it with you.

Just sayin'.

So you think the Wii U will be capable of playing the new CoD, Resistance, Forza or GT without that much of a noticeable graphical downgrade?

The same console that is limited to 30fps when 2 people are playing?

I have no doubt in my mind that it'll be capable of CoD, since that's just a crap game to start with. Everything else. No problem. 2 Wii-U Gamepads cause the FPS to drop to 30. Not 2 people. You can have 5 people playing on the Wii-U at once. If there's only 1 Wii-U Pad. It's gonna be able to do 60FPS. If the game isn't too crazy advanced.

If a 7 year old GPU in the Xbox and PS3 can run those games without issue. Why wouldn't a 3 year old GPU be capable of better graphics?

The real question is, 1.5 year down the line when MS and sony releases their stuff, will the Wii U be able to run Forza and CoD whatever it is by then, and in 6 years time the next GT ;)

The real question is, 1.5 year down the line when MS and sony releases their stuff, will the Wii U be able to run Forza and CoD whatever it is by then, and in 6 years time the next GT ;)

I didn't know that MS announced Forza for the Wii U. Games like CoD will look alright on any system with modern hardware. From what is show about the specs the GPU is fairly powerful for the price.

I didn't know that MS announced Forza for the Wii U. Games like CoD will look alright on any system with modern hardware. From what is show about the specs the GPU is fairly powerful for the price.

completely missed the point didn't you.

completely missed the point didn't you.

No, I didn't. The Wii U was built to be better than the current generation of consoles but be able to keep up with the next generation. The GPU that powers it is able to run Directx 11 rather well from my short bit of time of searching. Nintendo seems to be doing a better job of future proofing their console this time.

problem is the Wii is generation 4.2 the othe rnext gens are going to be Generation 5 (just sayign we're at gen 3 now, though we should be a bit higher than that, but it's just a number for simplification)

it's not keeping up with next gen.

problem is the Wii is generation 4.2 the othe next gens are going to be Generation 5 (just saying we're at gen 3 now, though we should be a bit higher than that, but it's just a number for simplification)

it's not keeping up with next gen.

You mean 8th generation of consoles, right? (The gen Wii U is going to be a part of). 7th is the current crop of consoles. 5th was Saturn, Playstation, N64.

Or am I confusing something?

You mean 8th generation of consoles, right? (The gen Wii U is going to be a part of). 7th is the current crop of consoles. 5th was Saturn, Playstation, N64.

Or am I confusing something?

Maybe if you read the part in the parenthesis, as I didn't feel like counting previous console generations I just added an arbitrary number.

Netflix Wii U demonstrated

Nice, you can watch Netflix on the Wii-U gamepad. I wonder if the gamepad will have a headphone input.

edit: its does have a headphone input in the back I did not hear the guy because my vol. was low.

Maybe if you read the part in the parenthesis, as I didn't feel like counting previous console generations I just added an arbitrary number.

So you're saying we're at "3" right now, but should be higher.. but the Wii is 4.2. So the wii is a different gen than Xbox/PS3.. and that next gen is gen 5. Completely skipping Gen 4.

Do you think the Wii-U is just going to stop working once MS/Sony release their next consoles? What is the reasoning behind thinking that some games won't be able to run on the Wii-U?

So you're saying we're at "3" right now, but should be higher.. but the Wii is 4.2. So the wii is a different gen than Xbox/PS3.. and that next gen is gen 5. Completely skipping Gen 4.

Do you think the Wii-U is just going to stop working once MS/Sony release their next consoles? What is the reasoning behind thinking that some games won't be able to run on the Wii-U?

No I'm saying that we're on Gen X now. the next Consoles will be gen X+1 but the Wii U is Gen X+0.2. better than Gen X, but not even close to Gen X+1 or "next gen"

The Wii U, will be the same as the Wii, it won't have all the Triple A games that the new MS and Sony consoles will have since the devs won't be willing to spend the time double coding for a console that's so much slower, and just like the Wii it'll be much weaker than the competition. it'll have one good year when it's more powerful than the xbox and PS, but what we'll see mostly is that the devs won't be putting to much energy into making stuff better on the Wii, they'll run games at 1080 instead of ~720(maybe, at this point even that seem unsure though as some have said they won't) and they'll run games at a higher LOD and with better post processing. basically stuff that doesn't cost much resources to change, in fact LOD is just a value they change makign high def models show at longer distances and popping to occur farther away, and is generally handled dynamically by the engine anyway.

........... :s

The Wii-U will be in the next generation of consoles, not this Generation+0.made-up-number. It is Nintendo's next console offering for people.

No I'm saying that we're on Gen X now. the next Consoles will be gen X+1 but the Wii U is Gen X+0.2. better than Gen X, but not even close to Gen X+1 or "next gen"

The Wii U, will be the same as the Wii, it won't have all the Triple A games that the new MS and Sony consoles will have since the devs won't be willing to spend the time double coding for a console that's so much slower, and just like the Wii it'll be much weaker than the competition. it'll have one good year when it's more powerful than the xbox and PS, but what we'll see mostly is that the devs won't be putting to much energy into making stuff better on the Wii, they'll run games at 1080 instead of ~720(maybe, at this point even that seem unsure though as some have said they won't) and they'll run games at a higher LOD and with better post processing. basically stuff that doesn't cost much resources to change, in fact LOD is just a value they change makign high def models show at longer distances and popping to occur farther away, and is generally handled dynamically by the engine anyway.

And you'll be dead wrong. The Wii was never more powerful than Xbox/PS3. You're basing your information on Bull. Wii-U Already has a lineup of Triple A 3rd party games coming. More to come. It's the system that will get the same games Xbox/PS3 get, and it'll get the same games the next Xbox/PS get. It's as simple as that really.

You're expecting a massive jump in graphics with next gen hardware that just simply isn't going to happen at the drop of a hat.

And you'll be dead wrong. The Wii was never more powerful than Xbox/PS3. You're basing your information on Bull. Wii-U Already has a lineup of Triple A 3rd party games coming. More to come. It's the system that will get the same games Xbox/PS3 get, and it'll get the same games the next Xbox/PS get. It's as simple as that really.

You're expecting a massive jump in graphics with next gen hardware that just simply isn't going to happen at the drop of a hat.

Yes, that's what I said.

And as I said. the Wii U will get Triple A titles only while the 360 and PS3 gets them. after that, they're not going to waste the resources downgrading graphcis to the Wii U level .

I can only conclude that you didn't read my post at all.

It'll only get the same Triple A games as the PS4 and Xbox Next in the same way the Wii get the Same Triple A titles the 360 and PS3 does. which is it doesn't get them and the few it does get isn't the same game at all and can hardly be desrcibed as Triple A anymore.