Rumour: Nokia focus testing a new dual-core Windows Phone

Citing an unnamed sources, MobilityDigest claims Nokia has been using focus groups to test a new line of devices. The device their source was allowed to see last week had the following specs:

3.5? ? 4? screen (no mention of AMOLED or LCD)

Dual-core CPU (undisclosed clock speed or manufacturer)

8MP Camera (no pureview )

Very rectangular design with sharp edges

Cheap plastic body

MobilityDigest speculates the handset may be a mid to low-end model, but apparently the handset was pitted in the focus group against a Samsung Galaxy III, some quad-core HTC model, and an iPhone 4s, suggesting a higher status.

MobilityDigest?s source did not reveal more, and it could very well be that the focus group was more about the OS (presumably Windows Phone icon_cool.gif?e83a2c than the hardware, which may have just been a prototype case.

http://mobilitydigest.com/rumor-new-nokia-windows-phone-device-specs-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MobilityDigest+%28Mobility+Digest%29

Plastic body, I'm thinking a new 7x0 model maybe.

You know what? I think this might actually just be a test device. Instead of going all out with building a wonderful phone from the off, they build a test device to get the hardware to intertwine with each other and once they have that they can focus on aesthetics.

Plastic case? Seriously? ^.-

Just Kidding.

Nice to see them testing Dual-Core. Wondering why they don't jump to quad-core so that they can boast about it on adverts like new Android phones.

Just Kidding.

Nice to see them testing Dual-Core. Wondering why they don't jump to quad-core so that they can boast about it on adverts like new Android phones.

It depends on what they're testing, if we're looking at testing for what could turn into a new mid-range device then dual core makes sense with quad core being the high end and any single core devices hitting the low end. Sounds like the best way to split the 3 actually.

They need to focus test a better marketing campaign. The best hardware in the world is irrelevant when only 2% of the population knows about it.

• Like 1

They need to focus test a better marketing campaign. The best hardware in the world is irrelevant when only 2% of the population knows about it.

Yeah, I think Nokia and Microsoft needs to advertise more.

• Like 1

Not just more, but better. You can bet the new FB integration in ios will feature prominently in their ads but MS has barely said a word about it. Poor execution all round.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. Scrap focusing on specs or these arty style ads and start showing off what can be achieved. Even if it means taking a page (or a chapter) from Apple's book.

advertising does nothing if you dont have the big apps that people know. they cant do a commercial like apple does that show off instagram, words with friends, angry birds space ( I hated typing that) etc. All MS can do is have a commercial showing tiles flipping.

Just Kidding.

Depends on the plastic. The Lumia's polycarbonate is plastic. And then there's ABS engineering plastic. Not all plastics are created equal ;)

advertising does nothing if you dont have the big apps that people know. they cant do a commercial like apple does that show off instagram, words with friends, angry birds space ( I hated typing that) etc. All MS can do is have a commercial showing tiles flipping.

Big apps is what Joe talked about when you brought up the native code element to WP8. There really is no reason why those iOS and Android apps can't be ported over to WP8 now, there's no real limit to the framework or SDK to hold them back anymore. Plus I think any Windows 8 app that can also run on the smaller phone screen should see it self ported to WP8 in time.

But it's really one of those catch 22s, depending on how you look at it, do you need the apps to sell the phones or do you have to sell the phones first to bring in the big apps?