Hot to force Pagefile into the external HDD ?

My old laptop have only 4GB of internal HDD. I was thinking about buying a bigger one, but it seem laptop HDD is still very expensive. So I decided to buy a 60GB 7200rpm external firewire HDD($50 after rebate at CompUSA) for my laptop.

I'm trying to save every space on my internal HDD by install all other applications on the external HDD. Actually, I was thinking about install all the system on the external HDD, but Windows XP won't allow me to do that.

Now, I want to move the Pagefile(Virtual Memory) from internal HDD to the external one because I want to save the space and the external HDD seem to run much faster than the internal one(7200rpm VS 4200rpm). But Windows XP won't move Pagefile to the external HDD. It didn't show any warning or error message, but it just won't move.

I'm wondering is there any way to force Windows XP to move the Pagefile to the External HDD?

Thanks,

Edit: I can't edit my Headline. It should be How, not Hot. :D

Edited by Kasteo

it probably won't let you because it's an external drive and if it is ever disconnected, windows won't be able to use the file or make a new one, causing a crash on bootup.

hit the windows key and pause key to bring up the system properties window, then into advanced...and since i'm at work right now and on win2k, things get a bit different, but look around there for the virtual memory settings, and once you get in there...you need to set you c drive's paging file size to 0 so it isn't there anymore, and tell it you want whatever size paging file you want on the external drive, hit set, apply, ok, and reboot....not sure what kind of performance you will get with this setup...but it should work for you.

Hey thanks for the help guys, but it's not working. I set C drive pagefile to 0MB then hit Set and Apply, it will return to "No Paging File" option. Then I set external drive pagefile to 960MB then apply. It accept that setting.

But after I reboot the system, pagefile is still sit in C drive and there is no pagefile on External drive eventhough in the setting page it's showing "No Paging File" for C(internal) drive and 960MB for the external drive.

I'm wondering if WindowsXP won't allow me to set pagefile to the external drive it should show some warning or error. But everything seem fine even the configuration page showing pagefile set to External drive, but it just won't move.

Anyother trick to force it to the external drive?

Its probably not going to work. Since the drive isn't there on boot Windows wouldn't be able to access the file and so just rebuilds it on the root drive.

Thats the only thing I can think of.

Its probably not going to work. Since the drive isn't there on boot Windows wouldn't be able to access the file and so just rebuilds it on the root drive.

Thats the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, that's a very good point. Hmm.... now I'm thinking about to return this External HDD and buy the Internal one. It seem I can't do much stuffs with the external drive... maybe Windows Longhorn will be better.

what makes you think longhorn will be better in this aspect? :blink: a page file's a page file, it doesn't change much... :ermm:

Nah, that's just what I hope for. The newer Windows version might be able to manage those external devices better than the current one..... but I don't know if it is or not.... just hope it will....

i've actually tried this procedure but it doesnt give a good performance and the comment posted earlier was right as well.