Likelyhood of the next xbox inculding a blu-ray drive?

I think it will have bd but I also think MS will make a stronger push for GoD this time around for those who have the connections to use it. I also think that at some point in the future we'll get away from optical media and probably back to a flash card type system. Optical will end up running into a size limit while games keep getting bigger in size. After that there is also the massive difference in performance between the two. When we start trying to play games with even bigger sizes opticals slower read speeds will end up being a problem I think. Who wants even longer and longer load times as games get bigger and bigger?

I agree that in the future, near future, that it will turn into that, if not something similar. But as of next gen, it isn't going to happen. Until Movie Production companies start it, we most likely wont see it become mainstream anytime soon. While games are rising, movies have always seemed to be the medium to test new technology on the public.

This thread is still going :|

For Microsoft it's either :

1) Include a blu-ray reader.

2) Give next gen victory to sony.

I think MS will choose option 1.

I agree that in the future, near future, that it will turn into that, if not something similar. But as of next gen, it isn't going to happen. Until Movie Production companies start it, we most likely wont see it become mainstream anytime soon. While games are rising, movies have always seemed to be the medium to test new technology on the public.

That's true, I dunno when movie studios will look for something new though. Maybe with 4k coming and if people get new tvs with it in good number then maybe they'll start to look. But even with 4k I think the current BD discs will still be enough.

That's true, I dunno when movie studios will look for something new though. Maybe with 4k coming and if people get new tvs with it in good number then maybe they'll start to look. But even with 4k I think the current BD discs will still be enough.

Same here. It will be hard to get the public to grasp smaller tech such as flash drives. Disc are , IMHO, a good size. Easy to see, easy to find, easy to not lose. But flash drives... I don't know how many I've lost over the years. They are small and indestinquishable from a lot of other objects. I would hate to have just a pile of flash drives for movies, having to look at each small one to figure out what is in it. I'm sure some marketing guy could get around that, but it's just 1 issue I have with flashdrives being pushed. There are other issues such as locking a flash drive's content and cost and other things I don't really feel like trying to think about. :p

And while GoD might be coming, there are issues with that. My biggest grip is about sound. I have a great theater sound system, and streamed/downloaded games normally have downgraded sound to save space. Physical media at least can offer amazing sound.

They're expanding the BD specs for 4K blu-ray.

-------

I know people think BD is "dead", but they're wrong. Streaming games or going all digital is viable yet. BD will be around and stay around for ages.

• 2 months later...