Wisdom teeth removal, anesthesia, secrets told?

I am worried about getting my wisdom teeth pulled because a couple people told me that when you wake up after your teeth are removed you are out of it and sometimes tell secrets. I really dont want that to happen to me. Is this true, do people share stuff they wouldnt normally share after waking up from being put under?

the dentist said i should definitely be put under since they are impacted and i really dont want to be awake during the surgery

I presume you're talking about the having a general anaesthetic. I don't know whether it makes you tell secrets but if you're that worried (and have such important secrets to keep to yourself :laugh:) then you could always have a local anaesthetic instead. I had all four wisdom teeth out last year and opted for a local rather than general anaesthetic and it was fine. To be honest, the pain is worse for the week following the removal.

why would you be put under?

I just had on of mine removed, local anesthetic, and it was a somewhat hard one he had to split in to first. Didn't really feel anything after the needles.

as for fully under, you shouldn't talk anymore than you do in your sleep.

You probably will only be recommended to be put to sleep if your wisdom teeth are impacted by your jaw bone. If it's just removing the teeth, they'll just numb you so you can't feel them take it out.

why would you be put under?

I just had on of mine removed, local anesthetic, and it was a somewhat hard one he had to split in to first. Didn't really feel anything after the needles.

as for fully under, you shouldn't talk anymore than you do in your sleep.

mine are really deep and impacted so i need to be put to sleep. I am not worried about what i will say during the procedure its AFTER when i wake up. That is when people will say weird stuff and share secrets

First off if they are "impacted" you won't be able to talk due the gauze in your mouth...that is a wives tale about it causing you to tell secrets.

http://anesthesioboist.blogspot.com/2008/12/truth-serum.html

Sometimes patients ask after they wake up from anesthesia, "Did I say anything embarrassing?"

The truth is, the answer is usually no, and our usual response to anyone who asks that question is an innocuous, general reassurance like, "You did fine! You're just waking up and everthing went well."

But I understand completely the questions that must lurk in the back of people's minds over "being put under" a general anesthetic. To require people to put their lives in another's hands and relinquish all control of their minds and bodies to a total stranger is almost too much to ask. Why should we have that kind of trust, often after only a few moments of conversation?

mine are really deep and impacted so i need to be put to sleep. I am not worried about what i will say during the procedure its AFTER when i wake up. That is when people will say weird stuff and share secrets

I'd say if you're hiding stuff that badly, and you assume you might tell them. Well maybe it's time for them to not be secrets any more.

I have never heard of that as a side effect and I doubt you would be able to mutter anything anyway after having such a surgery on your mouth it will just come out as blablablebeblebehehblah to which the people around you will nod their heads and say uh huh :p

when i had my wisdom teeth removed earlier this year i only did the local numbing, i didn't feel a thing even when he used the buzz saw to remove the two that were impacted

you by no means HAVE to use an anesthesia, if you're uncomfortable with it just don't use it

I have never heard of that as a side effect and I doubt you would be able to mutter anything anyway after having such a surgery on your mouth it will just come out as blablablebeblebehehblah to which the people around you will nod their heads and say uh huh :p

not necessarily true, it all depends on how fast you swell, i was able to talk completely fine right after mine were removed

when the doctor called a few hours later to check up he was surprised i was able to speak so clearly :p

Have good teeth that do not require getting pulled out, problem solved.

lol easier said then done :p

I am worried about getting my wisdom teeth pulled because a couple people told me that when you wake up after your teeth are removed you are out of it and sometimes tell secrets. I really dont want that to happen to me. Is this true, do people share stuff they wouldnt normally share after waking up from being put under?

the dentist said i should definitely be put under since they are impacted and i really dont want to be awake during the surgery

I had my wisdom teeth removed and when I got home, I noticed all of my bank accounts had been wiped out. The dentist had stolen all my money because I told him my account numbers and passwords while under anesthesia.

Fortunately, I kept the wisdom teeth under my pillow and the tooth fairy replenished all of the missing money the following night.

Not sure if serious.

:huh:

I agree with the two people above, if the doctor is trying to tell you that you HAVE to be put to sleep I'd go get a second opinion because it sounds to me like he's trying to rip you off

My wisdom teeth were impacted as well, but after I woke up I only felt "out of it," but I was completely aware of everything that I was saying.

I'm pretty sure this was the same for me--and anyway, as others have said, your mouth is full of gauze when you first wake up, and for quite a while afterwards. I don't think I took it out until I'd gotten home and was clear-headed (albeit sleepy, very sleepy).

It's just easier to be put to sleep, especially if they are impacted. I sure wouldn't want to sit there while the surgeon is sawing away at the bone. I had 3 wisdom teeth and 2 were impacted, so I opted to be put under. Feels nice and quick that way.

I doubt you would spill any sort of secrets. Honestly it just feels like you are in a strange drunken-like state, and it's difficult to talk anyway. When I woke up, I couldn't feel my tongue, but could feel the wads of gauze in my mouth, so I thought I had bitten my tongue off and spit the blood soaked gauze out onto the floor. Good times.

It was a good solid month of suffering with the pain of eating and getting crap caught in there, but mostly because I don't care for pain killers and figured I'd take it like a bitch and suck it up. No big deal now that it's over though.

About 15 years ago I had all mine pulled at once. They were all impacting the other teeth and staring to push them up. When I consulted with them, they gave me choice and it went something like this:

"Well, you have two choices, choice one - they numb you up and then they have to split your teeth using a tool (They showed me what it looked like YIKES!), and believe me, you DON'T want to be awake to experience that let alone hear it. Second choice is to sleep during the procedure."

I chose #2. When I woke up, I didn't say anything because my mouth was so full of gauze and my jaw was very sore. I was pretty quiet for the rest of that day. For the next week, I had pain killers and was fine just not ready to greet the world with a swollen mouth. The week following, I was okay and pretty much back to normal, sans the missing teeth. :)

I had all my teeth removed, and guess what, I didn't spill any secrets, so whomever told you that you'd do that is full of ****!