[WEB HOSTING] Buy a domain from go Daddy and host somewhere else?

Hello,

is it possible to buy a domain name from goDaddy and then do the hosting somewhere else?

(Free hosting or cheaper hosting, by a different provider?)

thank u in advance

Yes. Once you have purchased the domain, in the domain admin settings there will be something called "Nameservers".

Find the nameservers that the hosting company use and enter these instead of whatever is in there to begin with.

Most hosting companies will have a tutorial on how to do this so just have a look in their support section,

EDIT: as an example, some of my domains are bought through Vidahost but hosted with www.000webhost.com as it's completely free.

personally id buy it all from the same place. i recently did this (have a domain from place 1 and get hosting from place 2) and it makes tech support so stupid (on both sides)

if the price is way cheaper, of course by all means but....

Yes. Once you have purchased the domain, in the domain admin settings there will be something called "Nameservers".

Find the nameservers that the hosting company use and enter these instead of whatever is in there to begin with.

Most hosting companies will have a tutorial on how to do this so just have a look in their support section,

I see,

thank you both :-)

thanks, can u give a small hint on how to do so?

Buy your domain name, then buy your hosting from wherever you choose, and set it up with the domain name that you have purchased. Then, using GoDaddy, change the nameservers for your domain to your host's nameservers. I'll provide more detailed information if you require it.

Buy your domain name, then buy your hosting from wherever you choose, and set it up with the domain name that you have purchased. Then, using GoDaddy, change the nameservers for your domain to your host's nameservers. I'll provide more detailed information if you require it.

that's fine for me.

thanks for your time :D

the better question is why would you ever want to buy anything from godaddy? check out namecheap or name.com or hover or pretty much anywhere else for a superior place to buy a domain from.

+1000000 for namecheap. godaddy isn't very cheap and the domain manager interface is really bad and also they were one of the key sopa/pipa supporters and the ceo was proud to shoot the elephant.

terrible domain company. namecheap is so much cheaper and thier domain manager is much easier and quicker to use. very nice.

also for hosting I could get you setup at inetu a really good enterprise level host.

personally id buy it all from the same place. i recently did this (have a domain from place 1 and get hosting from place 2) and it makes tech support so stupid (on both sides)

if the price is way cheaper, of course by all means but....

For most users this is a good thing to do, but I have had problems when I have had to domains from a hosting company. One I had was from Microsoft that hosted for a client. It turned out that they got their domains from a well known company in Australia. That was a big deal to me because I am in Oregon and a very expensive long distance call since emails were not working at the time for me.

I personally buy my domains separately for this very reason. Not to also say that if the company you host with goes under, (Fails), you risk losing the domain names. Since I own my own hosting company, I just point to my own servers, Most of my clients I have on my server that I have re-built, or built their site with, were either using Go Daddy (one still is), or their phone company which offered poor hosting experience and design. When we moved them from their hosting company's control, it made it a heck of a lot cheaper for them and easier for them to move from host to host. (I used to buy different hosting accounts for each customer.) When it came to transfer, having no control by the other host made it easy to re-point the domain to the new server's IP.

I'm using NameCheap and they have been outstanding. Overall it's saving us about $120 a year. Not a lot of money, but why pay MORE for poorer service?

We have multiple domain names with them and have never had anything go wrong. Set and forget >.<

@Eliokh - DNS is just a phone book for the net. You can move houses and just change your number in the book and off you go >.<

I just wanted to weigh in and say stay away from GoDaddy and use NameCheap instead. Not only are they more affordable but they don't bombard you with ads and put junk in your basket when you're trying to make orders on their site. It's just a good registerer. Their control panel for managing your domains is very good too. Much clearer than GoDaddy's.

They have that damned annoying thing where in you can only make 5 new entries to a domain at a time through their control panel :\

You have to save the changes and let the page refresh to make 5 new boxes for you to enter things into..

BAD CODING BUDDY (them not Vice (but probably him as well >.>)).

+1 on the namecheap, back with the sopa stuff I had moved my 5 domains to namecheap. And tell you for sure the interface is cleaner, and you don't get spammed with emails from them daily asking for you to buy more stuff ;)

• Like 2

GoDaddy hosting is a really bad idea. A friend of mine purchased a domain + hosting 2 days ago and the FTP upload doesn't work. Contacting GD didn't help at all and after more than 48 hours I still struggle with the GD support to fix the problem. That's bad, very bad considering that the FTP upload works instantaneously with HostGator or BlueHost.

GoDaddy hosting is a really bad idea. A friend of mine purchased a domain + hosting 2 days ago and the FTP upload doesn't work. Contacting GD didn't help at all and after more than 48 hours I still struggle with the GD support to fix the problem. That's bad, very bad considering that the FTP upload works instantaneously with HostGator or BlueHost.

had the same for a client and good luck running any Content Management Systems... permissions didn't even apply properly and I had to call them to get them to stay. no matter what I did to the files the permissions wouldn't even work. took mt 4 hours to install a simple CMS and then after that hell I had even more getting the databases to work properly. I thought would be a quick 10 minute tops install and took 8 hours. This was back when I only had 450 anytime minutes on ATT wireless a month.... I had freaking overages becuase of them! rageface.png one of the rare times I've had overages on a cellphone bill. This was back in 2006. I have refused to deal with clients that are hosted on godaddy for this kind of work since. I will refer them to another hosting company and gladly help them setup on it for free just to make my job easier and their experience better.

• 3 weeks later...