Nintendo has two choices: fix the Wii U marketing, or get screwed

?This is the new thing. This is the new system. You add it to your Wii, or you don?t even need to use the Wii? do you need to use the Wii? You can just use it on your own,? Jimmy Fallon said during a confusing opening monologue on Friday?s show. He was trying to hype the Wii U as the next big thing in video games, and Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime helped to keep Fallon on message during the main segment, but we?re seeing this sort of confusion from the mainstream press and gamers, not to mention confusion about the capabilities of the system itself.

You can explain the Nintendo DS in a sentence: it?s a portable system with two screens and touch controls. The 3DS is the same: a portable system with two screens, touch controls, and glasses-free 3D. The Wii is a video game console that allows you to play by moving your hands and arms, making it more welcoming to a wide variety of gamers. The Wii U is a system that?s like the Wii and uses those controllers but also can use a tablet controller that is either a separate screen or the main screen and you can add a second tablet-style controller later but not at launch. Also some games will use a combination of the tablet, Wii controllers, or the upcoming Pro controller.

Good luck with that.

Continue Reading

Is it just me, or does Nintendo's marketing people need to be mercilessly rapped across the knuckles?

The right path for Wii would've been to turn into something like Kinect. They pushed motion controls for years and now they're reverting back to traditional game controls? The branding for Wii U is a mess, but you can tell that even Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing.

The right path for Wii would've been to turn into something like Kinect. They pushed motion controls for years and now they're reverting back to traditional game controls? The branding for Wii U is a mess, but you can tell that even Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing.

The motion control is still there - the WiiU and nearly all of the launch games support the Wii Remote + Nunchuck as a control option, the gamepad itself actually also supports motion controls (Gyro + accelerometer), and it can also function as a sensor bar for the WiiRemote.

FYI, Reggie did correct him when it came to his segment of the show, telling Jimmy it was both the console and the gamepad that made up the complete WiiU package. Frankly I don't think they have to fix their marketing because they don't have any proper marketing for it yet, that'll come closer to launch. But they certainly do have a job in front of them to make it clear that the differences actually are. Hell, even Wii 2 would be a far better name.

Personally I think they had the same problem and still do with the 3DS, where people think it's just a 3D capable DS, and not realising there's a generational leap in graphical and processing capabilities as well.

Great read. Pretty funny how CNN initially mistook the Wii U as a peripheral for the Wii, though I suppose Nintendo needs to shoulder at least some of the blame for their horrible marketing.

I always felt like Nintendo's biggest asset in this console generation was the DS and portable gaming in general. I really loved my DS (and still do) and I had absolutely no desire to get a Wii. I'm sure I'm not the only person who felt that way. I suppose the problem now is that Nintendo can't rely solely on their portable sales to keep them relevant in a world where iOS gaming is so strong and where Sony finally has a handheld that looks like it might be able to compete (though even this will depend on Sony's handling of the opportunity, which up until now hasn't been great). I would venture to say that the Wii U will be more important for Nintendo in this coming generation than the Wii was in this current generation, and from that perspective, their handling of the Wii U's marketing is very worrying indeed.

I'm intrigued about the WiiU. It's still way too early to pass judgement on it.

I'm sure that they'll market the crap out of it closer to launch. Nintendo always seems to be quiet until the big day.

To be fair....if they had come up with something like the Kinect I would have probably skipped the WiiU entirely

To be fair....if they had come up with something like the Kinect I would have probably skipped the WiiU entirely

That.

My bedroom isn't big enough to use something like Kinect, and im not sure I actually have a room big enough in the house to use it.

they need some games that can compete with the likes of skyrim, minecraft, trials:evolution, halo, half life, fallout, etc.... and DROP THE FREAKING SHOVELWARE!!!!!!!! most wii games were shovelware.

To be fair, Jimmy Fallon feels like a total phony when talking about it altogether. I mean, the console could've flung actual human waste on him, and he'd still be like, "MAN IS THIS SO REALISTIC WOWW!!" Seriously, that whole segment made me cringe. :pinch:

Still, doesn't change the fact that many won't understand what the Wii U is unless Nintendo markets it right.

they need some games that can compete with the likes of skyrim, minecraft, trials:evolution, halo, half life, fallout, etc.... and DROP THE FREAKING SHOVELWARE!!!!!!!! most wii games were shovelware.

Unfortunately it's not Nintendo who made the shovelware. It was the likes of Ubisoft, THQ and EA. Though it doesn't help that the majority of the actual unique, A class titles that made it to the system were lost under that crap - but of course shovelware was also easier given the cheaper development costs and lower "expected" standards. Which I wouldn't imagine the case to be on the WiiU.

thing is nintendo didn't give full access to the majority of devs or they had crappy terms that most devs didn't wanna mess with... or so I've heard....

also WHERE THE HELL IS MY STARFOX GAME FOR THE WII?!

Yea so because Nintendo didnt market the Wii U 100% right people assumes the Wii U Gamepad made there Wii produce the graphics we saw last year like on the Garden Tech demo and oh how about Zombie U this year . i just think CNN is just idots to assume the Wii U gamepad is an Add-on to the Current Wii .

If all i needed was a Wii U gamepad to instantly make my Wii produce graphics like that i would be in heaven

also WHERE THE HELL IS MY STARFOX GAME FOR THE WII?!

Well, no Starfox for Wii but... GUESS WHAT?! STAR FOX 64 FOR 3DS!!! YESSSS IRIGHT?! U WANT MOR REMAKE?!! YESSSSS!! YES 2 ALL!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

that's all a lot of game studios are doing these days.... sucks...

To be fair, Jimmy Fallon feels like a total phony when talking about it altogether. .

To be fair, Jimmy Fallon IS a ****ing idiot.

• 2 months later...

Motion controls didn't really go anywhere, even the Kinect hasn't gone that far. The DS on the other hand was incredibly successful, and the Wii U is literally the DS of home consoles. It makes sense. Now whether it'll succeed is a different question, but what they're trying isn't crazy at all.

To be fair, Jimmy Fallon IS a ****ing idiot.

I think, like George W. Bush, he just plays one incredibly well. People watch him because his act is funny (to them), he's not going to mess with a cash cow - that would be stupid.