Surface and Metro: This party's just gettin' started.

Personally I think the RT version will sell fairly well but I'm not so sure about the pro one

The Pro one could do reasonably well in corporate environments. If only because it's the only one capable of running desktop software. From what I've read Windows RT only has the desktop to run Office 2013, in any case it won't be able to run current Windows software.

I can see the surface pro being a big seller if the can keep it under $1000.

Probably have already been some price estimates but i havent seen any.

I'm going to start saving up for one now haha

Core i5 Ivybridge, 10.6" 1080p Screen, will probably have some form of SSD, I doubt very much they can keep it under $1000. I predict around $1199 or $1299

I checked out the Mac Rumors forum and what I found was shocking. Other than the usual rabid fanboy jackholes, most are surprisingly optimistic about the Surface.

I checked out the Mac Rumors forum and what I found was shocking. Other than the usual rabid fanboy jackholes, most are surprisingly optimistic about the Surface.

Why do you people have such a hard time understanding that Apple isn't some religion for the vast majority of its users? Only a small minority, albeit a loud one, will stick with the company no matter what. Most will simply move on to something else if the competition releases something they like more. You say you hate iSheep, but honestly if you can't see this you're not any better yourself.

If Microsoft's Surface turns out to be a better experience for roughly the same money I'll dump my new iPad in a heartbeat. The hardware and touch pad definitely look appealing, Windows 8 could use a lot more polish.

Kick ass hardware overall, really truly impressed by the hardware so far (although the RT version not being 1080p may ultimately hurt it IMO), but seems they are keeping their tradition of implementing awful launch strategies.

They are basically saying the pro version will be available "3 months after the release of Windows 8," which means they could very well miss a holiday launch.

Keeping this in mind, the next version of the iPad is then right around the corner.

Really poor decision on their behalf to launch the pro version like that. I am guessing they had no choice and it all comes down to manufacturing, but really not the best strategy. Will see if it winds up hurting them or not, but so far, it is a very rocky start IMO.

• Like 2

fanboyism RIP 2012

Kick ass hardware overall, really truly impressed by the hardware so far (although the RT version not being 1080p may ultimately hurt it IMO), but seems they are keeping their tradition of implementing awful launch strategies.

They are basically saying the pro version will be available "3 months after the release of Windows 8," which means they could very well miss a holiday launch.

Keeping this in mind, the next version of the iPad is then right around the corner.

Really poor decision on their behalf to launch the pro version like that. I am guessing they had no choice and it all comes down to manufacturing, but really not the best strategy. Will see if it winds up hurting them or not, but so far, it is a very rocky start IMO.

maybe to refine the software and hardware to have it more perfected for pros... consumers will be the guinea pigs... regular consumption devices have lower demands... the pro version has to be done to higher standards. this could be the reason.

You know, if they are delaying it, it's for a good reason.

Windows 8 RTM is expected for August, so the Windows 8 Pro Surface should land in november/december before xmas (at least in the USA).

isnt windows 8 going to be released in August? 3 months after that is the holiday season, which may be a aprt of the strategy.

I can see treating myself to a nice gift this xmas :p

Windows 8 could RTM in August. Actual retail availability will take some time after that.

Personally I think the RT version will sell fairly well but I'm not so sure about the pro one

I can easily see lot of business contracts picking up large numbers of the Pro tablets - its pretty much the dream work environment tablet (something that's actually useful - full Windows desktop, digital pen, tablet, laptop and desktop usage, TPM, efficient touch and desktop UI's, great performance) - and those kind of sales could easily offset a lesser number of individual sales in the consumer market. Whereas the consumer market will probably tend more to the ARM version, if only because it's cheap. I'm sure most of us here would go for the Pro too.

isnt windows 8 going to be released in August? 3 months after that is the holiday season, which may be a aprt of the strategy.

I can see treating myself to a nice gift this xmas :p

I have always thought it was October.

Regardless, there is still not solid release date, even if it is August 3 months is November, and that is assuming they actually hit the 3 months, which is what I am saying. Since they are putting 3 months in quotes, I personally do not seem them hitting it, as it just seems pretty vague. If they knew they could definitely make Holiday, they would say Holiday.

Obviously they have their reasons for delaying it, just as I stated I think it potentially can hurt them big time.

Is it true the Surface has vents and cooling fans? :/

They state it has vents to let heat escape from the Pro version, there is no mention whatsoever that it has fans and frankly with something so small I don't see why it'd need them.

They state it has vents to let heat escape from the Pro version, there is no mention whatsoever that it has fans and frankly with something so small I don't see why it'd need them.

That's good. (Y)

Glad to see some people are excited about this new tablet from MS.

After reading some of the articles on ZDNet. Wonder why they still report on MS if they hate it so much

The only reason I still visit ZDNet is because of Ed Bott's articles. He's the only author over there who puts dedication, passion, and not to mention ****ing research into his articles. I feel bad that he's still writing over at that waste of space.

As for Surface, I can honestly say I will be putting money away for a Pro tablet, and will be watching it closely to see how it finishes up. I know for a fact that since Microsoft knows what it feels like to wear egg on their face all too well, this tablet will have to be flawless. The release execution will have to be flawless. This kind of tablet is what I think many have been waiting for.

• Like 2

The only reason I still visit ZDNet is because of Ed Bott's articles. He's the only author over there who puts dedication, passion, and not to mention ****ing research into his articles. I feel bad that he's still writing over at that waste of space.

Funny because I avoid ZDNet because of Ed lol. The guy is a joke :/

The release execution will have to be flawless.

This above anything Microsoft has to be sure not to screw up. For their sake I really hope they've learned from the huge mistakes they made with the Zune (no international launch) and Windows Phone 7 (launch in countries without support so much as the language).

Personally I think that Microsoft is getting pi-sedoff with the crap job that many of the OEM's are doing - I for one even as a Mac would love to see Microsoft buy out Nokia and HP then turn themselves into an Apple of the Windows world because right now what is destroying Microsoft's brand isn't the products but the OEM's who pollute their machines loaded with Windows by jamming crapware down the throats of end users. It really is getting beyond a joke when even their most closet partners can't even get the most basic things correct - Samsung with their crappy bootloader that caused problems with the Windows Phone 7 upgrade, then the crappy hardware specifications for Windows Phone 7 devices where 16GB storage is considered 'premium' by the likes of Samsung, Nokia and HTC. To then add insult to injury we have vendors like HP, Lenovo and Dell not properly implementing ACPI and UEFI resulting in installation of Windows that are butchered up the wazoo just to get the basic functionality working that should work properly had the said hardware vendors properly implemented ACPI and UEFI in the first place.

Now I've got that off my chest I'm going to have a cup of tea :D

Since this is Windows RT/ARM, can it run normal games? (Steam games etc.)

If not, it's not really a "full Windows PC".

Would love one of them running Windows 8, but it seems that this is what Windows 8 is designed around and not the desktop. This shows what Metro is for. I still recon they should of built two separate versions.

I'm tempted to get one :p

My gf wants one after watching all the material, I do as well. We own an ipad, netbooks, and a htpc/desktop pc. The surface pro, if we got one, would probably be used more than, if not replace, all three. Bravo Microsoft.

Since this is Windows RT/ARM, can it run normal games? (Steam games etc.)

If not, it's not really a "full Windows PC".

The RT/ARM version isn't meant to be a full Windows PC. You can only run ARM compiled apps on it other than Metro apps (which are platform independent) of course.

The RT/ARM version isn't meant to be a full Windows PC. You can only run ARM compiled apps on it other than Metro apps (which are platform independent) of course.

So this tablet will only run a certain amount of applications. Shame.

Why do you people have such a hard time understanding that Apple isn't some religion for the vast majority of its users? Only a small minority, albeit a loud one, will stick with the company no matter what. Most will simply move on to something else if the competition releases something they like more. You say you hate iSheep, but honestly if you can't see this you're not any better yourself.

If Microsoft's Surface turns out to be a better experience for roughly the same money I'll dump my new iPad in a heartbeat. The hardware and touch pad definitely look appealing, Windows 8 could use a lot more polish.

Well said (Y)

So this tablet will only run a certain amount of applications. Shame.

Consider Windows 8 RT the equivalent of Apple iOS. It's only made for Metro apps and selected desktop apps (i.e. Office 2013). All it needs is a decent selection of Metro-style apps at launch, and this could be a success, full Windows experience or not.

If any Microsoft employees are reading this: Please, please, don't screw up the Surface launch. Price it competitively, subsidise it if you must, and make sure it's available world-wide from day one. I will gladly pay, say, ?700 for the Surface Pro.