[HomeGroup] Sharing - Network

Wazzup peoples.

I have hit a dead end.

HomeGroup has always been moody in my household any-ways, however today the homegroup stooped to a new low.

Firstly, we have suffered other computers not being able to print, then to get the printer to connect running diagnostic programs and checking

certain services have not been turned off.

Secondly the main pc in the house (mine) has all our music mp3's on my e: partition.

Till today there was not a problem with anyone accessing e: that are in the homegroup.

Today this message appeared.

I have removed sharing and restored sharing, does not work.

post-66351-0-49827600-1340188839.png

So anyone have a good idea how to fix this problem and how to fix homegroup permanently?

I have made sure clocks are equal, that services required work on all machines etc.

Thanks in advance.

"how to fix homegroup permanently?"

Not use it ;)

Why don't you just use normal sharing - you will have way less issues that is for damn sure. MS in their infinite wisdom decided that homegroups should use IPv6 -- why?? No good reason, because it transfers the files over ipv4.. Just uses ipv6 for some of its stuff.

Is ipv6 actually mainstream yet - NO! Does it cause all kinds of issues with things that are not ipv6 ready - YES ;)

What feature of homegroups do you think you need, and I will tell you how to do it the normal easy way.

Agreed with above. Homegroup acts like "Hey this is a nice friendly way to share files and so on", but it just gets in the way.

Use the same tried-and-tested protocols that have been around for years, not this ridiculous MS-only layer.

Hello thanks for a response.

I just want to use homegroup for other users to access my two external hard drives, 4 of my 8 partitions and the family printer.

That is all.

Thanks in advance for a reply

And you can do that quite easy with just normal sharing - it was a great idea trying to make it easier, but all they did was complicate the **** off of a tried and true method.

How many extra services have to be running.. If you going to use IPv6, fine then use IPv6 - don't use ipv6 for some of it, and then actually move the files over ipv4, etc. Asinine! Or let the user pick if it uses ipv4 or 6. Using both is just plain pointless

Really just turn it off and just share your dir and printer and you will have way less issues that is for damn sure!