Scorcher possible for Northeast's 1st summer day

PHILADELPHIA (AP) ? If you need a reminder that summer has officially started, just walk outside: Temperatures across the Northeast are expected to approach triple digits.

The National Weather Service has forecast potentially record-breaking hot temperatures just as the season officially begins Wednesday, the summer solstice and longest day of the year.

Readings are expected to be in the mid- to high-90s Wednesday and Thursday in cities including Philadelphia, New York and Boston. Humidity could make it feel even hotter.

Health officials warned residents to drink water, stay out of the sun and in air conditioning, and to check on elderly neighbors and pets. For those without air conditioning, "cooling centers" have been set up in public buildings in dozens of cities.

Philadelphians may see the mercury soar to 95 and 99 degrees mid-week after enjoying relatively mild June temperatures.

"You're talking about almost 15 degrees above normal," said Kristin Kline, a weather service meteorologist in Mount Holly, N.J.

The wilting heat also will hit Boston-area residents hard. Temperatures of up to 97 degrees are forecast for Wednesday, followed by 99 on Thursday, the weather service said. Current record highs for these dates are 98 and 95 degrees, respectively.

New York City's 1.1 million public school students are still in session for another week, and just 64 percent of classrooms are air-conditioned. Temperatures in the city are expected to hit 94 degrees on Wednesday and 98 degrees on Thursday, about 20 degrees hotter than it was in Central Park on Tuesday.

more

And here we go. I was ridiculed before about americans complaining about hot weather. 99'F is 37'C which is not that hot, Yeah sweating hot but not baking hot. I survived even hotter weather than that.

And here we go. I was ridiculed before about americans complaining about hot weather. 99'F is 37'C which is not that hot, Yeah sweating hot but not baking hot. I survived even hotter weather than that.

Factor in the humidity, dew point and it's the heat indexes you have to worry about, some are forecast to hit 45-50C. The Western desert states moan at the northeast when we have excessive heat warnings too, but they live in a dry desert climate and once again don't have to deal with humidity and high dew points, that's what does everyone in.

When the UK got to 28C last year (True!) I was dying!

Factor in the humidity, dew point and it's the heat indexes you have to worry about, some are forecast to hit 45-50C. The Western desert states moan at the northeast when we have excessive heat warnings too, but they live in a dry desert climate and once again don't have to deal with humidity and high dew points, that's what does everyone in.

Exactly. The humidity is what makes it aweful.

It's been in the mid 90s here all week with close to 100% humidity and it's been a killer.

When you walk outside, it hits you like a brick wall and it's hard to breathe.

The news has been telling people to not exercise outside until the sun goes down and to carry water wherever you go.

It's no joke. I'm sure there will be reports of a few people dying this week due to the heat.

Here in Toronto it's 32 (feels like 41), with a forecast this afternoon for 34 (will feel like 42), and this evening at 30 (will feel like 35). The worst part is, I have no air conditioning in my apartment.

Its scorching in the NE of the UK today too, but short lived me thinks, we're forecast a yellow rain warning from tomorrow :(

NObody wants to get caught out in yellow rain! :rofl:

• Like 2

yeah my poor window unit barely kept up had it set to 68 and it said 78 most of the time.....

it was 93 yesterday.... we have one more day in the 90s then it will cool down to around low 80s....

and holy crap im actually thinking 85 is a cooldown WTF???

why can't the heat go to like LA or something where everyone's got pools??? or the pac-NW where everyone's bawwing that they have no summer to go swimming....

I wish there was a weathertrade system where people can swap houses and "trade weather" that way.... that would be hard to pull off though..

I don't do well in heat cuz I got psoriasis and my skin burns like acid would burn it when I have extreme of cold and extreme of heat. I also get really bad migranes and i throw up when it's too hot...

Here in Toronto it's 32 (feels like 41), with a forecast this afternoon for 34 (will feel like 42), and this evening at 30 (will feel like 35). The worst part is, I have no air conditioning in my apartment.

I only have 2 window ac units but one isn't working well at all I max it out and it's only 3-8 deg cooler then outside. we have to keep the office door closed where the good windows ac is to keep the compies from overheating and us from being icky...

I got an 1800sq ft 4BR 2BA 2 story house as well.

It was warm here yesterday, I think around mid 80's, and right now at 7:30 it is showing 79 outside, fells like 81, and I have a 12 mile bike ride on my hand to get to work!