• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone Summit 20-June-2012

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

Oh dear at the start screen a mess of sizes and colours, this is what we have to look forward to with Windows 8 :/

winphone_3.png

Detection    2,256

Oh dear at the start screen a mess of sizes and colours, this is what we have to look forward to with Windows 8 :/

winphone_3.png

Well you can still make it look exactly like WP7.5 if you don't make the tiles quarter size

Alladaskill17    181

WTB 7.8 release date for my HTC Titan...

George P    5,433

winphone_3.png

Considering the sizes and the layout is what YOU want it to be it's not a mess at all. Just don't make it one.

Alladaskill17    181

winphone_3.png

I'm excited for this! Are you kidding me, this is a great feature.

• Like 1

George P    5,433

One thing WP 7.8 won't have compared to WP8 will be native code support. I guess that would limit some higher end games and such, but overall I think it should be fine, specially for people like me who've had a gen1 phone for almost 2 years now.

Alladaskill17    181

Will the new security features come to 7.8? I really only care for that, new start screen (yay confirmed), and NFC if possible.

Calum    819

<image snipped from quote>

I actually don't think that looks a mess, even though I'm still not as comfortable with Windows 8's Start Screen as I am with this new Windows Phone 8 one (for some reason; maybe it's because this one has more tiles that are similar colours). There are more colours on an iPhone or Android phone's screen, than the Windows Phone 8 Start Screen, due to the different colours in each icon. Also, I appreciate the different sizes of tiles that Windows Phone 8 will provide.

Out of curiosity, do you like the home screen in Android and/or iOS? If so, why do you prefer it to this? I can understand if you do; I'm just wondering why.

epk    56

Yeah, more details would be welcomed. I'd love the extra security on WP 7.8

Also, the whole native code thing is a bit worrying. I mean, sure it's necessary for high end games, but what if regular apps (or just regular games) start jumping to it too... would leave WP7 with a lot less (and outdated) apps.

Detection    2,256

I'm sure more details will arrive soon, it's not a big secret anymore

jakem1    1,610

In the past you've complained about the lack of customisability in WP. They give you bucketloads and now you're complaining that you've got too much. :rolleyes:

You need to stop being such a hater.

• Like 1

George P    5,433

They're talking about games now, full Havok suit coming to Windows Phone 8!

Detection    2,256

I like the sound of this WP7.8 feature, it will be almost like having a new phone / bigger screen

Removal of the ?gutter? aka ?the gap? known as the off-centered space to the right of the Start screen. The gutter was a carry-over from the Zune days but now Tiles will be evenly distributed on the Start screen

jakem1    1,610

Also, the whole native code thing is a bit worrying. I mean, sure it's necessary for high end games, but what if regular apps (or just regular games) start jumping to it too... would leave WP7 with a lot less (and outdated) apps.

Agreed. What incentive will they provide to encourage Android and iOS devs to port their apps via .NET rather than native code?

George P    5,433

Native Code also lets you use open source libs, think perhaps zlib, openssl, etc. Devs should like this ability I bet.

SQLite engine can now be used in both Windows 8/Windows Phone 8.

VoIP and Video Chat deep OS support. That means VoIP calls look and feel just like a regular cell call.

+Zlip792    482

Can current WP devices will be update-able to WP8?

Mathachew    149

VoIP? Sweet!

Detection    2,256

Can current WP devices will be update-able to WP8?

Read up ^^

Current WP7.5 devices are getting WP7.8

• Like 1

+Zlip792    482

Read up ^^

Current WP7.5 devices are getting WP7.8

I got confused actually, so not much love to be exact for old owners... thanks for clearing by the way..

Auroka    27

Paul Thurrott said on his blog:

"Windows Phone 7.8 will be delivered directly to all Windows Phone users, bypassing the carriers. You will be able to download and install Windows Phone 7.8 over Wi-Fi, at home or wherever else, and install this update."

I'm hoping my Trophy will get 7.8!

Vice    1,593

I'm surprised Windows Phones won't be getting Windows Phone 8. Also Apps built for Windows Phone 8 won't run on Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8.

This seems really poor to me and a slap in the face to anyone that bought a Windows Phone. Even a phone bought today won't be upgradable. I can't be the only one that sees the problem with this?

Detection    2,256

I got confused actually, so not much love to be exact for old owners... thanks for clearing by the way..

A good slice of WP8 features will be given in WP7.8 so still some love :)

Talking now about 7.5 updates on channel9 live feed

Mathachew    149

Well there's the confirmation we've all been waiting for. Guess I'll hold out for a WP8 device.

Auroka    27

I'm surprised Windows Phones won't be getting Windows Phone 8. Also Apps built for Windows Phone 8 won't run on Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8.

This seems kind of **** to me and a slap in the face to anyone that bought a Windows Phone. Even a phone bought today won't be upgradable. I can't be the only one that sees the problem with this?

This isn't that big a slap in the face to me because my Trophy is kind of outdated at this point...

But if I just bought a new Lumia 900 - IMO it's a huge slap in the face.

Detection    2,256

Updates starting from Next week

DLNA - PlayTo

Nokia Music Update

4 new camera features called "Camera Extras"

Self Timer, Actions Shot Burst images, Panorama Maker, Smart Group Shot captures multiple images and blends to create best image of everyone

Nokia Maps, Nokia Transport, Nokia Drive - Adding "My Commute"

123.png