• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone Summit 20-June-2012

Vice    1,593

This isn't that big a slap in the face to me because my Trophy is kind of outdated at this point...

But if I just bought a new Lumia 900 - IMO it's a huge slap in the face.

Gosh if I just bought a Lumia 900 I'd be livid. Even the iPhone 3GS is going to receive iOS 6. That phone is three years old. Of course not all the features in iOS 6 will be available to the 3GS but it will at-least be able to use all the latest applications on the App Store.

Detection    2,256

What are the chances of a fully working port of WP8 to WP7.5 devices ? Impossible due to the new core ?

Manish    44

Glad I held out and didn't buy a Lumia 800/900. Now to wait and see what Nokia produces with WP8...

George P    5,433

Background Location agent also in the bag. Lets navigation apps run in the background. For example, you can now get driving directions to a place for dinner while reading some email. (All while driving, too.)

Speech Platform up, you can now talk to your apps. Be nice to them.

Detection    2,256

Wonder when this carrier bypassing update to 7.8 will arrive

George P    5,433

What are the chances of a fully working port of WP8 to WP7.5 devices ? Impossible due to the new core ?

Yes, the new core brings with it a new driver model, something 7.5 devices don't share, current devices need to get custom drivers done for everything etc. While WP8 devices, from the way I understand it, use the NT core and driver model meaning regardless of the phone if it shares the same hardware the same driver will/should work on it like you have on PCs today.

This is great because it should bring with it faster future updates to the platform as well.

George P    5,433

Nokia, Huawei, Samsung and HTC are premier WP8 launch partners for hardware. 50 languages, 180 countries.

Windows Phone 8 updates will now be delivered over the air!!! This is HUGE!

CentralDogma    145

Speech Platform up, you can now talk to your apps. Be nice to them.

Does this require internet access, ala Siri?

George P    5,433

Does this require internet access, ala Siri?

No, it's not like Siri, think more like voice commands to apps like how kinect does it on the Xbox 360.

George P    5,433

Microsoft is hoping to do Siri one better by letting developers integrate speech response and recognition directly into apps for Windows Phone 8. APIs will be available for building in standard speech controls, which can then be run from the main search function. In a demo of Audible, which Microsoft partnered with for the voice features, the app was able to recognize a search for "Game of Thrones," then pause it or skip to the next chapter based on voice prompts. It worked pretty well, though there were a few rough spots: it took a couple of tries for the app to hear the commands. The apps can respond with vocal instructions as well, leading Microsoft to refer to the whole interaction as a "conversation" with them. Audible will be available to download for Windows Phone 7.5 later today, but we haven't heard whether these voice features will work on it.

George P    5,433

They didn't talk about this much as well but Windows Phone 8 WILL support in app purchasing. DLC for games incoming! Heh.

micro    106

Where is the applist?!?!?!?!? I dont want 100 icons on my start screen..

Auroka    27

Did they say if 7.8 is going to be able to run VoIP apps in the background?

George P    5,433

Where is the applist?!?!?!?!? I dont want 100 icons on my start screen..

The app list should be were it always is, to the right of the start screen. What they did was take away the right spacing and the arrow, but if you scroll to the right it should be right there.

I remember people said that right bit was a "waste of space" well, now it's gone. I wonder what new complaint this will bring though.

George P    5,433

Did they say if 7.8 is going to be able to run VoIP apps in the background?

I don't think they did, 7.8 seems more of a UI update and less of a API update. We'll have to wait for more details though. VoIP will be integrated in WP8, so all you do is access the custom VoIP API they have.

Detection    2,256

Yes, the new core brings with it a new driver model, something 7.5 devices don't share, current devices need to get custom drivers done for everything etc. While WP8 devices, from the way I understand it, use the NT core and driver model meaning regardless of the phone if it shares the same hardware the same driver will/should work on it like you have on PCs today.

This is great because it should bring with it faster future updates to the platform as well.

Even though I have the 710 I agree, the new core and what it means for all future WP8 devices is a great decision.

Was anything mentioned about when this WP7.8 update is due ? I didn't hear any time scale mentioned in the summit

CentralDogma    145

Well, the NT kernel was ported to ARM and Microsoft has already created drivers for some of the common phone hardware, so it wouldn't be that tough. But then they'd have to code up the odd driver here and there and have to worry about performance issues on older hardware. And this is really the job of the OEMs, but lord knows they're not going to do it. In the end Microsoft didn't think it was worth it.

George P    5,433

Even though I have the 710 I agree, the new core and what it means for all future WP8 devices is a great decision.

Was anything mentioned about when this WP7.8 update is due ? I didn't hear any time scale mentioned in the summit

No, no dates other than WP8 is coming in the "fall", which I take to mean November again. Now the question is does 7.8 come out before 8.0? I'm going to guess and say yes, maybe a month ahead of it. Either way, 7.8 is going directly to users and bypassing the carriers, finally, so we should all get it quick once MS hits the send button.

Another note, since they say that WP8 will get OTA updates finally it's obvious that they're now more or less making the phone less PC needy. You don't need the zune software or any WP app to do updates now though I still expect some sort of new WP8 app or maybe some type of direct Win8 integration that will let us do manual backups and future phone to phone transfers.

• Like 1

Alladaskill17    181

My only question, that I've been googling and googling: When does 7.8 come out?

Info not released yet I guess? Because all searches just moan and groan that 7.8 isn't 8, we get that, now give us release dates for 7.8. WP8 = fall, but the software is obviously going to be available before WP8 devices...

Detection    2,256

My only question, that I've been googling and googling: When does 7.8 come out?

Info not released yet I guess? Because all searches just moan and groan that 7.8 isn't 8, we get that, now give us release dates for 7.8. WP8 = fall, but the software is obviously going to be available before WP8 devices...

Read the post and reply above yours

George P    5,433

Nokia has confirmed on their blog that they will be making Nokia Drive available for all Windows Phone partners. The service will offer turn by turn GPS navigation in over 110 countries while developers will be able to use Nokia?s maps to build location-based apps and experiences .

BajiRav    2,137

I got confused actually, so not much love to be exact for old owners... thanks for clearing by the way..

I'm surprised Windows Phones won't be getting Windows Phone 8. Also Apps built for Windows Phone 8 won't run on Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8.

This seems really poor to me and a slap in the face to anyone that bought a Windows Phone. Even a phone bought today won't be upgradable. I can't be the only one that sees the problem with this?

I think Microsoft should have just called it WP8 (instead of 7.8) for current+older devices to keep people happy. :p

Most software features are apparently being ported, and apps targetting newer APIs won't run on older devices. This is no different than iOS/Android in a way. :/

Something I read on twitter (@edbott)

So, if you have an iPhone 3GS or 4 and you upgrade to iOS6, you get the new UI but no Siri, no dual core, no 1080p video #justlikewp8

George P    5,433

I think Microsoft should have just called it WP8 (instead of 7.8) for current+older devices to keep people happy. :p

Most software features are apparently being ported, and apps targetting newer APIs won't run on older devices. This is no different than iOS/Android in a way. :/

I think they were being funny or whatever you wanna call it by making it 7.8. It's basically a update between v7 and v8 so 7.8. I think that was the thinking behind it. It's not like they'll market this update like they did Mango though, they'll be pushing the new WP8 devices.

epk    56

We'll see how much is really being ported (soon, I hope). However, while some feats aren't supported on the iPhone 3Gs and 4 they still get quite a bit. Like Safari, for example. You guys think we'll get IE10?

George P    5,433

We'll see how much is really being ported (soon, I hope). However, while some feats aren't supported on the iPhone 3Gs and 4 they still get quite a bit. Like Safari, for example. You guys think we'll get IE10?

IE10 is just an app and not really part of the OS so the chances are better that we get that. I think they're not going to tell us everything today, it's just the tip of the iceberg. They're going to have another event later this summer when we actually get the WP8 SDK and that should also be when we get all the info between 7.8. I don't think it's just the new start screen UI, but so far that's all we know of for sure.