• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone Summit 20-June-2012

.Neo    1,834
Although some Nokia and Microsoft officials confirmed most Windows Phone 7.5 Mango smartphones are upgradable to WP8, the latest hearsay claims these devices will only get a slightly lower version of Apollo, which is dubbed Windows Phone 7.8.

Doesn't really seem like the author knows what he's talking about.

+Zlip792    483

Doesn't really seem like the author knows what he's talking about.

Just shared what I thought of worth adding..

.Neo    1,834

Just shared what I thought of worth adding..

I'm just saying that the author of the Softpedia article doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

George P    5,435

The newest bit of info coming out is that the WP7.8 upgrade will come after WP8. That could be to keep carriers and OEMs happy so they can sell new devices but it could also mean that they need a bit more time to backport some code. Either of the two makes sense at this point but I'm leaning towards the first as being the reason. Besides we don't know how long between WP8 release and 7.8 release, could be a month though?

Cereal Bawks    15

Not sure what they want to backport. Some useless userland apps maybe, but any core tech in WP8 is either Win32 or WinRT, both which aren't backwards compatible.

George P    5,435

Not sure what they want to backport. Some useless userland apps maybe, but any core tech in WP8 is either Win32 or WinRT, both which aren't backwards compatible.

Which is why I don't think that's the case and that my first option is probably the reason. They already flat out said that the 7.8 update will bypass carriers and go out directly to all WP7 owners, which means that it coming out a bit after WP8 devices ship was probably part of the deal so carriers could not try and block it or w/e. Of course not getting the full WP8 update helps keep carriers happy as well, OEMs too of course.

BajiRav    2,137

Which is why I don't think that's the case and that my first option is probably the reason. They already flat out said that the 7.8 update will bypass carriers and go out directly to all WP7 owners, which means that it coming out a bit after WP8 devices ship was probably part of the deal so carriers could not try and block it or w/e. Of course not getting the full WP8 update helps keep carriers happy as well, OEMs too of course.

/OT but I think there was an article somewhere that quoted one carrier source saying that they like people using their old hardware as long as they pay monthly bills. Selling new hardware costs them money (subsidies etc.) so it's only handset makers who have a vested interest in selling new phones. It kind of makes sense but could be smoke and mirrors too. :)

George P    5,435

/OT but I think there was an article somewhere that quoted one carrier source saying that they like people using their old hardware as long as they pay monthly bills. Selling new hardware costs them money (subsidies etc.) so it's only handset makers who have a vested interest in selling new phones. It kind of makes sense but could be smoke and mirrors too. :)

That may be the case at least until your contract period is up and they've maid a good chunk of profit from those 2 years. They still need to keep you on their network and having newer hardware is the way.

rfirth    740

That may be the case at least until your contract period is up and they've maid a good chunk of profit from those 2 years. They still need to keep you on their network and having newer hardware is the way.

Right. They would prefer you didn't upgrade and just used your old phone. That would save the carriers a lot of money. However, they use the subsidies for hardware upgrades to convince people to sign contracts.

George P    5,435

It's just an initial upfront loss which they make back easy later. It's the same basic model that video games consoles also go with etc. Of course they don't do these with all of their devices. Those cheap phones they sell to you on pre-paid plans and so on are making them money from the start I say. I bet for every one phone they take an initial hit on they've got 5 or more they're making a profit on from the start.