Monsters University (2013)

monstersinc1.jpg

Pixar's 2001 film Monsters Inc - about monsters who scare kids for a living - is to have a sequel, the Disney studio has announced.

The animated follow-up will be released on 16 November 2012, Disney chairman Rich Ross revealed.

Another Pixar film, The Bear and the Bow, is to renamed Brave and have its release put back from December 2011 to 15 June 2012.

Disney is also to make a new Muppets movie, Ross confirmed on Thursday.

The film, to be directed by Flight of the Conchords creator James Bobin, will introduce a new puppet character called Walter.

Featuring the voices of Billy Crystal and John Goodman, Monsters Inc made more than $525m (?342m) worldwide.

It is not known if its director Pete Doctor - who went on to make the Oscar-winning Up - will direct its sequel.

Featuring the voices of Reese Witherspoon and Billy Connolly, Brave tells of a Scottish princess who dreams of being an archer.

Set in 18th Century Scotland, Brenda Chapman's movie is the first Pixar feature to be directed by a woman.

Other future projects from Disney-Pixar include a retelling of the Winnie the Pooh story using hand-drawn animation and Frankenweenie, a stop-motion cartoon based on a story by Tim Burton.

Pixar release Toy Story 3 this summer, with a Cars sequel due in cinemas next year.

(BBC)

I would love for them to do a sequel to Monsters vs. Aliens :( (supposedly it didn't do well enough overseas to warrant a sequel though BLEH)

• 1 month later...

All hollywood is now a days. Remakes and sequels.

True... gosh, now I'm scared they'll make Finding Nemo 2 as well ;D

Pixar: we don't really do sequels

Disney: We definately do sequels and we know own your ass

:p

Saying that though. I'd love monsters inc. 2

I love the first but it's been a long time in between. They might have lost some of that magic that made the first so good. Not only that but in order to get a continuous story out of it they pretty much need to cater to adults and kids that was the original. Of course parents could just make their young kids watch the original I guess...

• 9 months later...
I don?t think this is going to come as a massive surprise to anyone who has been following the development of Pixar?s Monsters, Inc. sequel. The title of the film was revealed today at CinemaCon. Monsters University will be the sequel to Pixar?s fourth movie, likely with Billy Crystal and John Goodman reprising their roles, as monsters Sully and Mike Wazowski. The film will hit screens in 2012.

The film is reportedly a prequel following Mike and Sulley during their tenure at the University of Fear, where they start off as enemies and then become friends.

http://www.slashfilm.com/monsters-inc-sequel-called-monsters-university/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29&utm_content=FaceBook

I would love for them to do a sequel to Monsters vs. Aliens :( (supposedly it didn't do well enough overseas to warrant a sequel though BLEH)

I'd love a second one of those too, but it wasn't even done by Pixar..

Walt Disney Pictures announced today that they have pushed back the release date for Monsters University from November 2nd 2012 to June 21st 2013. Also, to fill the vacant spot, Disney is moving up Reboot Ralph from the film?s original March 22nd, 2013 date.

:(