The 2003 "World Series" Thread

why is it called the world series when errrmmmm its not? i mean its held in the states with all american teams. Plz dont flame this cos i really dont know much about baseball so i might be missing some vital info

thats just what its always been called. there are 2 teams in canada, so its not just the US. :happy:

What are you talking about?....Dont take your anger out on the yanks and marlins....Take your anger out on the choking cubs for not taking advantage of a 3-1 series lead, and blowing it with there 2 best pitchers.

well, we went from like 75% of all baseball fans caring, to about 5%.

why is it called the world series when errrmmmm its not? i mean its held in the states with all american teams. Plz dont flame this cos i really dont know much about baseball so i might be missing some vital info

Its called the world series because the original world series was sponsored by a newspaper? organisation called world something, and hence World series and the name stucked ever since.

Go Yanks :devil: :devil:

THANK GOD ITS FOOTBALL SEASON!

i said it last year and i will say it again this year. baseball has done nothing but disappoint me in the last few years. :sleep:

worst series ever in the history of baseball.  the 2 least deserving teams imo.

yea, i agree. The marlins are the most undeserving team in baseball. They only have the best record in all of baseball since May. Beat the Giants in 4. Came back from 3-1 down to the cubs against Prior and Wood in chicago, and they're payroll is one of the smallest in all of baseball. But you know what, they def. suck and are completely undeserving.

umm...GIVE ME A BREAK. Can anyone say sour grapes? Simply because the marlins beat the cubs doesn't make them undeserving for crying out loud. Do I need to remind you that the Marlins had a better regular season record than the Cubs as well?

Edited by facted

well, we went from like 75% of all baseball fans caring, to about 5%.

Just becaues 5% of your friends are interested in the world series, that doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't ;). It may not be as traditionaly exciting as a Red Sox vs. Chicago matchup, but that doesn't mean it's an awful world series. You haven't even seen them play a game yet and you're aleady complaining...

a 13 year old team doesn't deserve to go to the world series twice in 10 years. compare the cubs who sell out ever game, every year, and the marlins, who barely sell a third of their tickets. yeah, ok, maybe they are a better team (maybe), but overall, the city of miami, the team, and the fans don't deserve this.

a 13 year old team doesn't deserve to go to the world series twice in 10 years. compare the cubs who sell out ever game, every year, and the marlins, who barely sell a third of their tickets. yeah, ok, maybe they are a better team (maybe), but overall, the city of miami, the team, and the fans don't deserve this.

That's your opinion. I'm sorry that the Marlins have more heart than most of the majors put together. Unlike some other teams around the block (not talking about the Cubs), they didn't buy their team this year. They earned it through hard work, determination, and just plain out gut-wrenching baseball. That's enough reason in my opinion for their "Justification" to make it. Tradition doesn't determine who is in the world series. In your mind, it should, but then why did we even play the season? Why don't we just skip next year and put the red sox and cubs in the world series and let them go at it? Better yet, why are teams like the Marlins even playoff elgible? There should be a set of rules to limit the playoffs to teams that have either been around for 50+ years or who haven't won a WS recently. That pretty much sounds like what you want in my opinion.

Baseball and every other sport is about equal opportunity. When spring training rolls around, every team has an equal chance to win the title. An expansion team and a 100 year old team both have the right to earn it. If you don't like that, then eliminate younger teams and just make a little league with teams that are "justified" in winning in your view.

As for the city of Miami doesn't deserve this: who are you to say that? You have no idea what happened in Miami in 1997 when the Marlins were dismantled. The heart and soul of baseball was ripped from Miami. That year they were drawing 30-35000 people a game, and this is in a horrible football stadium. If they were given their own park in a better part of town and a presentable product was put on the field, they'd be drawing 30,000 again. In the second half of this season, they were consistently drawing 25,000 which might not be tops in baseball, but you'd know it is certainly something if you've ever seen a baseball game in Pro Player Stadium.

I have never understood how you can say that the Yankees suck! ! ! They have won 26 World Series, more than anyone else in the world... which you should have already known. They are the best and nothing more or less! You may not like them, but they are far from sucking!

GO YANKEES!!!

eQiH6n7o.jpg

I have never understood how you can say that the Yankees suck! ! ! They have won 26 World Series, more than anyone else in the world... which you should have already known. They are the best and nothing more or less! You may not like them, but they are far from sucking!

by saying the yankees suck, people arent saying they arent a good team. they are expressing a very strong dislike. ill admit the yankees have an incredible history and dont appear to be stopping, but i hate them and when i say the yankees suck, thats what im talking about.

Sure the Yankees are the most successful franchise in sports history, and blah blah...I respect them for that. Although, I would have to say the reason you have the most fans is because a good portion of them are fair weather. They see the Yanks win, hop on the wagon...they see the Yanks win a World Series, hop on the wagon. They see the Yanks spend more than enough money on the best players in the league, hop on the wagon. Thanks George.

GO YANKEES!!!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2003...17/eQiH6n7o.jpg

Want me to tell you why the Yankees suck? Fine, I'll tell you why they suck.

They suck because George Steinbrenner is the spawn of Satan, a horrible individual that seeks to subvert baseball at every turn and transform it even more into a business than it already is. To use a great line, he represents everything that is soulless and wrong in the world. He sucks because he threatened to fire Torre after they Yankees lost three in a row (and while I hate the Yankees, I have enormous respect for Torre).

They suck because their payroll is equal to many other ball club's put together. They are like vultures, they don't even bother with scouting anymore. All they do is wait till teams offer interest in a player which could be hugely beneficial to their team, then the Yankees offer them triple what the other team could pay, and of course, the player signs with the Yankees

They suck because the majority of their fan base are damn bandwagon fans who don't follow the team AT ALL during the regular season and decide to start cheering for them in the playoffs just because it's the hip thing to do. Most can't even name more than two players, and far be it if they know their starting rotation or starting lineup. These fans don't share in the pain of the regular season, and just start with the cheering when the playoffs roll around.

They suck because Jeter swallows. He is the cockiest, brashest, and simply the biggest ass to ever put on a baseball uniform. They suck because Roger Clemens left his home of Boston in an under the table, shady deal and turned into the biggest prick this side of Steinbrenner. They suck because, quite simply, they are the Yankees.

Take your 26 rings and shove them ** **** ***

comment edited

Edited by Blaise

GO YANKEES!!!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2003...17/eQiH6n7o.jpg

Want me to tell you why the Yankees suck? Fine, I'll tell you why they suck.

Seems like a bunch of reasons why Steinbrenner sucks to me. i dont really see what this has to do with the yankees. Maybe you should take all this hostility and put it into something a little more productive..sewing perhaps.

Yankees cant help they have the spawn of satan for an owner. Damn, calm down.

So the yankees suck because they came came back in the end of the 8th, when the Red Sox was suppose to win? That made no sense...

Why exactly do the Yankees suck? You are acting like it is unfair teams lost because they should have won not because they had better poeple but the other team didn't deserve it.

So the yankees suck because they came came back in the end of the 8th, when the Red Sox was suppose to win? That made no sense...

Why exactly do the Yankees suck? You are acting like it is unfair teams lost because they should have won not because they had better poeple but the other team didn't deserve it.

The Yankees didn't come back in Game 7. Grady Little virtually handed them the game when he left Pedro in to face Posada after he gave up three straight hits. I don't care if he was Cy Young himself, you DO NOT leave your pitcher in when the game is on the line when he just gave up three hits.

And last time I checked, Steinbrenner owns the Yankees, so it's not illogical to give reasons that they suck because of him.

And the reason they got those runs back was that Grady Little failed to pull Pedro. Granted, they still could have scored if he had, but our bullpen had a .9 ERA during the playoffs, so I doubt it.

And last time I checked, Steinbrenner owns the Yankees, so it's not illogical to give reasons that they suck because of him.

Illogical no, stupid yes. As i said they have no choice who their owner is. If you have beef with owner do not take it out on the members of the team. This is just dumb.