The 2003 "World Series" Thread

George Steinbrenner is probably the greatest owner ever. He is willing to spend more of his money because he loves to win and he demands that from his employees. Its the soft owners who have franchises that can't win.

And the reason they got those runs back was that Grady Little failed to pull Pedro. Granted, they still could have scored if he had, but our bullpen had a .9 ERA during the playoffs, so I doubt it.

Ummm sorry but Pedro could have won even if left in....Are you saying that any pitcher left in winning after the 7th inning will automatically lose? I call that coming back sorry.... :rolleyes:

I havent been through this thread yet because the Cubs didnt make it, but who is everyone rooting for? Ive got Florida. Even though Im a Cubs fan, I like the Marlins. Ive never hated them, even though they beat us. They were better this year. All I can say. So go Marlins! As for the Yankees, I strangely dont hate them either, but they win all the time so I want Florida.

Should be a good matchup. :)

George Steinbrenner is probably the greatest owner ever. He is willing to spend more of his money because he loves to win and he demands that from his employees. Its the soft owners who have franchises that can't win.

So its basically every other team in baseball's fault that they can't compete simply because they don't "spend their own money?" Um, no. It's that they simply don't HAVE that damn money.

At a certain point, you need to stop blaming the money, and start blaming your team.

Remember, Boston spends the 3rd most amount of money.

Remember?

Yeah. That's what I thought. :ninja:

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I'm also aware that the difference between the Yankees, the 2 team (which I'm not sure of, but I think is the Braves), and Boston's payroll is enourmous. We're not number 3 by a small margin.

BTW, I don't blame the Red Sox, I blame Grady Little.

I have never understood how you can say that the Yankees suck! ! ! They have won 26 World Series, more than anyone else in the world... which you should have already known. They are the best and nothing more or less! You may not like them, but they are far from sucking!

GO YANKEES!!!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2003...17/eQiH6n7o.jpg

yankees all the way.

hardcore ny fan right here, been that for my whole life

I have never understood how you can say that the Yankees suck! ! ! They have won 26 World Series, more than anyone else in the world... which you should have already known. They are the best and nothing more or less! You may not like them, but they are far from sucking!

GO YANKEES!!!

Want me to tell you why the Yankees suck? Fine, I'll tell you why they suck.

They suck because George Steinbrenner is the spawn of Satan, a horrible individual that seeks to subvert baseball at every turn and transform it even more into a business than it already is. To use a great line, he represents everything that is soulless and wrong in the world. He sucks because he threatened to fire Torre after they Yankees lost three in a row (and while I hate the Yankees, I have enormous respect for Torre).

They suck because their payroll is equal to many other ball club's put together. They are like vultures, they don't even bother with scouting anymore. All they do is wait till teams offer interest in a player which could be hugely beneficial to their team, then the Yankees offer them triple what the other team could pay, and of course, the player signs with the Yankees

They suck because the majority of their fan base are damn bandwagon fans who don't follow the team AT ALL during the regular season and decide to start cheering for them in the playoffs just because it's the hip thing to do. Most can't even name more than two players, and far be it if they know their starting rotation or starting lineup. These fans don't share in the pain of the regular season, and just start with the cheering when the playoffs roll around.

They suck because Jeter swallows. He is the cockiest, brashest, and simply the biggest ass to ever put on a baseball uniform. They suck because Roger Clemens left his home of Boston in an under the table, shady deal and turned into the biggest prick this side of Steinbrenner. They suck because, quite simply, they are the Yankees.

Take your 26 rings and shove them up your ass.

applause.. so well said (Y) (Y)

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I'm also aware that the difference between the Yankees, the 2 team (which I'm not sure of, but I think is the Braves), and Boston's payroll is enourmous. We're not number 3 by a small margin.
here are the payrolls for 2003.
Team                        Payroll        Tax 

New York Yankees  $180,322,403  10,764,809

New York Mets        116,253,927  0

Los Angeles            109,248,680  0

Texas                    106,277,880        0

Boston                    104,873,607        0

Atlanta                    103,912,011        0

St. Louis                  101,825,848        0

San Francisco          100,061,211    0

Philadelphia            95,338,704        0

Arizona                  92,665,040        0

Seattle                    92,268,063          0

Chicago Cubs          86,576,763    0

Anaheim                  83,235,098      0

Houston                  79,946,964        0

Colorado                78,738,492        0

Baltimore                75,502,154        0

Chicago White Sox  71,336,029  0

Minnesota                65,318,977      0

Cincinnati                65,083,196        0

Florida                    63,281,152        0

Pittsburgh                62,314,723        0

Toronto                  61,175,638        0

Detroit                    59,006,941        0

Cleveland                58,108,824        0

San Diego              57,871,722      0

Oakland                  56,596,691        0

Kansas City            48,475,322      0

Milwaukee              47,294,226      0

Montreal                45,853,889        0

Tampa Bay            31,660,602    0

Total                    2,400,424,777    0

as you can see.. theres a $76 million difference between the yankees and boston... there are occasions where the teams at the bottom can have a few good years, but they always fall back down.. the yankees just buy whoever they want. if they see a free agent name they want, they buy him. theres another big japanese player coming to america next year.. guess who the front runner is? thats right.. the yankees. most players dont care about this, although more and more are now saying they dont want to play for new york, most players just want to win, and steinbrenner comes as close to buying championships as is possible in professional sports.

GO YANKEES!!!

yankees all the way.

Same here :)

All the Yankee hating in this thread is a product of pure JEALOUSY.

GO YANKEES!!!

yankees all the way.

Same here :)

All the Yankee hating in this thread is a product of pure JEALOUSY.

Yeah it's either they have to much money or they win all the time. Lets say the Yankee payroll was less. So if the Red Sox had a very high pay roll, and won 26 world championships would all the blame go to them? Red Sox fans? I think not. . .

Go Marlins :). I personally do not like the yankees for the reasons stated above (I think it's completely unfair that they spend so much more than everyone else). A little off topic, but there should be a salary cap in baseball I think as there is in football. That's why football is as competitive and any team can beat any other on any given Sunday. Anyway, in my opinion, the Yanks are more about money and high profile players no melding into a team and the marlins are just about the opposite. They're a team. As for the Boston people on here...please. You can't say the Yankees suck because they spend so much more than you guys do. Just because you compete with them for some players and they often win out doesn't make them the devil incarnate. Put yourself in the marlins shoes ;) We can't compete with ANYONE for players basically. The only reason we got Pudge was becuase everyoen though he was washed up and no one wanted him. ALL our players on this season's squad with the exception of Urbina, Pudge, and Conine are home grown talent that have come up through our farm system. We had holes like everyone else at midseason and we didn't have the luxury of spending 40 million to pick up some super player just because we thought he might help. Our bullpen guys are not 4 yr/32 million dollar players (Contreas) or star players like Jed Weaver (who now sucks). If someone can tell me that it's actually fair that a team can spend however much money it wants to sign any player while other teams cannot, and still maintain a fair league, then post your arguments. I'd like to hear them.

That's just my 2 cents.

I'm gonna take the Marlins in 6, even if their payroll is 1/3 that of the Yankees.

I've been a StL Cardinals fan since the mid 60's. I root for TWO teams, the cardinals, and whoever

else is playing AGAINST the yankees.

If the TV people really wanted to rake in the ad revenues, had it been the Red socks & Cubs,

they ratings would have been through the roof! Just look at the playoffs. TV ratings were

at an all time high. Now, with the exception of the seispool (NYC), watch the ratings drop off

to the point that reruns of the simpsons will probably beat them.

I laugh everytime the Yankees lose the series. Because if you spend 80+ million dollars on a

baseball team, and it DOSEN'T win, that shows you to be the sucker that you are.

Overpaid bunch of crybabies.

Football isn't much better. Too many stupid rules to make the game politically correct. Just

watch any ESPN rerun highlight show that shows and talks to the players of the 50's, 60's &

70's and they would tell you that todays players wouldn't last 3 months in the NFL, if the rules

were the same as when they played. Football is suppost to be a sort of combat. I remember

my high school football coach wouldn't be happy until we drew blood from the other team, or

knocked someone out of the game.

Oh I can hear the crybabies now.......oh how horrible, trying to hurt someone and bla bla bla.

Waaaaaaaaaa......then don't watch it.

Opps......soapbox mode off.

:alien:

What a game it was!!

I watched it over here in the UK till 4:30am. I am so pleased with the start of this season. I think it show's how good it's going to be!

-Grant

not much of a baseball follower...but the rise of the Marlins through the playoffs has been amazing to watch....All Sports presenters and critics had picked Marlins to be eliminated in the first round of playoffs and some said they shouldn't have even been in the playoffs after switching Coaches in mid season. LOL

Amazing...Should be a good game 3 tonight. Josh Beckett, Dontrelle Williams, and Mike Lowell....keep on eye on those Marlins guys... :D

I wan't the Marlins to win this and make those sports critcs eat their words. :angry: for doubting them.

keep an eye on Marlins Rising Star Pitcher Josh Beckett.....he's not afraid of the big guys on the yankees. LOL laughed my ass off when he sent Cubs Sammy Sosa packing after striking him out..

As they say.... Buu-Yah!! :woot:

yeah i was hoping when this series started i might get more into it.. but :sleep: .. not happening.. these teams just arent exciting.. im pulling for florida, but i just find it sad that i cant sit through an entire world series, as much as i love baseball and as many games as i watch all year long