MARS ONE - The first human settlement plan for Mars (2023)

Scientists and astrologers? Surely you mean astronomers.

Without a way of getting back to earth....uh...count me out. While I would like to go to Mars and wouldn't mind spending 2 years of my life (between travel and being on the planet)...I wouldn't want to go knowing I will die there. Not being able to ever see (physically) family and friends....again. No thanks.

Anyway, highly doubt this is going to happen. There is no money to be made to recover the costs.

I don't see the point either. Spend the money on fixing the Earth instead of trying to put humans on a planet we can't live on without resources transported from Earth. If they want to do something they should get working on some sort of bacteria or organism that's able to build up an Earth-like atmosphere on Mars, then find water, then try to recreate something earth-like.

hate to break it to you, folks. at the rate the u.s. is going, by 2023, the red planet will be long and truly red. as in communist china red.

but do keep on dreaming and fine-tune those wonderful artistic concepts. lmao.

whack some lastest gen Ion drive propulsion in there and could get there faster than conventional fuel maybe?? just gotta slam the brakes on in time otherwise could end up being pancake shaped mess on mars floor

Yes but you're not allowed to have kids... that's ok though, doesn't say you can't have sex with them :p

Seems kind of unsustainable then, however it might be a good idea for the first 20 years or so. ;-)

Sign me up and move faster ... I would leave this place in a heart beat ... also, as long as I have a constant streaming of pr0n I am good ... and some games ... that is all I want ...

I can do with little food and water ... so NASA if you read this, call me ... or trace the IP or whatever .... I will give you my pet rabbit

It's gonna be a slight problem if you wanna go out for a walk in the morning to get some of the fresh err... air :p

betweem jizzing my pants and crying i need an IV now. this is a wonderful plan and it will happen. i love the naysayers. i would love even more to buy each of you a beer as we start watching mission after mission landing on Mars between 2018 and 2025, and i'm buying dinner when we celebrate the arrival of the 5000th human by 2030. you negative people sound like the ones that told Zheng He and Columbus that going around the world for some coconuts is a waste of time, and you make about as much sense.

This is a great plan, and luckily just one of several. We will have SEVERAL manned missions to Mars by 2025 FOR SURE, possibly even one or two this decade if things turn out well. Fixing problems on Earth? We've had two million years of single planet existence to do that and we still have work to do. making ourselves a true interplanetary and then interstellar civilization WILL resolve these problems, though i have to admit it will cause new ones.

And Hum, sorry for the late reply...you know what i think of radiation in space. it's like what they said about steam boilers back in the 18th century. But hey, i never said i want to be the first to go to Mars! i'm very comfortable sending others as pioneers. i'll show up when the Four Points by Sheraton and a couple Starbucks open up.

Solar particle radiation can be managed by launching crews during the solar minimum. That leaves mostly galactic and gamma ray burst radiation. Galactic can't be eliminated (oh my God particles) but could be minimized with an artificial magnetosphere. These have been worked on in both the UK and US - with some using a plasma injected into the field to augment the effect. Photons from GRB's etc. need hard shielding, which is getting lighter with polymer based composite shields - which are now appearing in medical use.?A plus is that these are also useful against neutrons.

why dont we have a settlement on the Moon FIRST before moving on to Mars... really... what if something goes wrong and it takes kazillions miles to get back to earth. Moon is the best place to test the space settlement first.

speaking of space settlement, why are there no ocean settlement on earth? weird.

why dont we have a settlement on the Moon FIRST before moving on to Mars... really... what if something goes wrong and it takes kazillions miles to get back to earth. Moon is the best place to test the space settlement first.

speaking of space settlement, why are there no ocean settlement on earth? weird.

It makes no sense to me either. It would be much easier to establish a base on the Moon. I guess it's not as exciting as going to Mars.

The difference in delta-v needed between a Mars and Moon trip is small, and there are more useful indigenous resources on Mars including water ices that can be dissociated into O2 and H2. The O2 can be used for breathing and as a rocket oxidizer, and the H2 processed with the Martian atmosphere to produce fuel in the form of methane. The concept is ISRU - in situ resource utilization, and it much harder on the Moon.

I don't see the point either. Spend the money on fixing the Earth instead of trying to put humans on a planet we can't live on without resources transported from Earth. If they want to do something they should get working on some sort of bacteria or organism that's able to build up an Earth-like atmosphere on Mars, then find water, then try to recreate something earth-like.

Been there..tried that..ever watch Red planet, mission to mars, or star trek the wrath of khan?