Assistant cheerleading coach arrested for sex with student

An assistant cheerleading coach at an Indianapolis high school was arrested last week after police say she performed sexual acts on a 17-year-old male student, Fox59.com reported.

Megan Crafton, 22, who reportedly lists herself as engaged on her Facebook page, allegedly performed sex acts on the student inside her vehicle at a supermarket parking lot, the report said.

"We wouldn't be having this conversation if it was her and some other gentleman who doesn't go to the school, or isn't part of the school system, but unfortunately in this case, it was and it made it illegal," Michael Turner, a lieutenant at the Shelbyville Police Department, told the station.

Authorities point out that Crafton was in a position of authority as a school employee, the report said.

"When she signed on as an assistant cheerleading coach, she took a responsibility that she wouldn't have relations at that school," Turner said.

The alleged relationship occurred in January. Shelbyville High School officials alerted authorities about rumors circulating about the relationship, police said. Police were able to gather enough evidence to obtain a warrant and Crafton was arrested for child seduction, a D felony, the report said.

more & video

Aside from her position of (very mild) authority, I don't see that big of a problem, it's only a 5-year difference. Not like she's 40.

I'd also bang the Fox59 reporter as well.

22 vs 17 is not that much difference (16+ is usually the age of consent anyway, I am aware of the 18+ provision for 'authoritative positions') and given that she probably signed on as a part time assistant coaching role not a teaching role, and she only had contact with Cheerleaders (and I don't think that the student was a cheerleader), they would not have had any contact (especially not authoritative contact) at the school.

I don't see any problem with this, even if genders were reversed in this situation. The relationship could just as easily occurred even if she wasn't an assistant coach at the school, just so happens they had something in common, but no impact on their relationship.

Also:

"When she signed on as an assistant cheerleading coach, she took a responsibility that she wouldn't have relations at that school," Turner said.

All that means is she broke the agreement with the school, it doesn't mean she broke the law. I hope her lawyer is good enough to pick this a part and show that she is NOT in an authoritative position as far as the law is concerned. That's what I really hate about schools, they think that they make the law or are the law because they are used to disciplining students so much, but in reality school rules are not the law, and when a student does something illegal they usually give them their own disciplinary instead of referring the matter to Police which may well be illegal in some cases. Same with Churches.

Shelbyville :laugh: figures.

• Like 2

Age difference doens't make a difference. I'd hit it. (Y)

And if it had been me, no one would've known. Wouldn't have told anyone.

Promise

Normally I hate the reaction when its the female who is older because if reversed people who say how disgusting it is.

In this case, who the **** cares. It was 17 and 22. No one did anything against their will. People at 17 have urges. Who cares.

...a lieutenant at the Shelbyville Police Department...

I hope the student wasn't Bart SImpson?

Although he'd be far too old in reality.

If the age of consent is 16, I'm not really sure what the problem is. This person wasn't a teacher, so it's not a conflict of interest or statutory rape. People get so bent out of shape over the dumbest things.