3DS XL and Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS announced

So I'm happy I didn't wait for the first revision as this thing is huge. No mention of release outside of Japan will go on sale for $199.

Untitled-1.jpg

Gameinformer

I'm not sure how to take the Super Smash bros announcement with it be given to Namcon Bandai. I know Brawl was handled by other studios but they were either owned by Nintendo or mainly done Nintendo games.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced Namco Bandai Games is leading development on the Super Smash Bros. title for Wii U and 3DS.

Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of the Super Smash Bros series, is heading the project from his Sora Ltd. studio.

Gameinformer

I like the fact that the screens are bigger. I've personally being holding off getting one, because I just "knew" a 3DS lite version would come, cause we know how Nintendo is. After they released that silly circle pad addon, I just "knew" that they were going to release a version that integrated 2 circle pads on the system. Now that they have released this, I can't understand WTF they didn't integrate both circle pads onto the system.

Also read it doesn't come with an ac adapter to keep costs down, hint hint we're not going to take a loss on this system anymore.

I like the fact that the screens are bigger. I've personally being holding off getting one, because I just "knew" a 3DS lite version would come, cause we know how Nintendo is. After they released that silly circle pad addon, I just "knew" that they were going to release a version that integrated 2 circle pads on the system. Now that they have released this, I can't understand WTF they didn't integrate both circle pads onto the system.

Also read it doesn't come with an ac adapter to keep costs down, hint hint we're not going to take a loss on this system anymore.

We won't see a second circle pad till the next generation handheld. They are not going to split their handheld community with systems that have it and those that don't.

So I'm happy I didn't wait for the first revision as this thing is huge. No mention of release outside of Japan will go on sale for $199.

Untitled-1.jpg

Gameinformer

I'm not sure how to take the Super Smash bros announcement with it be given to Namcon Bandai. I know Brawl was handled by other studios but they were either owned by Nintendo or mainly done Nintendo games.

Gameinformer

That thing is huge. Looks like it's close to being too big for my cargo pants pocket that my 3ds is usually in when on the move.

As for smash bros, with Sakurai still heading up the project, i'm not too worried about it.

Guess I'll trade in my 3DS and Circle Pad Pro and upgrade, then.

$249 in Australia with a release date of August 23rd.
While reports earlier tonight indicated that the Japanese version of the system will not include an AC adapter, Nintendo of America has confirmed that the North American version of the 3DS XL will include an AC adapter in the package. A 4GB SD card will also be included with the system.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/nintendo-reveals-3ds-xl?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Farticles+%28IGN+All+Articles%29

The new handheld is coming in Black, Black x Blue, and Black x Red on August 19 in North America for $199. It releases on July 28 in Japan and Europe.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/21/nintendo-3ds-ll-announced.aspx

Is it just me, or does this version look kinda cheap. The plastic its made out of, at least in that photo, makes it look kind of cheap.

This really should have been announced at E3, but hey, Nintendo are a law unto themselves. It was only a matter of time before this came out, but it does look like a good piece of tech. I'm still happy with my DS Lite though, and unfortunately I fall into the camp of those who feel sick when playing on the 3DS.

This really should have been announced at E3, but hey, Nintendo are a law unto themselves. It was only a matter of time before this came out, but it does look like a good piece of tech. I'm still happy with my DS Lite though, and unfortunately I fall into the camp of those who feel sick when playing on the 3DS.

That's what the 3d slider is there for. For those who don't like or can't use the 3d effect.

Is it just me, or does this version look kinda cheap. The plastic its made out of, at least in that photo, makes it look kind of cheap.

Matte plastic finish = WIN. I dislike the glossy finish on the current 3DS's, I can never keep the damned thing clean - and it looks even worse when you take the thing outdoors.

If it's ?150 in the UK I'll pick it up on launch, get a decent ?80 on eBay hopefully for my current one, I was a sucker for the DSi XL :p

I think they should have added the circle pad to this, with the extra trigger buttons as well. People say it would split the market, but I don't see why games just can't have it as an additional control option the user can choose, with the default setting being what we have now.

I'll probably end up getting this because my current 3DS gives me hand cramps when playing Mario Kart 7 or anything else that requires alot of ABXY button pressing and I never had that problem with the DS Lites I've owned.

90% bigger screens.. are you kidding me... Of course they're doing it so that it'll work with the Wii-U thats obvious.

honest question - why is that obvious?

That's what the 3d slider is there for. For those who don't like or can't use the 3d effect.

Oh I know, but I'm not going to buy a 3DS if I can't use what I deem to be the most important part of it. It's a waste of money for me personally.

Matte plastic finish = WIN. I dislike the glossy finish on the current 3DS's, I can never keep the damned thing clean - and it looks even worse when you take the thing outdoors.

I agree glossy devices you're always holding are a bad idea, but I meant that the "rounded/bevelled" design of the thing. And "start home select" buttons under the touch screen look out of place. I thought the current 3DS looked like a kids toy, I think this is even worse.

No 2nd analog built in = no buy.

Think about it for a second, why would they build in a second analogue stick and split the 3DS and XL users down the middle, developers wont take advantage of it because not everyone has the circle pad addon so its just a waste of money including it.