WOW ! Alien message to get reply this August

If there's something you'd like to say to aliens, now's your chance. The Wow! signal, a mysterious radio transmission detected in 1977 that may or may not have come from extraterrestrials, is finally getting a response from humanity. Anyone can contribute his or her two cents ? or 140 characters, to be exact ? to the cosmic reply via Twitter.

All tweets composed between 8 p.m. EDT Friday (June 29) and 3 a.m. EDT Saturday (June 30) tagged with the hashtag #ChasingUFOs will be rolled into a single message, according to the National Geographic Channel, which is timing the Twitter event to coincide with the premiere of the channel's new series, "Chasing UFOs."

Then on Aug. 15, exactly 35 years after the Wow! signal was detected, humanity's crowdsourced message will be beamed into space in the direction from which the perplexing signal originated.

We are working with Arecibo Observatory to develop the best way to encrypt the transmission," said Kristin Montalbano, a spokeswoman for the National Geographic Channel. "Earlier transmissions have focused on simplicity, whereas this one will rely more on creating a complex but noticeable pattern, hopefully standing out from other random, natural noise.

"More than likely we will be using binary phase codes," or sequences of 1s and 0s.

The Wow! signal is the only blip of incoming data to have stood out from the noise in the four decades that astronomers have been scouring the heavens for signs of life ? an effort known as the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence, or SETI. The Big Ear radio observatory at Ohio State University picked up the intense 72-second radio transmission coming from the direction of the constellation Sagittarius. At its peak, the transmission was 30 times more powerful than ambient radiation from deep space, prompting the volunteer astronomer Jerry Ehman to scrawl "Wow!" next to the data on a computer printout, giving the signal its name.

No one knows whether the seemingly unnatural signal really was beamed toward us by aliens, and despite great effort, scientists have never managed to detect a repeat transmission from the same spot in the sky. Thirty-five years on, the Wow! signal remains a complete mystery.

source

The truth is the Human race is not ready or prepared to come face to face with another life form. We are way too violent against each other as it is. We have issues within ourselves that makes us very dangerous and volatile. When we learn to live in peace with each other then we can think about meeting other life forms but until we learn to treat each other with respect, I don't see that ever happening.

Every life form on Earth lives by violence against their own kind so we are no different but this said if they are like us they will merely come to conquer.

The truth is the Human race is not ready or prepared to come face to face with another life form. We are way too violent against each other as it is. We have issues within ourselves that makes us very dangerous and volatile. When we learn to live in peace with each other then we can think about meeting other life forms but until we learn to treat each other with respect, I don't see that ever happening.

Nice try, alien spy.

Trying to chill us, so that we're not prepared by the time of the invasion.

I guess my message would be "Come play!!!!!!"

I know what you mean...

kinky... :p

Glassed Silver:mac

Nice try, alien spy.

Alien spy? Me?........................LOL

Nice try, alien spy.

If invasion was intended, it would have happened long ago. :laugh: ... and perhaps it did.

Well, hope whatever is sent is read for content. Last thing we need is someone telling the aliens to **** themselves and then turn out someone on the other end is listening.

Send them some heavy rock music that would put em off invading :D

I vote Nickelback. Best ammo against them.

Scirwode

So we are going to broadcast all the junk that Twitter users think is worth while - and all within 140 characters a pop. I wouldn't be surprised if alien life judges us to be pointless and not worthy of the resources our planet has left.

My message would be...

If you value your race, don't come here. Humans will destroy and wipe anything out of existence given half a chance. Sorry x

But i suppose most people will just put...

LOL ALEINS FTW!! #aliens #hello @yeahbruv @snokkums #hashtag #lol #stupididiot