Atheist files complaint over Lancaster County restaurant's church-bulle

If the situation was reversed and Atheists were getting the discount, Christian groups would be ****ed.

Most Christians I know are FAR more tolerant than most atheists I've met, especially those who post here.

Private restaurant can do what they want, he isn't forced to eat there.

agreed , i'm an atheist or whatever ya want to call me and this guy sounds like a douche, no one is forcing him to eat there

The discrimination card is going to overtake the race card soon.

Sad but very true I am afraid! Also when ever someone does not get there way it seems perfectly exceptable to file a lawsuit. :no:

I'm an Atheist and I think this restaurant should be able to give discounts to whomever they wish for any reason.

According to the owners their restaurant is in a heavily religious community and if this 10% discount helps them fill their seats on Sundays then so be it.

• Like 3

Most Christians I know are FAR more tolerant than most atheists I've met, especially those who post here.

I live in the same state as you, and I would beg to differ on this. I'm neither religious, or athiest. I simply do not know, so I chose not to believe in any extreme, cause there isn't enough knowledge to credit or discredit a God. Nor will there ever be, probably.

That said; the beliefs I hold, tend to get me held in a lower standard here in Mississippi. I don't ever talk about them unless asked, and even then I don't cause I'm not fond of defending myself in something I don't consider to be worthwhile. But I keep my mouth closed generally here, because my business would suffer if I expressed my beliefs, because most people here are deeply religious, and I have been scalded for what I believe. It is ridiculous, to say the least, that what I believe, or don't believe would drive customers away from my shop.

Now atheists I have met, or people who share a similar thought to what I believe, don't care, don't even mention it, and don't even see it as worthwhile to even discuss.

This is the first time I think, I've openly expressed my beliefs on NeoWin, and even here I'm not comfortable in doing so.

This is the first time I think, I've openly expressed my beliefs on NeoWin, and even here I'm not comfortable in doing so.

Just wondering why, online you are pretty much anonymous.

How is this different from any other kind of coupon? It's like complaining that some stores discriminate against those of us who don't buy newspapers or have a coupon.com account.

• Like 2

Just wondering why, online you are pretty much anonymous.

I don't see it the same way. You are still held accountable for things you say, especially here on NeoWin, where I try to respect the community and members, and hope I'm treated the same way. I doubt it would be difficult for anyone on here to find out more about me, as I generally don't hide anything.

Plus, I still have a conscience, and it bugs me sometimes, where I say something and it comes off completely the wrong way. I don't intentionally offend, but that is how it ends up most of the time.

If they changed it to "anyone with a blue piece of paper will get a 10% discount. And anyone can get a blue piece of paper from several local buildings" no one would say anything. It's no different!

• Like 2

No I don't think it's overblown. Atheists in America are one of the most hated and discriminated minorities, in fact studies suggests that they're just as hated if not more so than Muslims, and given how much America still cries about 9/11 that's a whole lotta hate.

Christians are. you and your Atheist friends and the Atheist agenda do nothing more than try to tell Christians what they can and can't do. If he doesn't like the fact that someone can bring a church bulletin in for a price rebate, then don't eat there. Atheists always scream like they're victims. the US is full of victims.... simply put, he's trying to make his trick pay up. at least a hooker let's you know the price up front

Christians are. you and your Atheist friends and the Atheist agenda do nothing more than try to tell Christians what they can and can't do. If he doesn't like the fact that someone can bring a church bulletin in for a price rebate, then don't eat there. Atheists always scream like they're victims. the US is full of victims.... simply put, he's trying to make his trick pay up. at least a hooker let's you know the price up front

6cj1a.jpg

Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color

Semantics or not it's still a belief system. Black is actually a non color, but most people think Black is still a color.

The idea that some how someone is offended because of a discount given for a church bulletin shows lack of maturity.

Nobody is making you not eat there, nobody is taking away your rights to do anything. I support you as an Atheist, I think that is fine in this country.

However, you better keep your hands off my rights to worship as I see fit.

Oh and by the way, I am not a right wing person and I am not a republican, I am an independent. However, I am not going to have people walk over me, if I want to buy a Soda in NYC and some popcorn you bet I will and I have done that and if I want to worship in my Church, then you should respect that too. Too many people are trying to get rid of people's rights because it's not what they are for or what they want and that is wrong.

If you are an Atheist then that is your thing, but once you step over the line and start telling me what to do or how I should be more like you, then yeah forget that.

A lot of people who dislike Atheists do so because a lot of Atheists happen to be real jerks and only care about themselves and so people can't trust them. It's not rocket science kid.

• Like 2

Semantics or not it's still a belief system. Black is actually a non color, but most people think Black is still a color.

The idea that some how someone is offended because of a discount given for a church bulletin shows lack of maturity.

Nobody is making you not eat there, nobody is taking away your rights to do anything. I support you as an Atheist, I think that is fine in this country.

Oh and by the way, I am not a right wing person and I am not a republican, I am an independent. However, I am not going to have people walk over me, if I want to buy a Soda in NYC and some popcorn you bet I will and I have done that and if I want to worship in my Church, then you should respect that too. Too many people are trying to get rid of people's rights because it's not what they are for or what they want and that is wrong.

If you are an Atheist then that is your thing, but once you step over the line and start telling me what to do or how I should be more like you, then yeah forget that.

A lot of people who dislike Atheists do so because a lot of Atheists happen to be real jerks and only care about themselves and so people can't trust them. It's not rocket science kid.

I think that sums it up quite nicely! Very well said!

Belief or not, semantics and all, still doesn't make atheism a religion and does not dispute what you quoted me saying. Religions are more then just a belief system. Atheism is still not a religion.

No argument here about this guy's issue with this restaurant, he is being childish for the sake of it. I don't how ever see anything suggesting that someone is trying to keep someone else from worshiping what ever.

It should be pointed out that it goes both ways. To many people on the religious side try to push their views on the rest of society regardless of the fact that many don't share those over all views. If you are concerned about one side pushing then you should be equally concerned with the other.

Again the street runs both ways. Let's not ignore that the religious in the country are the majority and as such feel the need to push their view just as much and as many have argued, more so. Atheist aren't the ones going door to door preaching their view. They don't have dedicated 24 hour cable channels and they don't have lobbyist groups spending multi-millions on pushing their agenda with the gov. Atheism is definitely growing and more vocal in the last few decades but we are far, far behind the curve in those regards.

Lastly, more and more are turning against religion for the same reasons you listed above on why atheists are disliked. As you said, it's not rocket science kid.

• Like 1

You can call it a belief system, but people go too far when they call atheism a religion.

Agreed.

You're changing the subject. Nobody is trying to do that.

However, I am not going to have people walk over me, if I want to buy a Soda in NYC and some popcorn you bet I will and I have done that and if I want to worship in my Church, then you should respect that too.

Nobody here is trying to take your rights away.

Too many people are trying to get rid of people's rights because it's not what they are for or what they want and that is wrong.

I agree with you. Tell that to the radical religious who are trying to make religious ideas into law.

Nobody is trying to tell you what to do...

Basically, it comes down to this: You're not allowed to discriminate arbitrarily, even in a private business. You can't set lower prices based on discriminatory practices. My opinion of this is that it's questionable, but I'm leaning towards interpreting it as a simple coupon as long the church bulletins are freely available.

Liar. Christians are. you and your Atheist friends and the Atheist agenda do nothing more than try to tell Christians what they can and can't do. If he doesn't like the fact that someone can bring a church bulletin in for a price rebate, then don't eat there. Atheists always scream like they're victims. the US is full of victims.... simply put, he's trying to make his trick pay up. at least a hooker let's you know the price up front

Actually, according to evidence presented a few pages ago in this thread, Athiests are in fact the most disliked.

I too thought "Religious people are definitley the most hated" since I go to a university full of either mostly athiests or very non-religious religious people, and the religious people we do see are crazy nutjobs preaching about insane stuff. But outside of the educational world, it's quite different apparently.

Anyways, this coupon isn't any different than a rafting company giving people a coupon for a restaurant right next to the rafting company after they purchase a ticket, etc.

Coupons are often exclusive, you can get coupons for being members of a website, coupons for being members of a certain club, coupons for being members of an online car forum, etc.

Plus in this case, ANYONE can go into the church and grab a coupon flyer. In my state's jury waiting room, they had a list of restaurants nearby and some had coupons you could take. Are people who aren't selected for jury duty being discriminated against cause they can't get to that coupon????? That's how ridiculous this article is.

Sorry, but no. Atheism is a lack of belief. That's what the 'a' in front of 'theist' means.

If only you theists would practice the same policy...

• Like 2

>

+ infinity

The problem is a lot of atheists claim not having a belief system while evangelizing their beliefs more than some evangelical churches do (full disclosure - I'm Evangelical Lutheran.)

The problem is a lot of atheists claim not having a belief system while evangelizing their beliefs more than some evangelical churches do (full disclosure - I'm Evangelical Lutheran.)

Some atheists may do that, sure... There are militants for everything. All most of us want though, is for theists to stop cramming their religious nonsense down our throats day in and day out, getting laws passed that favour their delusions, and even getting actual science removed from schools in favour of religious dogma that even the church hierarchy itself doesn't believe in.

But I guess it's OK for them to do all that, right? We just have to shut up and "deal with it". :rolleyes:

+ infinity

And yet even if you add up all those evangelizing atheist, they would still be overshadowed by the amount of the evangelizing theist.

• Like 1

It would be funny if it was a hoax and there is no atheist in the hopes religious folk see it and then go there for lunch out of spite or something :p

And yet even if you add up all those evangelizing atheist, they would still be overshadowed by the amount of the evangelizing theist.

And their influence would be about one hundredth of one percent of their evangelising theist counterparts. I see very little evidence that vocal atheists are having any real effect on politics or social issues.

Also, no one ever suggested all atheists are reasonable and sensible. You can be an atheist and have some silly, incoherent ideas. They're just seldom supernaturally based.