What is the max throughput for wifi wireless?

I'm having Verizon Fios Quantum 75 Mbps down and 35Mbps up installed tomorrow. Can my wifi wireless handle the full pipe or at a handicap?

any help will be wonderful. they arrive 8am this morning.

Cheers!

Chris

for those who don't know. Fios is a fiber optic network and quantum expands some 4 times the speed of regular Fios. This should/could get interesting.

That's a loaded question..

First there are many different types of wireless.. A, B, G, and N are the big ones for routers.. with G and N making up the vast majority these days.

Then you need to factor in signal strength, the quality of the devices, etc.

Real world, you will be fine.. though I believe in Theory you could max out many N routers/clients..

That said, I avoid Wireless for my main system(s).. It can be iffy, I'd rather run a cable. My Desktop and Fileserver are both wired in.. Laptops, Tablets, etc I use wireless..

You never mentioned the wireless router/access point your using.

At that speed you can max out a lot of wireless devices on the throughput. However just because you have a 75Mbps connection doesn't mean your always going to get that speed from the server(s) your connecting to. So the internet is the bottleneck at times.

Here are some compared to get an idea. There was another site but I don't remember where I bookmarked it for comparison. You can select the different freqs/bw/streams for downlink throughput

http://www.smallnetb...ter-charts/view

As stated there are lots of factors that can bring it down like interference from other networks and devices, obstructions in building materials and placement, environmental etc etc.

This is where wired networks have a definite advantage.

Yup that smallbuilders link is good place to start. And from those charts, unless your talking a 80Mhz Bandwidth with 3 streams then yup your wireless is not going to be able to handle it.

As mentioned if you want performance use a wire, wireless is great for access for like reading your email or light surfing, checking sport scores on your mobile devices. But if your looking to move data, then you need a wire plain and simple.

As others have mentioned already the simple answer is, "it depends."

54G = 22-24Mbps

150N = 40-60Mbps*

300N = 70-90Mbps*

300N = 110-130Mbps**

450N = 150-200Mbps**

* = Cleaner the signal the higher you can get but it will max out around there.

** = 5Ghz range with a 2x3 or 3x3 wireless card in your laptop (3 antennas).

So for 75Mbps i'd say get a dual-band device such as the Netgear WNDR3700, 3800, 4000, 4500 or the Linksys E4200, EA2700, 3200 or 4500.

[rant] :argue:

You never mentioned the wireless router/access point your using.

At that speed you can max out a lot of wireless devices on the throughput. However just because you have a 75Mbps connection doesn't mean your always going to get that speed from the server(s) your connecting to. So the internet is the bottleneck at times....

I always see people say this and it irks me to death :angry: . I'm not getting a 300Mbps connection to load "neowin.net" faster, i'm getting it so that when i'm downloading from a few 6-12GB files from "Microsoft.com" my connection doesn't stall out when i'm trying to stream netflix also as well as other people playing Xbox in the house. Remember the days of 56K where you basically did 1 thing at a time? You were either downloading or browsing, you hate doing both at the sametime because at 4KB/s your 56K line woud be saturated and browsing would just be painful! :D

Not attacking you by the way, that's just 1 thing I see people always mention when it comes to a connection faster than 10Mbps or something on tons of different sites. The first statement is that it must be something illegal! :rolleyes:

[/rant]

Ok back on topic now, sorry for the little rant :rofl:

shotta35 is right w/ those estimations. in my case, my router can supposedly do 300Mbps, but my laptop only has single-band n-wireless which limits the connection to 150Mbps. in real world transfer speeds between the laptop and my NAS over wireless, i can hit around 80Mbps. that is, of course, if im 1-5' from the router.

so, ChrisJ, we'll need to know what hardware you have - router, laptop and what kind of network card it has.

Not sure exactly what shotta is reporting there.. But not really matching up with the smallbuilders database.

On there I show 450 (3stream) using 80 mhz bw in the low 100s for average for the 5ghz

post-14624-0-37751500-1341321976.png

From what I can tell from that database is your typical wireless N router just not really going to cut it for those kinds of speeds without being a hit in the performance. Here is 3 stream 40 and its just not really cutting it for average download on a 75mbps connection

post-14624-0-51435800-1341322088.png

If you look at your typical 2.4 3x download 40mhz there is the 1 that amped router that looks like it would be ok, but the others are below the 75 mark.

post-14624-0-01161700-1341322332.png

As mentioned we really need to know what you have currently, and what your wireless client is going to connect in as well to be able to tell you if your going to be close an ok, or just taking a huge hit and not worth paying for with your current hardware, etc.

ok, I'm using a Atheros AR9002WB-1NG wireless adapter 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN in my Toshiba P775D-S7144

Router: Verizon Fios Router with wireless features

Got to love this

http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/MI424WR%20Verizon%20FiOS%20Router%20Datasheet.pdf

Says it supports 802.11n (future)??

So clearly with that 1 antenna sticking up its not a 3 streamer ;) So highly doubt your going to get anywhere close to 75Mbps wireless on that thing.

NewgenBH-1.jpg

When are they going to release 802.11ac adapters? I've seen the Buffalo router and bridge, but nothing else. When that starts coming out, that could be the way to go.

As much as I respect Tim at smallnetbuilder, I find his results are usually quite a bit lower then what is actually achievable.

The fastest 5Ghz, 3 stream, 40Mhz downlink result he's ever recorded was 104.5Mbps (with a Linksys EA3500). Yet here I am, getting 144Mbps of throughput on a wireless system that is one floor down and two rooms away from my wireless router. Yes, throughput. Not link speed. I mean I have a file transfer currently running at ~18MB/s. I'm not breaking any LAN speed records here, but it's more than enough to allow me to happily stream full 1080p Blu-Ray rips (i.e. 20GB+ .mkv files) from my home server to my HTPC, without a hitch.

This is with an Asus RT-N66U 450Mbps router and an Asus EA-N66 450Mbps bridge. Both are on stock firmware; no special tweaks. I simply took the time to set up both devices properly and positioned them well.

I do agree with SHoTTa35's numbers. Basically, take the maximum speed listed on the router's box... and chop it in half. That is the most you will ever get out of it. With that said, a good 5Ghz, 3 stream 450Mbps setup (even 300Mbps, depending on your home layout) should allow you to saturate your 75Mbps Verizon internet service.

I'm getting a consistent, stable 35 down and 32 up.

added: Actually I'm using the Revision F now. but looks still the same in all aspects. I use my laptop wired and get the full 75 down and 35 up. sweet video play back too. ;)

Ok so your on F, that's good info from there you can see

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=213

Says its N in the manual you can download from the above link, but doesn't give any info about N setup in the wireless section. Manual still looks like its still only b/g.

But its clear from that 1 antenna its got that your really not going to rock it with multiple streams ;) 35 down -- pretty crappy for N.. More like a supped up G connection ;)

So clearly if your going to want to get full speed of your connection wireless, your going to need a new router to at least use as an AP if not the actual endpoint. Now what shotta and Canuck seems to be saying is any wireless router that says 450 or 300 or even 150 would work for you /2 = your speed. But I would be more likely to believe the actual benchmark numbers from smallbuilders to what you more likely to see in real world.

Yes I agree /2 is for sure what your at MAX going to be able to see from the numbers the makers report, but I would not bet on actually seeing that in real world to be honest.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just wanna share my experience with Asus RT-66u and Asus AC-66u.

Both had the same result on 5Ghz..

The router is place at my living room and I'm using the Asus EA-66u to surf from my bedroom.

I transfer a single file from my PC(Which link to Asus EA-66u) to my WD Live 3TB via wifi on 5Ghz.

And this is my transfer speed.

44666_503984966308118_867494439_n.jpg

My Wifi setting:

Wireless ? General

Channel bandwidth: 40Mhz

Control Channel: 48

Authentication Method: WPA2

WPA Encryption: AES

Wireless ? Professional

RTS Threshold: 2000

DTIM Interval: 1

Beacon Interval: 3

Enable TX Bursting: Enable

Wireless Multicast Forwarding: Enable

Enable WMM APSD: Enable

Tx Power adjustment: 120

OK YOU CAN STOP LOOKING AT ALL OTHER ROUTERS AT THIS POINT

If you look back at the picture with the Amped Wireless router that's an R1. I have the R2 dual band dual channel extreme coverage router. I get 300mbps through put. varies between 270 - 300, mostly 300. The best thing you can do is get the R2 and get yourself a Samsung Pro 840 SSD. Your downloads and uploads will be much better. That's all I have to say, take or leave it.

Check out deals on Amazon and Ebay.

http://www.ampedwireless.com/support/model/r20000g.html#downloads

MY MINION HAS SPOKEN!!!!

GET AMPED!!!!

They are also gonna release 802.11ac GB HARDCORER ROUTERS

• Like 2

Not sure exactly what shotta is reporting there.. But not really matching up with the smallbuilders database.

snipped

I know this is a old post - but figured i'd drop this here from last year:

http://www.neowin.ne...t__p__594469651

Using Tomato now, I get 30MB/s (240Mbps) on my Linksys E4200 V1 with a Intel 6300 5Ghz 3 Stream connection (450Mbps).

I'd expect the new AC routers to be kicking even more ass than what SmallNetBuilder shows as well.

I'd be curious as to what those Amped routers get? I doubt any better than mine as they are more for range but still curious!