The No.1 Skyscraper (508 m high) on the Planet

Still don't quite get what it is with the "competition" over having the tallest building at times. Certainly very boyish locker-room "mine is bigger than yours" kind of stuff.

Tongue-in-cheek mate.

Just "feel" really vulnerable.

Now keep on the line of antiterrorism!

lol its business men obsessed with larger things competing with the next rich dude.

edit: possibly to make themselves feel a little better having something bigger... replacing their feeling of inadequacy.. down below :x

Eh. Because of the issues like air traffic control! Haha, Americans are rich people, they fly everywhere, and they pursuit No.1 champion everywhere too! Pathetically, their skycrapers block their flyers! So they have lost the fame of No.1 skyscraper in the world :D

Whoopeee. (Y) Your tower is bigger than mine.. Myeeeeh..

Anyway I still think the Petronas Towers are cooler, maybe because there's two and there's that cool bridge joining them.

petronas.jpg

petronas_2.jpg

Looks fricken awesome.

Oh and if you read your own sources you would see the headline:

Taipei 101 tops Petronas as world's tallest building

The Taipei 101 office building laid claim to the title of the world's tallest skyscraper following a ceremony yesterday to position a 60m spire on top of the structure.

With the addition of the spire, the building boasts of a full height of 508m, eclipsing Malaysia's Petronas Twin Towers, a company executive said yesterday.

"We believe that Taipei 101 will bring a fresh taste to Taipei's skyline," said Lin Hong-ming (林鴻明), president of Taipei Financial Center Corp, owner of the skyscraper.

Lin hopes the landmark, though still under construction, will attract more tenants in the Hsinyi district.

Though the leasing of office space is still in its initial stages, Lin expects about 80 percent of the 60,000 ping at Taipei 101 will be leased within 18 months.

"What concerns our potential tenants is how to earn more money after moving into Taipei 101 [with around-the-clock services] rather than saving money through lower rentals," Lin said.

Jones Lang LaSalle Taiwan, the primary leasing agent for the Taipei 101 tower, is not sure about the leasing prospects, however.

20031017214914.jpeg

hey has it been mentioned yet that the previous tallest towers were the Petronas Towers????

Yes it had :D

But Mr. JohnsonBox is on his anti American anti Western, my country is better than yours. Crusade at the moment. (N)

It's not "their tower", it's Taiwans tower.

and I thought the former tallest building wasn't Sears but the Petronas Towers in Malaysia

davemania24 means there is two China in the world, one called PRC, another Taiwan.

Sears Tower is more famous than Petronas Towers I think.

Coming from a guy who thought it was the sailsea tower.

Oh, and the Tower is finished.

Yes it had :D

But Mr. JohnsonBox is on his anti American anti Western, my country is better than yours. Crusade at the moment. (N)

:D

Where can you get those evidences with which you can prove Mr. JohnsonBox is anti American?

Do you mind let me give you some hint? Find out the proofs in your fancy imagination!

Or else, you shall flog a dead horse for seeking such costly proofs.:D

other titleholders were the empire state building, world trade center, then the sears tower, then the petronas tower, now the taipei 101 office block, and there's another buildin goin up in shanghai, china that's supposed to be taller when it's done in 2007.

the Shanghai Financial Center is cancelled... Shanghai was built on swamp lands and its sinking anywhere from 1-4 inches a year so theyve haulted any tall construction in the city

the tallest building in the world will go where the Wold Trade Center once stood at around 2000ft or ~600m

heres an image of the 3 tallest buildings in the world in order of "official height" if u ask me, the sears still has the highest occupiable floors even though its entennas dont count in official heigh because its a removeable structure, the ones of the petronas and Taipei 101 do because theyre structural elements and not radio transmitting entennae

post-58-1067107735.jpg

btw, the CN Tower is not really a building like the ones above, it only has 7 or so floors, its floors dont start from the ground to the top...

heres another comparison of height... the building in NY on the old World Trade Center site will also be taller than the tip of the CN Tower

post-58-1067108178.jpg

I thought the tower on the new WTC site was going to 1776ft? Has this changed?

well its been going back and forth, they say the observation deck will be at 1776ft which would make the building itselt 2100ft or so, but they are promising a worlds tallest building on the site