PC games sales up 230%. Console game sales down 28%

According to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game hardware -- a.k.a consoles -- software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. And with the release of Blizzard's (ATVI) Diablo III, May also saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/05/could-pc-gaming-make-a-comeback/

Too bad NPD Group only counts the sales from retail stores. Would be interesting to see the figures including digital distribution services like Steam and Origin.

The current generation of consoles just simply aren't good enough any more. They were designed for 720p yet most of the AAA can't even hit that, having to sacrifice resolution and texture quality in order to maintain framerates. Meanwhile, PC gaming offers better load times, better quality textures, better image processing (anti-aliasing, etc), better prices, better resolutions (over 4x as many pixels on just single monitor setups), more flexibility (mods, tweaks, etc) and better control interfaces (supports KB+M, as well as console style controllers).

NPD is irrelevant though - it only tracks retail sales. And the only reason the PC has scored well now is because of Diablo III. You'd need to see sales figures for Steam, Origin and Green Man Gaming to get a true picture of things. PC gaming offers a much better experience but is also more costly. You get what you pay for.

• Like 2

I think this is just a spike due to several big pc games doing well and the consoles being quite weak right now. I think it's clear that the gaming industry is starting to prepare for new consoles. Early 2014 or late 2013.

The current generation of consoles just simply aren't good enough any more. They were designed for 720p yet most of the AAA can't even hit that, having to sacrifice resolution and texture quality in order to maintain framerates. Meanwhile, PC gaming offers better load times, better quality textures, better image processing (anti-aliasing, etc), better prices, better resolutions (over 4x as many pixels on just single monitor setups), more flexibility (mods, tweaks, etc) and better control interfaces (supports KB+M, as well as console style controllers).

NPD is irrelevant though - it only tracks retail sales. And the only reason the PC has scored well now is because of Diablo III. You'd need to see sales figures for Steam, Origin and Green Man Gaming to get a true picture of things. PC gaming offers a much better experience but is also more costly. You get what you pay for.

Yeah, the initial cost of the hardware for PC gaming is far from cheap. Cheaper games rarely make up for it.

Also, multiplayer on PCs is online-only by a large majority. Therefore, unless you have other PC nerd friends to play with online or in a LAN (which is EFFORT compared to simply using 4 wireless controllers on a console) you're stuck to playing on your own or online with people you don't know.

Basically, PCs and consoles both have their good points.

% (percentage) is out of 100, so, how can it increase by 230?

That's simple math. Once you hit the same numbers as last year you get the 100%. The sales this year where way above that of last year, so you get a higher percentage rate.

Yeah, the initial cost of the hardware for PC gaming is far from cheap. Cheaper games rarely make up for it.

But if you need a computer for other purposes then it poses much better value.

Also, multiplayer on PCs is online-only by a large majority. Therefore, unless you have other PC nerd friends to play with online or in a LAN (which is EFFORT compared to simply using 4 wireless controllers on a console) you're stuck to playing on your own or online with people you don't know.

It depends on the game. I've been having a blast with DiRT Showdown in splitscreen with a couple of wireless X360 controllers hooked up, outputting to a 42" HDTV at 1080p. Consoles can't even come close that level of visual fidelity. And I play 4-player local PC games like NBA2k11 and Virtua Tennis 4; along with 2-player games like Super Street Fighter IV, Beat Hazard, Shank 2, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Renegade Ops, etc.

I agree that consoles have many good exclusive titles - and many limit split screen only to the console version - but I just find the step down in visual quality too much. It's like the Halo series - I really love the concept but the graphics are terrible and I hate playing FPS games on console. If they were on PC I'd snap them up in a second. The difference is like stepping down from a X360 to the Wii - sure the Wii has some cool games but it's hard to take seriously.

PC gaming offers a much better experience but is also more costly. You get what you pay for.

On the other hand on consoles you don't have to care about software issues for the most part. I can't remember the last time I had issues playing a game on PS3 - I can remember when I had issues playing a game on a PC though, which would be yesterday.

And then there's always Windows - if you don't use it or don't want to, you're screwed.

Irrelevant. Majority of console gamers don't know what any of these things mean, and don't care. The fall of console game has nothing to do with loosing their sales to the pc. You could run the ps3 and 360 for another 5 years and most console gamers wouldn't complain long as the games are good.

% (percentage) is out of 100, so, how can it increase by 230?

you're being facetious surely?

lolpiracy........wait what?

PC is the unofficial home of piracy yet sales are up, wonder what the next excuse will be.

Joke?

If not..a stunning indictment of the British education system.

Here's a quote for you:

In mathematics, a percentage is a way of expressing a number, especially a ratio, as a fraction of 100. The word is derived from the Latin per centum meaning ?by the hundred?.

Technically he's right, although we do use percentage for showing more than 100% to say something has added in value or quantity over the initial value or quantity. So yeah when you look at the etymology of the word "percent".

And yes, good to see that PC sales are doing so well, I'd love to see the Steam and Origin and every other digital service sales figures added to that figure too. :)

- Alera :shiftyninja:

err.. wtf

He's being facetious but at the same time he's right, in a way - by definition percentage means "by the hundred."

Also I find the whole "what's the next excuse" to be hilarious - because we all know how game manufacturers HATE to make money. They hate PC just because they're evil and they come up with excuses so they can't sell their games to the largest install base in the world.

Yes, they just hate profit, clearly.

In mathematics, a percentage is a way of expressing a number, especially a ratio, as a fraction of 100. The word is derived from the Latin per centum meaning ?by the hundred?.

You can have a top-heavy fraction. You can have 230 one-hundreths, so 230% is not illogical..

He's being facetious but at the same time he's right, in a way - by definition percentage means "by the hundred."

Also I find the whole "what's the next excuse" to be hilarious - because we all know how game manufacturers HATE to make money. They hate PC just because they're evil and they come up with excuses so they can't sell their games to the largest install base in the world.

Yes, they just hate profit, clearly.

I think he meant what will be their excuse for the numbers not supporting their claims. And by "them" I presume he meant the copyright lobbyists, rather than the games industry as a whole.

Whilst I'm sure the industry executives are entirely objective, although they may be swayed at times by questionable statistics and reports, certain copy right groups have shown repeatedly that they are quite capable of reaching conclusions not supported by evidence. Or of making up evidence, or just blindly supporting conclusions that are completely in contradiction with all available evidence. It seems to be a recurring theme with them.

230% and still only 80million compared to consoles of over $500million, lol. What where the stats difference before D3 release then.

PC sales have definitely seen an increase due to Diablo3 and other strong PC releases recently while consoles have had a pretty poor lineup. I used to be a hardcore PC gamer but nowadays i find i prefer my gaming to be sat on my reclining sofa playing on my big screen TV with a pad instead of hunched over a computer desk scared to blink in case i get headshot or ganked. Sure, the graphics aren't as good as PC and the joypad means you have to play FPS's with a different skillset but I enjoy the games and in the end that's what it's about. I still have a decent gaming rig that i keep upgrading just in case there's a PC title i fancy buying or returning to. But, for the near future, i don't see anything for me personally.

Seriously, gaming on a PC right now, for example, like my laptop offers a far better experience than in a console, I even prefer now to use the mice instead of the gamepad for FPS games (thanks max payne 3 for that)... Currently playing max payne 1, such an amazing game for its time...

Edit: No game that I can't play with my current laptop (1 year old) with 30+ FPS at almost always max settings.

I can't imagine playing Skyrim on a console. I always run it with the highest settings and HD texture mods.

I originally played Skyrim on 360 when it came out. It was fine. Then my 360 crapped out, I got a PS3 and decided to build a gaming PC. Started Skyrim over on the PC w/ mods. Holy hell, what a difference. Not just the graphics - that's the obvious stuff. But how about hot keying your favorites? That one aspect alone has changed the game for me. Being able to mod the overall gaming experience like higher level bosses and scaling magic, adding new homes, new and harder enemies, etc.

The console has its place, for sure. And it definitely is more financially feasible for a lot of people. But I can't imagine going back for gaming.