.50 BMG vs. ballistic gel (the gel loses)

Yup, if that were a person, they would be pretty much toast. I was amazed at just how much the ballistic gel exploded.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told (never tested), the the hydro-static disturbance radius around a .50 cal round is roughly 6 inches. So in theory, you could miss someone altogether, and if the bullet came within 6 inches of them it would still peel their skin back or cause severe damage.

I'm pretty sure the "shockwave from a 50 cal can kill you" thing is pretty much a myth, I also believe Mythbusters tested just that, but with glass. they couldn't get any size and power of bullet to even move the glass unless it touched.

The shockwave from a bullet isn't going to kill anyone. 3000 ft/s is still extremely slow compared to the speed of a blast wave from an explosion.

Hydrostatic shock requires the bullet to hit tissue. It's based on the peak pressure wave each bullet generates, and largely the remote damage this causes the central nervous system.

This happens because the pressure wave can propogate very efficiently through the circulatory system, causing a water hammer like effect. This transmitted pressure wave can burst small vessels in the brain, or even cause a cerebral hemorrhage (stroke.)

The rule of thumb is that a pressure wave of 1,000 PSI virtually assures a neurological effect, though it can still happen at 500-1,000 PSI but with a lower odds.

The common semi-auto calibers most likely to cause a neurological effect (>1,000 PSI) are the FN 5.7mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .45 .ACP, 10mm, .500 S&W, .50AE etc. 9mm is borderline, with its PPW ranging from 800-1,100 PSI depending on the specific ammo.

Of the really common semi-autos .357 SIG & FN 5.7mm (1300+ PSI, .40 S&W (1600+ PSI) and .45 ACP (1,800+ PSI) are favored. FN 5.7 is used by the Secret Service, .357 SIG is used by the Federal Air Marshall's, .40 S&W is used by most other Federal agencies and a lot of law enforcement (DHS just ordered 450 million rounds), and the .45 is still very popular, including with Special Forces.