MS Official Announce Release of Windows 8 & Server 2012

nah was talking about office

shouldn't it RTM close to Windows 8 ? or else WinRT would be officeless at launch(wouldn't imagine they would ship beta software with production machine)

Office RT may already be deemed final by the time Windows RT RTMs. It has far less applications to deal with.

Or they'll release Windows RT with the beta and update it via Windows Update or something. Curious to see which route they'll take.

TWC9: Windows 8/VS2012 RTM Dates, Virtual Metro Dev, Search with Sando and more

This week on Channel 9, Dan and Brian discuss the week's top developer news, including:

[1:08] Upcoming Windows Milestones Shared with Partners at WPC (Brandon LeBlanc)

[2:13] When will VS2012 RTM? Jason Zander Tweets it... (Jason Zander)

[2:48] TechEd Europe 2012

[3:57] Windows 8 Release Preview [C# Metro Style App Dev] Virtual Labs

[5:26] What Windows 8 Developers Should Know About The Cloud (Bruno Terkaly)

[6:41] Creating Metro style apps that stand out from the crowd (Bonny Lau)

[8:04] Channel 9 Highlight: GPU debugging in Visual Studio 2012 (Daniel Moth)

[9:07] Sando: A Fast Local Code Search Engine with Open APIs, Visual Studio Gallery Post, Code Search in Visual Studio - Video Blog (David Shepherd)

[10:43] Make Portable Libraries Your Go-To Project Template (John Bowen)

[12:01] Pragmatic Tips for Building Better Windows Phone Apps (Andrew Byrne)

i thought they would launch them together?

Jason Zander@jlzander 8:28 PM - 10 Jul 12 via web

At ?#wpc? the Windows 8 RTM timeframe was disclosed. I'm happy to announce that ?#VS2012? will RTM in early August with Windows.

windows RT and office 2013 will rtm in a few months, windows rt was supposed to launch at same time but it is complex. 3 weeks till win8 rtm, i'm guessing it will leak 1-2 weeks later as oem's usually get it before technet/msdn. I'll wait until there is a 1-click tool to disable metro for win8 desktop.

Windows 8 might RTM first and then Windows RT and Office 2013/RT will RTM after that and together.

They skipped Office 13 and went straight to 14, so why would they release Office 2013? For that matter, you'd expect Server 2013, but it's Server 2012.

There's internal version numbers and then external dates for the names, aka 2007 and 2010. Office 2007 is version 12.x and 2010 is version 14. They skipped 13 though cuz it's a bad number heh. So Office 2013 is version 15. Anyways, office has always used the date in the release name and not the version number as far back as Office 97 that I can remember.

Yep, but if they skipped an internal version number, they'll definitely skip it for external purposes. If it's shipping in 2013 they might just call it Office 2014.

Yep, but if they skipped an internal version number, they'll definitely skip it for external purposes. If it's shipping in 2013 they might just call it Office 2014.

The Office programming team decided to skip 13; the marketing team decided to use 2013. Naming the release after a year other than the one it's released would be confusing and unprofessional.

The Office programming team decided to skip 13; the marketing team decided to use 2013. Naming the release after a year other than the one it's released would be confusing and unprofessional.

I think skipping "13" in the first place is dumb enough.

Rumor from WZOR :laugh:

screen1115.jpg

Google translate:

Microsoft reserves the right to release the final in the form of 8888.16385, will inform about the details of an additional

WZOR had posted about a build 9200: 9200.16384.120725-1247

His explanation(or rather, guess) is that, this is a win9 prototype, but my idea is : this just doesn't make good sense.

screen1117.jpg

Google translate:

Well, actually it is not a joke, and not "garbage", began work on Windows 9, it means that work on Windows 8 is completed and the final RTM build has appeared!, well, this is the first build of Windows 9: 9200.16384.120725-1247

There could be another possibility: build 8888 could be just a smoke screen, the actual win8RTM will be build 9200, because it conforms with the vista/win7 numerology:

1. It is a multiple of 100 and 16

2. It also has a minor build number(16384 atm).

I guess we just have to wait for the final RTM sign-off, then we'll know for sure if is 8888 or 9200. :o