Well CRAP! Was installing the OS for my main set up tonight, smelled burning components. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Power light burned up on the board. Now I get to set up an RMA for exchange tomorrow.

Anyone know if there are still issues with obtaining a Pi given their history of slow orders? From what I understand - this one took a heck of a long time to get in November. Was purchased through Element 14 so hopefully that makes a difference.

I was running off of the usb port on my laptop which worked perfectly last night. The laptop was also powered by the mains so not off of battery. Not that it bugs me really having the bright red light off, but it does in a way knowing that it just isn't working now.

UPDATE: After waiting well over a week for Element 14 to get back to me on the unit, am now getting the RMA set up. They have to now have yet another department email the RMA info to me.

One thing I learned about them though, is with them, if you do an RMA - it isn't a standard RMA like most companies AFAIK work it. RMA is issued (Normal), once they get your return, they refund your credit card for purchase, no exchange unless you ask for one. But irregardless - you exchange the Pi, they still refund your card and then charge it again for price of new one.

Normally, this isn't such an issue, however when it comes to a gift being given to someone - (in my case), then you have to go through the hassle of contacting gift giver, to let them know you are RMA'ing the device (Signals bad product purchase to them and possible hurt feelings), then let them know that their card will be refunded. Can be a tad uncomfortable.

Anyway, advice for those who use a Pi - was told that to never run off of computer USB by them (Element 14) and sort of by Raspberry Pi's site as well:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27066&p=242583#p242583