Connecting Outlook.com with Outlook App

I am able to use the exchange features of Outlook.com on my iPhone and using the built in mail app on OS X. But when I try to set up Outlook 2007 to access it, it fails everytime. The instructions on outlook.com aren't helpful either.

Has anyone done this on Outlook 2007? Or do I need a newer version?

• 3 weeks later...

For Outlook 2007 and 2010, you'll need the Hotmail Connector for Outlook as Outlook.com is basically a re-branded Hotmail (and will likely replace it). Outlook 2013, on the other hand, supports Exchange ActiveSync accounts (including both Hotmail and Outlook.com) directly; even better, both use the same mail server - m.hotmail.com. That means that (except for Yahoo Mail) all my e-mail accounts can be collected by Outlook 2013 directly - no plugins needed.

That means that (except for Yahoo Mail) all my e-mail accounts can be collected by Outlook 2013 directly - no plugins needed.

You should be able to set up your Hotmail account to check your Yahoo mail as well, and you'll have the option to have that mail delivered to your default inbox or a new folder. Then you can easily use Outlook 2013 to check your Yahoo mail, as well, simply by having it synced with your Hotmail. However, while I really, really like Outlook 2013, I like the web interface of Outlook.com even more, so I may go back to using my web browser to check my email, which is something I haven't done in over a decade.

You should be able to set up your Hotmail account to check your Yahoo mail as well, and you'll have the option to have that mail delivered to your default inbox or a new folder. Then you can easily use Outlook 2013 to check your Yahoo mail, as well, simply by having it synced with your Hotmail. However, while I really, really like Outlook 2013, I like the web interface of Outlook.com even more, so I may go back to using my web browser to check my email, which is something I haven't done in over a decade.

If I were outside the US, this wouldn't even be an issue, as only US Yahoo mail account holders are forced to go to Mail Plus for POP3 support. My only other choice for offline reading support for Yahoo mail is Zimbra Desktop.