Mountain Lion = ....meh?

PyX

The ribbon has no place in OSX, it makes no sense

But it?s so much more efficient once you got the hang of it. I would never go back to previous versions of Office. Never ever.

migo

Me neither, but it feels like I'm going to a previous version of office when I'm on OSX.

Vice

In this case, he was right though, or you're being dishonest.

I've had Windows 7 since it went RTM. I've used all its new features. You tell me how someone should be using Aero Peek. Because in my opinion hovering your mouse over an application tab and scanning the little window thumbnails that appear is a waste of space and time and looking up at the display as your windows cycle in and out of focus while you move your mouse over the tabs is also a waste of space. Especially if you have multiple screens like I do because if one of the windows you want is not on your main display it doesn't come in to focus on your main display, it comes in to focus on another display that may not be in your direct vision requiring you to move your head.

This isn't a problem for Expose because no matter where your windows are they correlate in the centre and fill up your entire main display making it much easier to select the window you want and in less time.

But if you think I'm using peek wrong then please enlighten me.

• Like 1
BajiRav

They're sitting on $100billion in cash. They should give something back to the users that made them so damn rich.

Why?

I've had Windows 7 since it went RTM. I've used all its new features. You tell me how someone should be using Aero Peek. Because in my opinion hovering your mouse over an application tab and scanning the little window thumbnails that appear is a waste of space and time and looking up at the display as your windows cycle in and out of focus while you move your mouse over the tabs is also a waste of space. Especially if you have multiple screens like I do because if one of the windows you want is not on your main display it doesn't come in to focus on your main display, it comes in to focus on another display that may not be in your direct vision requiring you to move your head.

This isn't a problem for Expose because no matter where your windows are they correlate in the centre and fill up your entire main display making it much easier to select the window you want and in less time.

I use Peek on a 2-monitor setup all day and I don't have to move my head to notice that the Window is on a different screen. It may be just the way my monitors are placed. As I said, both ways are not particularly better than the other. In Apple's case, they have some ****ed up multi-monitor support and what you say might be accidental benefit than something intentional.

Vice

Why?

I use Peek on a 2-monitor setup all day and I don't have to move my head to notice that the Window is on a different screen. It may be just the way my monitors are placed. As I said, both ways are not particularly better than the other. In Apple's case, they have some ****ed up multi-monitor support and what you say might be accidental benefit than something intentional.

I have three 30" 2560x1600 displays on my desktop system. Turning ones head is kind of a requirement. Expose works great on such a setup, Aero Peek? Doesn't work well at all and is a total waste of time even trying to use it.

I actually use Microsofts intellimouse software to get Expose on Windows because Peek is so worthless even they developed a direct Expose clone.

BajiRav

I have three 30" 2560x1600 displays on my desktop system. Turning ones head is kind of a requirement. Expose works great on such a setup, Aero Peek? Doesn't work well at all and is a total waste of time even trying to use it.

I actually use Microsofts intellimouse software to get Expose on Windows because Peek is so worthless even they developed a direct Expose clone.

That expose thing predates Peek. IIRC it's from Vista era. I don't know why you want to get into stupid who-copie-who stuff. :/

Won't have to move your head if the Window is on another screen in the end anyway?

I will just stop at saying that Expose is not particularly better IMHO. I think I have repeated that one last time now. You can now continue with regularly scheduled program.

DeadEndAccount
Yeah, that's a huge advantage with Microsoft not being hardware vendor (let's hope Asus, Lenovo, et al put out some good tablets and keep it that way). They go out of their way to support backwards compatibility, even when it's to their detriment.

Well software and hardware compatibility are two different things - when Microsoft have broken compatibility such as moving from XPDM to WDDM it was for good reason AND at the very least we've seen Intel provide WDDM 1.1 drivers for the Intel x3100 GPUs where as Apple has abandoned them entirely. *deep breath* End of the day I've enjoyed my decade with Apple but it appears that there are greener pastures with the improved direction Microsoft is heading it - and yes, I do like Windows 8 and Metro.

They're sitting on $100billion in cash. They should give something back to the users that made them so damn rich.

Or at the very least hire another 10000 programmers to fix up long standing bugs that annoy developers and end users.

I thought Word 2004 was definitely better than Word 2003, partly because it also included a lot of features of OneNote as well, while in Office 2003 they were two separate programs.

Since Word 2007 though, I haven't been able to stand 2008 or 2011 because with the mandatory menu bar at the top, there's no way to do the ribbon well, so the UI is completely disjointed.

I'm ok with the lay out - what I am annoyed with is its failure to properly read the system settings - it's a Windows application that has been ported and castrated to the point that the only redeeming feature is the reasonably good compatibility with Office for Windows.

Vice

That expose thing predates Peek. IIRC it's from Vista era. I don't know why you want to get into stupid who-copie-who stuff. :/

Won't have to move your head if the Window is on another screen in the end anyway?

I will just stop at saying that Expose is not particularly better IMHO. I think I have repeated that one last time now. You can now continue with regularly scheduled program.

I wasn't getting in to a stupid who copied who thing. I want Windows to have Expose, Microsoft wants Windows to have Expose too that's why they added it to their Retail Mouse software package. I don't care who came up with it, I just want the best system and Expose is the best. Aero Peek is useless to anyone that does serious work on their system. It doesn't use the screens real-estate properly. You either get tiny thumbnails above the task bar that you can look at which are so tiny they are useless or you get the window you have your mouse hovered over highlighted but here is the thing, the task bar is on the centre display but your window you're highlighting may be on another display so you have to become some kind of psychic to move your mouse along thumbnails you can no longer see because your head is pointed at a completely different display looking at which active window just appeared.

The whole design is poor and Expose is much better. All the windows for your app fly out to your main display and you can quickly just click on the one you want. What could be simpler? Uses the whole screen, all the window details are easily discernible. It's so good even Microsoft wrote a version and I'm happy that they did.

• Like 1
Brandon H

I wasn't getting in to a stupid who copied who thing. I want Windows to have Expose, Microsoft wants Windows to have Expose too that's why they added it to their Retail Mouse software package. I don't care who came up with it, I just want the best system and Expose is the best. Aero Peek is useless to anyone that does serious work on their system. It doesn't use the screens real-estate properly. You either get tiny thumbnails above the task bar that you can look at which are so tiny they are useless or you get the window you have your mouse hovered over highlighted but here is the thing, the task bar is on the centre display but your window you're highlighting may be on another display so you have to become some kind of psychic to move your mouse along thumbnails you can no longer see because your head is pointed at a completely different display looking at which active window just appeared.

The whole design is poor and Expose is much better. All the windows for your app fly out to your main display and you can quickly just click on the one you want. What could be simpler? Uses the whole screen, all the window details are easily discernible. It's so good even Microsoft wrote a version and I'm happy that they did.

isn't that one of the main reasons MS is finally adding multi-monitor taskbar support?
Vice

isn't that one of the main reasons MS is finally adding multi-monitor taskbar support?

If it's anything like it has been in the consumer previews then the taskbar is mirrored to all displays. Basically the task bar you have on your middle display is identical to the task bar you get on your other two displays. I don't really think that is better, in my opinion each display should have its own task bar showing only the windows that are on that display. Maybe that is how it will end up in the end when Windows 8 ships but I doubt I'll be upgrading to Win 8 anyway due to Metro. I'm quite satisfied with just having Microsofts version of Expose on Windows 7 to be honest.

Brandon H

If it's anything like it has been in the consumer previews then the taskbar is mirrored to all displays. Basically the task bar you have on your middle display is identical to the task bar you get on your other two displays. I don't really think that is better, in my opinion each display should have its own task bar showing only the windows that are on that display. Maybe that is how it will end up in the end when Windows 8 ships but I doubt I'll be upgrading to Win 8 anyway due to Metro. I'm quite satisfied with just having Microsofts version of Expose on Windows 7 to be honest.

not from what i've seen in the RP, they really refined the multi-monitor stuff between the CP and RP builds

i'm pretty sure each taskbar acts as its own now

BajiRav

You should really read up on things before jumping to conclusion...

Vice

You should really read up on things before jumping to conclusion...

I wasn't jumping to conclusions. The last version of Windows 8 that I used with multiple monitors was the Consumer Preview and it had a mirrored task bar. I clearly stated in my message Consumer Preview not Release Preview.

not from what i've seen in the RP, they really refined the multi-monitor stuff between the CP and RP builds

i'm pretty sure each taskbar acts as its own now

Thank you for reading my message and letting me know about the RP. Unlike some people (BajiRav)

Active.

To me, the original implementation of Expos? in 2003 was a revelation ? an absolute stroke of genius. I'm not fully onboard with what they did to it in Snow Leopard (make all windows be the same size) and Lion (arrange windows in groups of stacks), but both the ungrouping of windows as well as windows retaining their size relative to each other seem to be back, so that's a welcome improvement.

• Like 1
Vice

To me, the original implementation of Expos? in 2003 was a revelation ? an absolute stroke of genius. I'm not fully onboard with what they did to it in Snow Leopard (make all windows be the same size) and Lion (arrange windows in groups of stacks), but both the ungrouping of windows as well as windows retaining their size relative to each other seem to be back, so that's a welcome improvement.

Under Mountain Lion it feels a lot like how it did on Panther. Definitely an improvement over the Mission Control of Lion. :)

• Like 2
BajiRav

I wasn't jumping to conclusions. The last version of Windows 8 that I used with multiple monitors was the Consumer Preview and it had a mirrored task bar. I clearly stated in my message Consumer Preview not Release Preview.

Thank you for reading my message and letting me know about the RP. Unlike some people (BajiRav)

When you are criticizing something (good or bad), the onus is on you to keep updated especially for an ever changing pre-release OS. I meant you to read up on the latest changes to multi-monitor support and should have avoided the jumping part of my past though. That's my bad.

migo

You're a fringe case. I have no comment on using 3 screens, but most people don't have more than 1, and most people have small screens as they have netbooks and laptops. For a single screen inside 15", Peek is far more useful than Expose.

migo

Under Mountain Lion it feels a lot like how it did on Panther. Definitely an improvement over the Mission Control of Lion. :)

That's good news. I can see some advantages to the Lion method, particularly if every app supports the full screen API, but since most apps still don't, the (Snow) Leopard system worked better. Windows 8 is going to have a similar problem until most apps people use are Metro.

Vice

You're a fringe case. I have no comment on using 3 screens, but most people don't have more than 1, and most people have small screens as they have netbooks and laptops. For a single screen inside 15", Peek is far more useful than Expose.

I disagree with that because Expose uses whatever size screen you have and it allows you to specify either all the open application windows or only windows for the app that has focus. And it again fills the whole screen so no matter what size screen you got you're going to have the expose windows larger than the little thumbnail that Aero Peek offers at the bottom of the task bar and you don't need to waste time going through all the thumbnails waiting for the window you want to appear either.

And really if you're using a teeny-tiny screen and have hundreds of windows open maybe it's time for an upgrade to a big boy computer.

I've had a 12" iBook and a 15" Powerbook and I currently have a 17" MacBook Pro. All have run Expose brilliantly and I would rather have Expose on that 12" iBook than Aero Peek.

migo

If you've got a small screen and lots of apps open, there isn't enough screen size (particularly with only WXGA resolution) to display any meaningful differences between several text documents. I do proof-reading and editing. Expose fails miserably for that. It works well enough for other purposes, but for multiple text heavy documents on a single, small screen it's pants. And once you go to a large screen, you can have multiple documents side by side, so there's no reason to swap between windows.

Vice

If you've got a small screen and lots of apps open, there isn't enough screen size (particularly with only WXGA resolution) to display any meaningful differences between several text documents. I do proof-reading and editing. Expose fails miserably for that. It works well enough for other purposes, but for multiple text heavy documents on a single, small screen it's pants. And once you go to a large screen, you can have multiple documents side by side, so there's no reason to swap between windows.

I don't do proof reading but how does Aero Peek help? Aren't you just reading the buttons on the task bar or the text at the bottom of the thumbnails when you enact Aero Peek? - Cause App-specific Expose lists the window names below the window so you could read which text document is which if they all look the same. I don't really understand how Aero Peek would solve this issue as all those thumbnails would look similar if all your windows are just walls of text. Have you considered using a reading app with tabs like how a web browser handles pages? That might help your workflow.

.Neo

They got rich because people exchange money for their products. Not because of charity.

PyX

They lowered the value of their software to ridiculously cheap prices. OS X, Final Cut X, Motion, Compressor, Aperture, GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb? and you?re not forced to buy them together either. In my book, this is the equivalent of giving us something back.

That leaves me wonder what they?re going to do with all their money though. Can?t keep it all forever. The new Spaceship won?t be enough to waste it all.

• Like 1
.Neo

migo is complaining for the sake of complaining. Expecting Apple to keep supporting Rosetta just for a handful of PPC-only installers which can be installed relatively easily through Terminal isn't reasonable or realistic.

BoDEAN

Whether it's pirated or not doesn't change the fact that, for an end-user, there's not much to write home about. I know I'll be buying it, but only because I can't install Snow leopard on my mac, and I want the old expose back.

Agree'ed. Dont need the INTERNET POLICE in here....sigh