Do You Like Office 2013? Thoughts on Preview

Security is a potential concern. I know Microsoft have heavily invested into making their products secure - but an element of risk remains. Can you guarantee me full security of my documents on SkyDrive? Or can Microsoft for that matter?

Microsoft has vastly reduced the need for - or use of - add-ins in conjunction with at least their own products or services - Exchange ActiveSync, which is used by Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, and (of course) Outlook.com, is supported *directly* by Outlook 2013; no add-in is needed. The biggest reason *individual users* want security for cloud storage is due to official (government) snoopery (or the fear thereof).

Can anyone sign into it? i click the sign in box, it pops up and has me choose personal or school or whatever, i click personal, and then the box goes away and never lets me sign in. :|

Anyone else having this problem?

its fine if we arent supposed to sign in, but if thats the case i wish it'd quit telling me to sign into to get the full office experience.

I used to be signed in but then a message bar appeared telling me that it needed a password to sync my notebook in onenote, so I signed out. Now I have the exact same problem as you.

:(

• 1 month later...

Not overawed with the graphic on default but shall try different option on another machine. Overall as far as functionality goes seems quite impressive as far as I can gather. However, as I have mentioned elsewhere having a problem with Outlook atm as it keeps crashing when I try to send an email.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm really confused by MS's terminology on this one. What is this 'new' ActiveSync supposed to do? I thought that was just the Outlook Connector pack being baked in or is this related to Exch2013 features? (Replacing RPC proxy?)

That is because Hotmail (and Outlook.com) use a *modified* version of Exchange (it's not a straight Exchange implementation like that used by business) called Exchange ActiveSync - hence the Hotmail Connector is not needed with Outlook365 2.0 beta/Outlook 2013 beta - even in x64 (yay).

Hence I need no plug-ins at all.

Standard Exchange support is still there - hence previous versions of Outlook should upgrade rather painlessly.

Here's the nice factor (if you're new to Outlook with 2013) - Outlook has THE slickest POP3 and IMAP support I have seen; you don't even have to tell it if it's one OR the other. (Even that unusual version of IMAP4 with the custom port settings that GMail uses is picked up and auto-configured by default - since Outlook 2010. Truly no-hands POP3/IMAP4 configuratiion - and it's the default.) The only hitch is setting up Exchange ActiveSync (Hotmail and Outlook.com), and that's because you have to enter the name of the EAS server (same server is used for both, fortunately - m.hotmail.com) - other than that quibble, it's no problem dealing with Hotmail or Outlook.com, either.

I love the new office 2013. I just wish you can change the background color... LOL...

other then that way more snappy then openoffice and I like the ribbon UI, the loading time is very quick!

It works very well with hotmail and the exchange activesync is a good idea of hotmail to implement that.