Thor 2: The Dark World

cgv8G.jpg

Stuntman James Grogan (Snow White and the Huntsman) has let it slip already a month ago that they are training to be elves for the Thor 2 film. Now it's getting spread.

As the title "The Dark World" reveald on SDCC this year already points to the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim this seems to be very likely now.

However what we don?t know is which intergalactic foe or group of foes The Mighty Thor will be aiming his hammer at. Thanks to a brief chat with Hollywood stuntman James Grogan, we may have our answer. Whilst discussing the importance of acting chops in stunt work, Grogan related the experience to a certain Marvel film that he?s currently training for. ?The other day for example, this is quite random but I was working on Thor 2,? he explains, ?I had a load of stunt guys in and the director came in and he said ?Look, we want you all to be elves,? and I was like ?What the hell is an elf anyway?? and he said ?I want you all to walk around like these supernatural animals,? honestly it was the most ridiculous thing ever but you just have to not be self aware and get on with it.?

Since the title is Thor: The Dark World it's pretty safe to assume that he is referring to the dark elves. Which would then lead us to believe that their leader, Malekith the Accursed, is one of the main villains. Now we already know that Tom Hiddleston is returning as Loki, and there is a popular story that links him with Malekith. In the comic book Thor #344 Loki and Malekith formed an alliance in order to secure the Casket of Ancient Winters. Perhaps they will use this story arc for the sequel, or perhaps not.

Info about the Dark Elves, Malekith and the possible story arch of The Casket of Ancient Winters

Dark Elves -

The Dark Elves are ruled over by Malekith the Accursed, and the most powerful amongst their ranks was Algrim the Strong. However, Algrim was betrayed by Malekith in a bid to kill Thor. Algrim was dropped into lava and though he survived, he was critically wounded. The Beyonder transformed Algrim into the monstrous Kurse, who seemingly kills Malekith for the betrayal. Years later, Malekith reveals that he survived, and he sets forth an ultimately unsuccessful plot for Hercules to kill Alflyse, the Dark Elf Queen of the Eastern Spires.

The trio of Bitterhand, Wormwood, and Grendell serve Malekith loyally and have attempted to destroy Thor on several occasions, including once while Mjolnir was being reforged

Malekith -

Malekith the Accursed ruled the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim. Malekith mastered sorcery, making him a formidable ally to the other enemies of Asgard. He formed an alliance with the god of mischief Loki on behalf of Surtur. Not long after that agreement, he used a special food provided to him by Hela. The food contained some sort of magic, which gave him control of the humans of Earth. While continuing his quest, he took the life of Eric Willis, guardian of the Casket of Ancient Winters. Before his death Willis conveyed the Casket's location to Loki. Not willing to give up his quest, Malekith Kidnapped the Asgardian Lorelei in order to gain control of the god of Thunder. Thor discovered that he had been tricked into falling for a stack of wood, and became enraged as he learned that the real Lorelei was being held captive by Malekith. Lorelei was eventually freed but, Thor was forced to battle Algrim the Strong. Malekith attempted to destroy both combatants by plunging them into a pit of molten magma; subsequently Malekith retrieved the Casket of Ancient Winters, from the being known as Jagrfelm. Shortly after Jagrfelm's death, Malekith released its power upon Asgard in his quest to rule all nine worlds.

The Casket of Ancient Winters -

An Asgardian relic and the greatest weapon of Malekith the Accursed. When opened, it can reproduce the infinite icy cold of Niflheim. Later entrusted to the care of Edwin Jarvis, butler to the Avengers, by Thor. Causes its holder to grow younger gradually.- Wiki

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Eccleston has been attached to the Thor sequel.

The former Doctor Who actor is in final negotiations to play a villain in the upcoming sequel, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Eccleston will star as the ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim if a deal is concluded.

The Thor sequel, to be directed by Alan Taylor, is officially titled Thor: The Dark World and features the original cast.

The first film was directed by Sir Kenneth Branagh, who recently appeared in the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony playing 19th century engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Eccleston has previously appeared in movies including G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, 28 Days Later and television series Heroes.

He most recently played Creon in the National Theatre's take on the Ancient Greek tragedy Antigone, which transferred the play's setting to the 1970s.

[x]

• 2 weeks later...
Alice Krige, the Borg Queen herself (well, one of them anyway), reportedly revealed that she has a small, potentially unrecognizable role in the film, potentially much like Colm Feore's turn as Laufey the King of the Frost Giants in the first movie. Since Christopher Eccleston is thought to be playing Malekith the Accursed (although I'm not actually sure that's 100% confirmed just yet) and a stuntman mentioned that he was doing prep work to play one of the Dark Elves, the current speculation is that Krige would play Alflyse, the queen of the Dark Elves and the Svartalfheim realm. Because really, what else is Alice Krige going to play but an evil queen of some sort? That's just what she does.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=65600

Deadline reports that Kat Dennings is indeed returning for Thor: The Dark World. Details are thin, but apparently her role of Darcy Lewis has been expanded for the follow-up opposite Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth. I thought Dennings? comic relief was spot-on in Thor, so this comes as welcome news for the follow-up. Production is set to begin imminently with director Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) at the helm, Christopher Eccelston as the new baddie, and Tom Hiddleston returning as that pesky Loki.

http://collider.com/thor-2-kat-dennings-knight-of-cups-joel-kinnaman/190610/

Mr. Eko is heading to Asgard. Lost star Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje has joined the cast of the sequel Thor: The Dark World as one of the film?s villains. Christopher Eccelston is already set to play the film?s primary baddie, Malekith the Accursed, the ruler of the Dark Elves, and Tom Hiddleston is also set to return as the meddlesome Loki. Now Variety reports that Akinnuoye-Agbaje will be playing Algrim the Strong, a character from the comics who was the most powerful among the Dark Elves.

Akinnuoye-Agbaje is best known for playing Mr. Eko on ABC?s Lost. The fan-favorite character only lasted a short while, as the actor was unhappy with having to move to Hawaii for the production and asked to be written off the show.

http://collider.com/thor-2-sequel-adewale-akinnuoye-agbaje/190820/

VaEd8.jpg

ZyHfS.jpg

Near the end of August, a filming sight in Bourne Wood, England was announced for the anticipated Marvel sequel, Thor: The Dark World. And frequently used as a location for filming movies, the woodland areas is said to establish a ?fictional village set in another realm,? in the film, where a battle between two kingdoms will ensue.

While set preparations began August 6, a Twitter user has shared photos showcasing the progress of the set's construction from then up until yesterday. Although nothing too revealing yet, check out the photos displaying a bit of the fictional village's architecture.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to say, I absolutely love the fact people still make film sets. I know that might sound crazy, but with so much damn CGI these days, and whole entire films using it to create the atmosphere and imagery, making sets is slowly becoming a lost art. So just love seeing pictures of an actual set.

I just have to say, I absolutely love the fact people still make film sets. I know that might sound crazy, but with so much damn CGI these days, and whole entire films using it to create the atmosphere and imagery, making sets is slowly becoming a lost art. So just love seeing pictures of an actual set.

If you havent done so already, check out some of the Hobbit videos on Youtube. The last couple of production diary videos really showed some of the film sets and they were impressive.

Someone who doesn't want to move away from family for an extended period of time? Someone who feels that that may be a bit excessive for a 4-6 month movie shoot or whatever? I don't know. Also, maybe someone who doesn't like living on an island that's literally a top of a Volcano? :D

I know, it's just awesome. It brings so much to a film to build sets.