Wii U

Sorry about the title, couldn't fit it all on :p

And when I posted it it cut off my "d" from Announced D:

Many people, including myself, are still very sceptical with the Wii U regarding what it can really do and the unique control methods that Nintendo has brought to the table. Indeed, Nintendo is always one to innovate the industry, just like it did with the Wii?s motion control and the DS? touch screen capabilities, but the Wii U is something different ? once again.

One big ?controversial? topic right now is about the graphical capabilities of the system. It will have an AMD based GPU and an IBM PowerPC CPU, and for the first time ever for Nintendo the console will support 1080p. But is there greater power in this system than what is currently available in the PS3 and 360, using technology that is now going on 6 years old?

According to my source, whom I will keep anonymous, who has actually had play time with the Wii U, yes it is. I have spoken with him many times previously and he told me, and even showed me drawings, of the 3DS XL way before it was announced and Nintendo were still prototyping it a year ago (yes, so soon after launch as some of you may be surprised to hear). At launch, of course, we won?t expect to see the best out of the system because developers can?t just get the max out of a system that they have had for little under 2 years; just look at the difference between Uncharted: Drake?s Fortune (2007) and Uncharted 3 (2011). But the 2 titles that he has seen have been superb, he said, and they are both multiplatform games. The Wii U will boast a higher texture resolution that what we will see in these games compared to the PS3 and 360 versions, making it look much better.

Continue reading

Thoughts?

It was known from the beginning, nothing new here. Just like the Wii was just a bit more powerful than the last generation.

Personally I think it will do fine, Nintendo has already proven they don't need cutting edge graphics

It was known from the beginning, nothing new here. Just like the Wii was just a bit more powerful than the last generation.

Personally I think it will do fine, Nintendo has already proven they don't need cutting edge graphics

yep they have siad that many times but with the Wii U packing much newer GPU and CPU with greatly more power then the 6/7 year old chips in the current 360 and PS3 it has already been siad by developer including Gearbox that the Wii U is far more powerful Gearbox is doing Aliens colonial marines and has stated the Wii U version is without a doubt the Top tier version course next to PC it just loo ks stunning so Good developers are using the hardware while sloppy crappy Developers are being lazy and making poor programming choices to make ther games look worse then the 360 or Ps3

wii u is a next generation leap tablet controller new graphics that are going to reaching new limits in a year.if sony or microsoft copys wii u nintendo should sue them

3ds xl will be famous due to smash bros on a big screen

wii u is a next generation leap tablet controller new graphics that are going to reaching new limits in a year.if sony or microsoft copys wii u nintendo should sue them

3ds xl will be famous due to smash bros on a big screen

you do know the Wii U gamepad does not render any of the systems graphics or gameplay right that it is just a input receiver that detects screen pressure and presses and stuff but that the console the Wii U console itself is the one powering it. Alo the Wii U GP is not a Tablet as it needs the main system to work

you do know the Wii U gamepad does not render any of the systems graphics or gameplay right that it is just a input receiver that detects screen pressure and presses and stuff but that the console the Wii U console itself is the one powering it. Alo the Wii U GP is not a Tablet as it needs the main system to work

If he doesn't, then he'll be shocked to see that video of someone playing Left 4 Dead on the Vita hahahah. :laugh:

Just because the Wii U supports 1080p doesn't mean we're going to see most games utilising it. The current generation of consoles struggle to even maintain 720p, yet 1080p has more than twice as many pixels. I mean even the PS3 has games that run at 1080p but they are only basic games with very low polygon counts.

Nintendo has again gone for the casual / kiddie market with an underpowered console. It's betting everything on asymmetric gaming taking off. I think they're going to struggle with the core market yet again, as major developers have already warned that they're sceptical of bringing mature titles to the Wii U.

Nintendo has again gone for the casual / kiddie market with an underpowered console.. I think they're going to struggle with the core market yet again, as major developers have already warned that they're sceptical of bringing mature titles to the Wii U.

They've done nothing of the sort - they've been specifically aiming for the core market and emphasising their core titles, and the majority of games they showed off at E3 were aimed at core gamers (and of course, Nintendo themselves only internally develop a small handful of games for casual markets, and nearly none specifically for kids)

Just because the Wii U supports 1080p doesn't mean we're going to see most games utilising it. The current generation of consoles struggle to even maintain 720p, yet 1080p has more than twice as many pixels. I mean even the PS3 has games that run at 1080p but they are only basic games with very low polygon counts.

Nintendo has again gone for the casual / kiddie market with an underpowered console. It's betting everything on asymmetric gaming taking off. I think they're going to struggle with the core market yet again, as major developers have already warned that they're sceptical of bringing mature titles to the Wii U.

ok so you assume that the Wii U having newer hardware that is well 5 to 7 years newer that it wont do 10880p without issues how do you figure this cause you do realize the Wii U is not using the same generations parts as the Ps3 or 360 right that it is not just using the exact chips and that Nintendo is not leaching off the 360 assembly line and grabbing parts at random

for some reason i think you assume all Nintendo did was go to IBM and AMD say we want Xbox 360 chips in are new system the same chips TY

ok so you assume that the Wii U having newer hardware that is well 5 to 7 years newer that it wont do 10880p without issues how do you figure this cause you do realize the Wii U is not using the same generations parts as the Ps3 or 360 right that it is not just using the exact chips and that Nintendo is not leaching off the 360 assembly line and grabbing parts at random

for some reason i think you assume all Nintendo did was go to IBM and AMD say we want Xbox 360 chips in are new system the same chips TY

Do keep in mind that although it's using newer, more powerfu chips - it also has to render two displays - the HD TV and the controller pad screen, which is considerably taxing. Of course that varies with what the developers are actually doing with the secondary screen, but anyone who's rendering significant visuals to it are probably going to sacrifice resolution or framerate or effects on the main screen.

Do keep in mind that although it's using newer, more powerfu chips - it also has to render two displays - the HD TV and the controller pad screen, which is considerably taxing. Of course that varies with what the developers are actually doing with the secondary screen, but anyone who's rendering significant visuals to it are probably going to sacrifice resolution or framerate or effects on the main screen.

Or those games will be the games that don't use the GamePad and use the Pro controller .. ala Call of Duty .. etc.. although, I could see them having the option to use the GamePad for a slight graphical hit.

True but the 2nd screen is Maby about the resolution of the current Phones so sun HD resolutions but this is one of the points i have tried to make before is this is something the 360 nor PS3 could pull off and that is stream video to a and a interactive screen

They've done nothing of the sort - they've been specifically aiming for the core market and emphasising their core titles, and the majority of games they showed off at E3 were aimed at core gamers (and of course, Nintendo themselves only internally develop a small handful of games for casual markets, and nearly none specifically for kids)

They made similar claims for the Gamecube and Wii and yet you still see more casual games than core games and developers/publishers are still wary. Crytek has said that even though the console is as powerful as the X360 they don't see a business case for bringing Crysis 3 to Wii U. Not only that but core games are typically targeted at the most powerful consoles, as they tend to push against the technological barriers. Nintendo has always been very bad at attracting third-party developers and without them the Wii U simply won't appeal to core gamers.

That was virtually gibberish but from what I can tell you're making the assumption that because some is newer it must therefore be more powerful, when that is simply not the case. Nintendo is not going for top-of-the-line parts but is looking to make a relatively cheap console, in much the same way it did with the original Wii. Although Nintendo claims the Wii U is more powerful than current consoles developers have been much less optimistic, with most claiming it is off similar power to current consoles and possibly slightly higher. Given that current consoles are incredibly dated and struggling to achieve 720p I simply don't expect to see core games like Crysis 3 running at 1080p on the Wii U. Heck, Epic is actually concerned that the next console from Microsoft might not be ideal for Unreal Engine 4.

• 3 months later...

Sorry i done research on the wii u and it will be using a radeon 5000 hd gpu from the supercomputer watison but it been towed down but custom made which and radoen 5000 hd compared with other consoles will give better graphics than ps3

The gamepad wii u uses displays the games from the wii u. They use wireless to transfer data. Due to the wii u being stronger than ps3/xbox 360. The gamepad can produce graphics equal or inferior to the wii u

The gamepad wii u uses displays the games from the wii u. They use wireless to transfer data. Due to the wii u being stronger than ps3/xbox 360. The gamepad can produce graphics equal or inferior to the wii u

I think the Wii U will leap ahead of the xbox and ps3 (in terms of graphically ability) then Xbox Next / PS4 will leap in front of it.

However, not sure selling "2k/4k" graphics will be as strong selling as Standard Def -> High Def was.

Also Wii U retains BC with Wii games (not gamecube) and most of the accessories, while Xbox Next / PS4 will be ARM cpu based and may have no BC.

Can't predict the next gen winner or predict Nintendo's demise at this stage of the game, will see how nintendo does.

From a pure sales figures, and who earned the most $$$, Wii won this generation. Not saying the PS3/Xbox360 weren't superior in terms of graphics, that's a no brainer.

Also Wii U retains BC with Wii games (not gamecube) and most of the accessories, while Xbox Next / PS4 will be ARM cpu based and may have no BC.

From the leaked specs, the next Xbox was meant to have both a normal processor from gaming and a separate ARM processor for it's application platform, so they *might* be able to keep backwards compatibility, though unlikely. Of course, there's no way in heck either of them would go for ARM as their main processors - they're far too weak in general for what are expected to be pretty powerful machines

However with Sony's recent purchase of Gaikai, that opens up a different potential avenue for them - they can just let you stream older PS3, PS2 & PS1 games from their servers, and just not even have to worry about properly implementing b/c. It's even something Microsoft has considered somewhat (again, the leaked Xbox plans showed them intending on cloud gaming at some point in 2014, and they certainly have th server infrastructure for it)

I'm not particularly worried about how Nintendo will do with the power of their machines, their first party studios at least have great artistry, and the lowered development costs compared to projected PS4 / XB3 will certainly help sway some projects in their direction.

Ahahahahahahaha!

That's what the rumor's been lately.

If Ps3 / Xbox360 do have BC, then that make them stronger against Nintendo.

True but the 2nd screen is Maby about the resolution of the current Phones so sun HD resolutions but this is one of the points i have tried to make before is this is something the 360 nor PS3 could pull off and that is stream video to a and a interactive screen

30 can't stream rendered interactive video to an interactive screen.

Funny,I have this memory of explaining smart glass to you about 5-10 times...

I think the Wii U will leap ahead of the xbox and ps3 (in terms of graphically ability) then Xbox Next / PS4 will leap in front of it.

However, not sure selling "2k/4k" graphics will be as strong selling as Standard Def -> High Def was.

Can't predict the next gen winner or predict Nintendo's demise at this stage of the game, will see how nintendo does.

From a pure sales figures, and who earned the most $$$, Wii won this generation. Not saying the PS3/Xbox360 weren't superior in terms of graphics, that's a no brainer.

Graphics wise I expect the Wii U will somewhere ahead of current gen, not greatly so due to the extra power required for 1080. If you say the ps4 and 720 is 2 on a scale where current gen is 1, the Wii U would probably place at 1.3-1.4

a

30 can't stream rendered interactive video to an interactive screen.

Funny,I have this memory of explaining smart glass to you about 5-10 times...

Forgive me I'm not quite sure what you're saying here - you're not saying the 360 can render and stream a video feed in real time to a companion device using Smartglass API's are you? Because it can't.

Here is some good read articles the Wii U is even smaller then the Wii

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/0 Iawata ask :

Iwata

Today, I'm going to ask about the Wii U GamePad controller. Once it's done, it will only seem natural that it runs like a charm, but a lot of people put it through a process of trial-and-error to make it that way. Thank you for your time today, everyone. Good info 4 page discussion

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/console/0/0

Today begins a series in which I would like to ask about how the Wii U hardware was made. Thank you for coming today.