Shootings at Batman Premiere

Was listening to the news broadcast here at work and they mentioned how Bane uses a gas mask and that the theater was handing out promotional items. I swear, the media has a hard-on for wanting answers within an hour of an incident. This in no way has anything to do with Batman or midnight movies. But you know...YOU KNOW...what's going to happen. Either midnight premiers will tone down big time or go away altogether, or we will have scanners at theater entrances. Just grinds my gears.

This is truly a horrific incident and I feel for those innocent. Just ain't right. Although I don't understand why you take your 6-month old or even a 9-year old to a midnight movie...I digress.

Yeah.. only you don't have to make it easier for them. Guns should not be allowed to purchase as freely as they are in this country. It would have been much more difficult for them to get guns from a 3rd party. First you need to know people like that, it's not as easy as walking into Walmart and getting a gun. Not to mention it's easier for buy a rifle or a shotgun than it is to buy a handgun.

Let's not turn this in to "that" thread. If you want to talk gun control just make a new thread.

• Like 1

Let's not turn this in to "that" thread. If you want to talk gun control just make a new thread.

Don't want to start arguing about that. Just answering his comment. The real question is how many tragedies we have to have like this to do something about it.

But I won't get into that. This is just horrific. Still can't believe it.

First question I have is how did he 'kick in' the emergency exit? Those open out. Should be impossible to get through that way. Unless he did something earlier (like cover the lock mechanism) to get in that way.

First question I have is how did he 'kick in' the emergency exit? Those open out. Should be impossible to get through that way. Unless he did something earlier (like cover the lock mechanism) to get in that way.

There are reports that he had one of the weapons stashed in the theater somewhere so apparently he had been in and staged it ahead of time.

Yeah.. only you don't have to make it easier for them. Guns should not be allowed to purchase as freely as they are in this country. It would have been much more difficult for them to get guns from a 3rd party. First you need to know people like that, it's not as easy as walking into Walmart and getting a gun. Not to mention it's easier for buy a rifle or a shotgun than it is to buy a handgun.

How easy it is to acquire a weapon is an entirely different matter. All I was saying is: Someone who plans a gun rampage as thoroughly as the guy in Denver will find ways to get the necessary equipment, regardless of the local gun laws.

Let's not take the thread too far off-topic though.

Was listening to the news broadcast here at work and they mentioned how Bane uses a gas mask and that the theater was handing out promotional items. I swear, the media has a hard-on for wanting answers within an hour of an incident. This in no way has anything to do with Batman or midnight movies. But you know...YOU KNOW...what's going to happen. Either midnight premiers will tone down big time or go away altogether, or we will have scanners at theater entrances. Just grinds my gears.

This is truly a horrific incident and I feel for those innocent. Just ain't right. Although I don't understand why you take your 6-month old or even a 9-year old to a midnight movie...I digress.

Or no more costumes in the theatres, since it makes it easier to hide things / confuse people. :/

I'm kinda surprised none of the theatre patrons had a gun on them... Does Denver have a carry law?

They do, but the suspect was wearing body armor and it was in a dark theater. I'm not sure how much could have been done.

I'm kinda surprised none of the theatre patrons had a gun on them... Does Denver have a carry law?

Most states with carry licensing laws have exclusion zones, and theaters & other large venues are usually on the list. So much for that, criminals don't give a rip - which is why Michigan is reconsidering them for those with Advanced Level licenses. Most certainly it would have been bneficial if someone could have plugged him early on.

• Like 1

Freaking crazy. I was there for business last year, and it wasn't the greatest town...

Or no more costumes in the theatres, since it makes it easier to hide things / confuse people. :/

Wouldn't have mattered. He wasn't in the crowd. He came in through the exit, so even if everyone else had been wearing the same exact outfit, wouldn't have made a difference.

ABC News (just heard it on the TV)is reporting the suspect is named James Holmes, from Aurora and that the FBi is currently searching his car left in the parking lot, and checking his apartment. They also stated that when the police spoke with his mother (in California) she did not seem surprised that he had done this.

Apparently he was on a site called 9gag and said he was going to do this because someone ruined the ending of the movie, Then a bunch of people egged him on and gave him advice etc.

Wouldn't have mattered. He wasn't in the crowd. He came in through the exit, so even if everyone else had been wearing the same exact outfit, wouldn't have made a difference.

My point was more that if someone saw this guy walking up through the parking lot, they might not have given it a second thought and assumed he was in costume.

Apparently he was on a site called 9gag and said he was going to do this because someone ruined the ending of the movie, Then a bunch of people egged him on and gave him advice etc.

If true that's f***ed up. Source?

WTF was that on the live news report from the police chief? About the 15th person to have died was very angry about being down voted on Americas Got Talent?

That sounds like this guy Captain Janks who is a long time prank caller who does it to get on Howard Stern show. he pretends to be police chiefs, etc., then slips in a reference to Stern. He says he does it to show just how unreliable the news is at times, all he has to do is call the station, say he is some important person related to the event, and they let him on air. Just comes off as disrespectful though more often then not.

I am just curious, how are you so convinced of this fact? how do know for certain this guy did not have some crazy obsession with the batman movies, or the character Bane, etc. Just as the media, you do not know. So to be so adamant about the fact is almost as bad as them alluding to the fact it was to do with the movies. Both sides need to wait to hear the actual facts, not just speculation.

Truly a tragic event, and what a ****ing coward in every sense of the word.

Death toll rolled back to 12.

News said his mother wasn't surprised ?!?

If he was this whacked before the incident that says something about the sorry state of our involuntary psychiatric committal laws - which were drastically weakened in the late 70's.