• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Shootings at Batman Premiere

Colin McGregor    569

I know the movie sucked compared to the other two but thats no reason to shoot everyone.

• Like 1

KingCracker    1,501

.40 180g FMJ's will penetrate level 1 body armor, and level 2A with a hot load, which I guess is an argument for Dutch loading (alternating FMJ and JHP in the mag.)

Depends on what level he was wearing.

episode    630

No idea, since finding those images I've seen some people say it was 4chan trying to make 9gag look bad, and others say it was real post(s) that have been removed.

I can't find them or any cache. Definitely not real, but no idea who created them.

cacoe    568

I'll do what I can ...that's far better of a chance than what those people had if even to draw fire to me and away from some kids.

Until he started shooting, people thought it was a stunt/prank. Would you have thought differently? It could have been a stunt/prank. So what's to say that your little gun would have been any help at all? in the panic of the crowd shuffling to get out, you could have even hurt someone else who otherwise wouldn't have been injured. If it was a prank, you would have just murdered someone!

spacer    988

Anyone else curious why parents who were at this theater thought it was ok to bring infants and 9 year olds to a midnight showing of a movie made for adults?

• Like 3

DocM    16,851

A lot of our theaters don't allow infants, and the rating is PG-13 which allows younger with parental permission.

The 6 year old girl died - now to 13.

KingCracker    1,501

Until he started shooting, people thought it was a stunt/prank. Would you have thought differently? It could have been a stunt/prank. So what's to say that your little gun would have been any help at all? in the panic of the crowd shuffling to get out, you could have even hurt someone else who otherwise wouldn't have been injured. If it was a prank, you would have just murdered someone!

Are you serious? First thing any reasonable and sane person would do is figure out if it was a stunt or prank. I mean really come on, you honestly think someone sane would pull a gun out and start shooting over a prank? LOL figure out whats going on first and get to cover and make the judgment call if you can hit the gunman or not.

Pulling out a gun and randomly shooting violates gun safety rules that most people are taught anyway...

mattmatik    76

I am just curious, how are you so convinced of this fact? how do know for certain this guy did not have some crazy obsession with the batman movies, or the character Bane, etc. Just as the media, you do not know. So to be so adamant about the fact is almost as bad as them alluding to the fact it was to do with the movies. Both sides need to wait to hear the actual facts, not just speculation.

Truly a tragic event, and what a ****ing coward in every sense of the word.

You know, I went back and read what I typed and I probably did not word it correctly. Yes, he may have had a reason that is Batman related. My point was that, just like the Columbine/Doom relationship, I do NOT want to go down that road. Already the news was talking about possible cancelations of showings to curb copycats. And you know what the social image of someone who likes Doom was back in 1999.

cacoe    568

Are you serious? First thing any reasonable and sane person would do is figure out if it was a stunt or prank. I mean really come on, you honestly think someone sane would pull a gun out and start shooting over a prank? LOL figure out whats going on first and get to cover and make the judgment call if you can hit the gunman or not.

I'd agree with you but have you actually been in such a situation or have you had any sort of serious training to cope with a situation like this? If not, I'd be as scared around you as the guy who pulled this off.

Oh and in the context, you'd be thinking "this guy is ready to kill us" as you're watching the premier of a movie involving such similar antics? You wouldn't think it was a publicity stunt first? Riiiight. People there did.

DocM    16,851

Which is what they teach you in combat tactics.

KingCracker    1,501

I'd agree with you but have you actually been in such a situation or have you had any sort of serious training to cope with a situation like this? If not, I'd be as scared around you as the guy who pulled this off.

There are courses people can take,Ive took a few. Courses that put you under pressure, its not the same as the real thing of course but it gets you some what prepared for such things.

ILikeTobacco    839

Depends on what level he was wearing.

Yea but at least the incoming fire would have slowed him down had it not killed or seriously injured him, even if just slightly. May have even got a lucky shoot of and hit an arm/hand/leg where no armor was.

KingCracker    1,501

Yea but at least the incoming fire would have slowed him down had it not killed or seriously injured him, even if just slightly. May have even got a lucky shoot of and hit an arm/hand/leg where no armor was.

Aim for the balls, instant stop lol.

DirtyLarry    2,097

You know, I went back and read what I typed and I probably did not word it correctly. Yes, he may have had a reason that is Batman related. My point was that, just like the Columbine/Doom relationship, I do NOT want to go down that road. Already the news was talking about possible cancelations of showings to curb copycats. And you know what the social image of someone who likes Doom was back in 1999.

Okay fair enough, I get that perspective. But it is the media, they will do it for sure. It is how they are, love to make something out of nothing for the sake of ratings. I am sure Call Of Duty will get mentioned at some point as well.

I really hope this whole 9gag rumor is just that, a rumor, and it is not true, as if it is, that makes it even more disturbing then it already is. And if there were people somehow egging him on and giving him advice on how to do it, I am dead serious, they should be prosecuted as accessories to murder. While I truly believe in freedom of speech, I do not believe that gives people the right to say whatever they want online without any repercussions whatsoever. The anonymity of the internet is truly something that needs to be analyzed IMO, as people think they can say and do whatever they want online. Sorry for the tangent, but if he somehow did post his intent, and if indeed people were assisting him with it, that literally disgusts me to no end.

• Like 1

DocM    16,851

Go for the gap in the armor around the shoulder, or the head/neck.

Pygmy_Hippo    90

Anyone else curious why parents who were at this theater thought it was ok to bring infants and 9 year olds to a midnight showing of a movie made for adults?

Yup, very curious, and IMO it's a bad judgement call, but I think it's a matter for another post/topic (and believe me, I will rant there for a fair few pages!!!)

• Like 1

JonathanMarston    83

OMG why do madmen do this? Easy licensed access to guns & rifles should be banned in US to prevent reoccurrence of such a thing. US is turning to a gun culture nation IMO. Always happens in some university, cinema or public place. :( Almost always upbringing by parents of the psycho is to blame. People will forget after few days but who who lost lost forever. :(

Yeah, more laws will stop this because we all know that criminals will follow the gun laws and won't acquire guns illegally. I mean, they're just criminals. Criminals don't break laws, right?

Sarcasm aside, the day it becomes illegal in the US for me to own and carry my .40cal handgun is the day I leave.

• Like 1

Microsoft BOB™ 10    1,149

Yeah, more laws will stop this because we all know that criminals will follow the gun laws and won't acquire guns illegally. I mean, they're just criminals. Criminals don't break laws, right?

Sarcasm aside, the day it becomes illegal in the US for me to own and carry my .40cal handgun is the day I leave.

Nope you hand over the guns to criminals and psychos to make it as easy as possible for them to do this. Here's your license, now you can shoot them any day.</s> :crazy:

KingCracker    1,501

Nope you hand over the guns to criminals and psychos to make it as easy as possible for them to do this. Here's your license, now you can shoot them any day.</s> :crazy:

Ok, lets say all guns were banned in the U.S, you do know we have a wide open border to the south right? Mexicans bring illegal drugs in what do you think they'd bring in next ..

ahhell    1,303

Ok, lets say all guns were banned in the U.S, you do know we have a wide open border to the south right? Mexicans bring illegal drugs in what do you think they'd bring in next ..

How is that any different than now?

What should be banned are automatic weapons. There is no need to have that **** at all.

Charisma    2,399

Please, let's keep this thread from degenerating into the same old gun-control debate, okay? Stick to the topic at hand. If you want to have that discussion there are plenty of other threads more appropriate for it.

Thanks.

• Like 3

KingCracker    1,501

How is that any different than now?

What should be banned are automatic weapons. There is no need to have that **** at all.

No need for automatic weapons? Yeah there is. Its fun blowing things up on full auto. But besides its hard to get a full auto weapon anyway because they are tens of thousands of dollars. Only the rich can afford them so in effect they are already banned to most people.

FiB3R    1,663

The dudes apartment is "booby trapped"!

KingCracker    1,501

I never can understand why people do things like this, i mean really? Taking someone else's life is a pretty major thing, and you must seriously have some major mental problems to do such a thing. Disconnection from reality, or something.

Always fascinates me.

There's evil people in this world but the good news is there's more good people than bad.

+Kyle    98

The dudes apartment is "booby trapped"!

Where'd you see that?