What do you expect (not hope) to see in Windows 9?

Soo, we have to use 3rd party tools in order to use Windows 8 the way we want to?

yeah, that's one of the arguments against Start8 I anticipated.

but is it really that hard to install an app to do what the computer 'should' be able to do? It is a relatively small (and free) download, so what's the problem with it? plus, Paint comes with Windows, but some people still use Photoshop, a 3rd party app, to paint the way they want to! :D just saying, there are a lot of apps (like, say, WindowBlinds, or other apps from StarDock) that let you customize Windows beyond the basic tools that are included with Windows (and isn't that what apps are supposed to be used for?)

You're looking at Windows 8 like it's still Windows XP or 7, and you can't do that. It's a new design paradigm that is making a clean break from the old one. I've been sitting here using Metro on my desktop all night. I quite like it, but it's too limiting yet. I still want to be able to use Metro apps across all monitors at a time if I want to.

If you're still attached to the desktop, the desktop is still there, but it's without a doubt legacy code at this point. We might see a new design by Windows 9. But there's no doubt that the 9x paradigm is dead.

No. I see Windows 8 and immediately think "tablet". Windows 8 does NOT belong on my studio computer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 9x paradigm. The way I use computers, Windows 95 is FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE than Windows 8 for me. I NEED those floating windows and freedom to do my job. I need to see several folder structures at the same time. I need to be able to have the freedom of working/seeing on two, three, four, five, .... twenty things at the same time. If the 9x era is truly dead, than Windows 7 will be my last OS. And I will not be the only one.

If Windows 8 really tanks on the desktop, I will bet you MS will make a Desktop version of Windows 9 to fix their mistake.

I am so sick of people telling me I have to change the way I use computers just because.

Seriously, the unofficial tagline of Windows 8 is "Deal with it". I know many people that will deal with it the same way I will: By sticking with Windows 7 and then get out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 9x paradigm. The way I use computers, Windows 95 is FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE than Windows 8 for me. I NEED those floating windows and freedom to do my job. If the 9x era is truly dead, than Windows 7 will be my last OS. And I will not be the only one.

Except that the code is literally old, and rotten. It's broken. It's a security risk. There's still code in Windows 7 that's been there since 95 and even 3.1. That's nothing you really want. There comes a time where that code needs purged, and start over fresh.

Windows 8 is the start of a new underlying codebase that is fresh, fast and has long term viability.

My bet is the old 9x desktop will be completely purged, replaced by a new virtualized environment where you will be able to run both classic and Metro apps like you run desktop apps today, it'll be more touch centric and more interactive than today's desktop. However, to do that you need to take baby steps.

If Windows 8 really tanks on the desktop, I will bet you MS will make a Desktop version of Windows 9 to fix their mistake.

I am so sick of people telling me I have to change the way I use computers just because.

Seriously, the unofficial tagline of Windows 8 is "Deal with it". I know many people that will deal with it the same way I will: By sticking with Windows 7 and then get out.

Windows 8 won't tank for one simple reason: the devices it comes with will sell. Tablets, laptops, ultra books, and Transformers. The Surface Pro raised a lot of speculation and excitement. You'll see new desktop models released as a result of this. Windows 8 opens the door to new things Windows 7 will never be able to do.

If you're sick of being told what to do, than commercial operating systems aren't for you, because it's been like that for sometime now. Am I able to disable Explorer on Windows 7 and use a custom shell? No. Same thing with Windows 8. Can I disable Metro and use a custom shell? No.

• Like 1

No. I see Windows 8 and immediately think "tablet". Windows 8 does NOT belong on my studio computer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 9x paradigm. The way I use computers, Windows 95 is FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE than Windows 8 for me. I NEED those floating windows and freedom to do my job. I need to see several folder structures at the same time. I need to be able to have the freedom of working/seeing on two, three, four, five, .... twenty things at the same time. If the 9x era is truly dead, than Windows 7 will be my last OS. And I will not be the only one.

What exactly is preventing you from doing everything you just said in Windows 8? I don't use any metro app on my desktop save the weather tiles and weather on lock screen. Every single ****ing thing on my start screen is a desktop app but most of the times I just click the desktop tile and then pinned taskbar takes over. I just stay on desktop until I reboot.

Windows 8 won't tank for one simple reason: the devices it comes with will sell. Tablets, laptops, ultra books, and Transformers. The Surface Pro raised a lot of speculation and excitement. You'll see new desktop models released as a result of this. Windows 8 opens the door to new things Windows 7 will never be able to do.

If you're sick of being told what to do, than commercial operating systems aren't for you, because it's been like that for sometime now. Am I able to disable Explorer on Windows 7 and use a custom shell? No. Same thing with Windows 8. Can I disable Metro and use a custom shell? No.

that's why 2013 will be the year of the desktop Linux - because all the consumers are gonna get so ****ed off that Microsoft made Windows 8 simpler for them to use that they're gonna demand Microsoft pay them back for that Metro s*** and install their custom-coded variety of Linux & support it for 10 years for free :rolleyes: /s

(lol, couldn't resist posting this, just ignore it ;P)

I expect Microsoft to continue advancing metro and enjoy watching the people who claimed to stick to Win7 walk the talk. In fact, six months into 2013 I'd love to check on all these BUT BUT I CAN'T USE OVERLAPPING WINDOWS whiners and see if they really stayed on 7. :p

• Like 3

What exactly is preventing you from doing everything you just said in Windows 8? I don't use any metro app on my desktop save the weather tiles and weather on lock screen. Every single ****ing thing on my start screen is a desktop app but most of the times I just click the desktop tile and then pinned taskbar takes over. I just stay on desktop until I reboot.

Because every time I press the windows key, my 30" monitor is transformed into a giant tablet interface. Tell me why my $2,000 desktop computer NEEDS an interface like this? I bought a powerful computer for my studio work. If I never use the metro interface, why is it constantly being thrown in my face? Why not just give me a simple option to boot directly to the desktop mode without seeing the start screen even for a second when I boot my computer? What is so horrible about having OPTIONS?!

that's why 2013 will be the year of the desktop Linux - because all the consumers are gonna get so ****ed off that Microsoft made Windows 8 simpler for them to use that they're gonna demand Microsoft pay them back for that Metro s*** and install their custom-coded variety of Linux & support it for 10 years for free /s(lol, couldn't resist posting this, just ignore it ;P)

Actually, with Steam announcing a Linux version, I can see more people going there. We got to a point where we no longer need to rely on Windows. The only reasons I use my Windows install anymore is for game development (visual studio and adobe suite) and SWTOR.

• Like 2

I expect Microsoft to continue advancing metro and enjoy watching the people who claimed to stick to Win7 walk the talk. In fact, six months into 2013 I'd love to check on all these BUT BUT I CAN'T USE OVERLAPPING WINDOWS whiners and see if they really stayed on 7. :p

Windows XP, after more than 10 years, still has a market share of over 40%. I think it's pretty likely that lots of people, including some people on this board, will continue to be using the only three-year-old Windows 7 for quite some time.

Because every time I press the windows key, my 30" monitor is transformed into a giant tablet interface. Tell me why my $2,000 desktop computer NEEDS an interface like this? I bought a powerful computer for my studio work. If I never use the metro interface, why is it constantly being thrown in my face? Why not just give me a simple option to boot directly to the desktop mode without seeing the start screen even for a second when I boot my computer? What is so horrible about having OPTIONS?!

Metro is not just a tablet UI. On a 30 inch screen it's doing more for you than the tiny Start Menu would be.

• Like 1

Because every time I press the windows key, my 30" monitor is transformed into a giant tablet interface. Tell me why my $2,000 desktop computer NEEDS an interface like this? I bought a powerful computer for my studio work. If I never use the metro interface, why is it constantly being thrown in my face? Why not just give me a simple option to boot directly to the desktop mode without seeing the start even for a second when I boot my computer? What is so horrible about having OPTIONS?!

What tablet interface? I just see a launcher, same as any other windows. You are just complaining for the sake of it. The current workflow is Microsoft's way of making sure that more people are exposed to it which is understandable from their perspective. I probably have a more expensive workstation than your system at work but I don't see 8 affecting my productivity for any reason.

Metro is a long term evolution designed - among other things -to provide a unified experience across Microsoft's desktop, tablet, mobile and gaming platforms as well as provide an OS to eventually utilise or take advantage of NUI technologies such as voice and gesture recognition (think kinect - not suggesting that will replace our mice or kb but the current OS doesnt have the design to handle that just as it isnt optimised for touch).

I have no idea what Win9 will bring but I suspect Win9+WP9+Xbox9(whatever the name) will have some massively deep integration with each other and your overall work/home entertainment experience combined with microsofts online services of course.

Overall though I think the only thing for certain is win8 is just the first step of metro, win9 will push down that path even further just a matter of whether its a Vista Sp2 > Win7 or a Win7 > Win8 leap of change.

Metro is not just a tablet UI. On a 30 inch screen it's doing more for you than the tiny Start Menu would be.

You're right, it's blocking all my open applications. That is something the Start Menu didn't do.

• Like 3

I hope to have a way to disable metro interface completely.

*coughcough*

What do you expect (not hope) to see in Windows 9?

;P

tbh, I don't expect it to happen (or expect anyone to still be begging for it), but that's must MO

Windows XP, after more than 10 years, still has a market share of over 40%. I think it's pretty likely that lots of people, including some people on this board, will continue to be using the only three-year-old Windows 7 for quite some time.

That is courtesy Longhorn and not because XP was extraordinary. The chances of that happening again are next to none. ;)

You're right, it's blocking all my open applications. That is something the Start Menu didn't do.

Bullcrap. If you don't like it, don't use it and it won't get in your way.

• Like 1

Bullcrap. If you don't like it, don't use it and it won't get in your way.

I want to use the start menu. But Microsoft killed lassie now I can't use it anymore. I'm forced to use the start screen if I want any kind of Start Menu functionality. And besides each time I boot up I'm dropped in to Metro and any time I want to launch an app I've not yet pinned to my task bar. Thanks Microsoft.

That is courtesy Longhorn and not because XP was extraordinary. The chances of that happening again are next to none. ;)

0gHYz.gif

• Like 1

If you can't interact with the apps when startmenu is open what use it is to show those? I really don't understand this logic when its been brought up before.... if anything metro is more useful because you have a snapshot of all apps on the startscreen.... to me that's better than the 1.5 apps you can see with the current start menu (saying 1.5 because most people won't have more than 2 apps visible at a time and the current start menu covers up almost 1/4 of the screen now)

Do you actually think people will use a touch screen on a desktop? Sitting at their chair with their hand held out in the air touching at a screen? Because that just won't happen. HP tried this and no one else cared, no competition from other manufacturers because that idea is very poor.

The ergonomic way to use a computer is to sit with the screen at eye level with a separate mouse and keyboard on the desk which you manipulate with your hands, a rested position where the desk takes the weight of your arms.

At best I'd expect a touch panel like the Apple Magic Trackpad for desktops.

It's happening now.... the foldable desktops have been shown off at past events. The drafting table design is actually a really good method for interacting on a large screen and I see that being what "wins" in the desktop space. The windows 8 desktop will look different from the classic windows desktop but its going to take years before this new generation of desktops get good enough to take over.

I really wanna see a full Office MX, and Explorer metro apps by Windows 9 release. But for Metro to overtake the desktop, I need to be able to have multiple apps open at a time on both my monitors.

I still say that radial menu is the "gamechanger" for touchscreens and is not getting enough credit (to be expected in its current state).... I see the onenote mx as a beta test of that menu before they apply it to the rest of office for the next major version and then in windows 9 at which time people will not complain about the ui not being able to have powerful apps.

These threads are amusing. So many people stating their opinion as fact. It's also amusing that people can get so worked up and type out these elaborate multiple paragraph posts about how they are right just because others want options. Options, that point in fact, won't affect them if they don't want to use them.

Legacy code. :rofl:

• Like 1

These threads are amusing. So many people stating their opinion as fact. It's also amusing that people can get so worked up and type out these elaborate multiple paragraph posts about how they are right just because others want options. Options, that point in fact, won't affect them if they don't want to use them.

As I've read some people on this board say, if Microsoft gave a choice no one would use it. And that was from people who defend metro. :rofl:

• Like 1

0gHYz.gif

Oh. And, Reynholm is dead.

Love that show.

Anyway... people are saying that no one would use it if it was an option because people inherently go with wherever their comfort zone lies. Why learn something new when you don't have to? I understand that if the state of computing didn't change for another 40-50 years, many of you would be fine with that. But, there are those of us that want to see the future. We want to see what's next for computer UIs, applications, and computing in general. Hell, we've been doing it the same way for 25+ years now. It can't possibly stay the same. Is Metro the answer? Who knows? But, it's certainly the catalyst for a new era in computing.

That being said, I expect to see either the desktop done away with and 90% of all programs/application ported to or developed for the Metro interface. I expect to see a new paradigm in the desktop and I mean actual physical desktops. Where the surface of the desk is a multi-touch surface and/or monitor, thus eliminating any possible gorilla arm issues.

I expect to see new touch configurable pointers, and radial menus become more common place and taken advantage of by app developers just like they did the mouse all those many years ago.

I expect that WinRT, and by extension Metro apps, become as powerful as current Win32 programs. Yes, that includes studio grade programs, autocad, etc.

Going a bit beyond Windows 9, I expect in 5 years the whole icon thing will look even more archaic than it does now and most every OS will have transitioned away from it or be well into the process of doing so.

• Like 3

I expect them to pull more functionality out of the Desktop environment and put it into the Metro environment, while also making adjustments to Metro environment to make it more "power user" friendly (faster ways of switching apps, maybe allowing for additional apps on both sides of the screen etc).

I also suspect that Metro will be more lively (visually) than it is now.

I expect an OS that can be used on a real Personal Computer too. Not toys, not pads, not tablets or other mobile gadgets. Personal - Computers.

There is a crap ton of legacy code still in Windows 7 that shouldn't be there. Why are you laughing at that?