What do you expect (not hope) to see in Windows 9?

Let's just remind ourselves for a moment, lets just go back a little....

I wait for Win8 version.....

Did you try Vista yourself?

hahaha, wait so your currently using Windows 7,

so you don't want windows 8 because metro feature has been added?

you just don't have to use it. many other features and improvements have been added to windows 8 already so grow up.

Did you try Vista yourself?

hahaha, wait so your currently using Windows 7,

so you don't want windows 8 because metro feature has been added?

you just don't have to use it. many other features and improvements have been added to windows 8 already so grow up.

At nearly, ahem, 50 years old, yes I have 'tried' every OS known, have you?, maybe, but lets get one thing straight, I wish I had the time to 'grow up' :) Windows 9, 10 or 11 is not looking that great, if this is the direction we are heading is it?

At nearly, ahem, 50 years old, yes I have 'tried' every OS known, have you?, maybe, but lets get one thing straight, I wish I had the time to 'grow up' :) Windows 9, 10 or 11 is not looking that great, if this is the direction we are heading is it?

hi mate,

sorry for what I said... love Scottish people.

I just don't see why the bad views on Windows 8.

before I tried windows 8 I was like blah what a joke, but then I tried it out for the 5th time and stuck to it, its very nice. (not talking about the metro, still using the desktop)

but it feels more nice and some nice ui improvements along with much more.

its just windows 8 is starting the whole new thing,

do you think in 2050 that there will still be people moving a mouse and pressing keys and sitting there?

hi mate,

sorry for what I said... love Scottish people.

I just don't see why the bad views on Windows 8.

before I tried windows 8 I was like blah what a joke, but then I tried it out for the 5th time and stuck to it, its very nice. (not talking about the metro, still using the desktop)

but it feels more nice and some nice ui improvements along with much more.

its just windows 8 is starting the whole new thing,

do you think in 2050 that there will still be people moving a mouse and pressing keys and sitting there?

You made my day :) (loving the Scottish lol, and they are hard to love, believe me!! lol) Many thx!! :)

In answer to your question buddy. No, the mouse and keyboard are doomed, but I just don't think that Windows 8 is the time to do it, maybe a tad early? dunno?, I just feel it's being 'forced' ATM, on the desktop's that are still widely used. I know we don't have to upgrade, but you have to think of moving with the times, business and such. I believe there is a market for this OS, just not now, I'm afraid, on the desktop.

It's not "much slower" neither "highly unproductive", try it before commenting about it. Plus the fact that you search only one category between file/apps/settings increase the search speed. If you need to access often to a folder/apps/settings, you can pin it to the start screen.

You can use keyboard shortcut to directly search into a specified category.

The full screen thing isn't subjective at all. When searching you want as much result as possible per page to avoid you to scroll to spot the result you are looking for as fast as possible.

Read this : http://blogs.msdn.co...ive/tags/start/

Also, people are saying "huuuu it's unproductive because it's taking the whole screen" where in fact it's not since when you open the start menu you are only focusing on it not on what is in the background (it's like reading 2 books at the same time, you can't). Microsoft made a lot of tests to make sure that it's not counter productive.

And if you go into the wrong category?

Do a search for "computer management". Did you pick the right category the first time?.

With the old start menu I could hit Win + type "computer management" and hit enter, it was that simple. I don't see what the improvement is here, at least in this aspect.

Do a search for shell32.dll; now tell me the path? Can you?

It is possible I've not figured how to search correctly in Windows 8, if so please let me know. For instance, how do I search directly into each separate category from the desktop with a hot key as you mentioned?

The full screen switching is a subjective function, since both the start menu and the start screen display more or less the same information, the only fundamental difference being one can be distracting to some people.

Microsoft did a lot of tests to come up with the best compromise between a mobile device OS and the standard PC OS, I think they did a good job. I don't see businesses moving to it, and we don't know if Metro UI is here to stay, market adoption will reveal that in time, but I think many will just stay with Windows 7.

With the old start menu I could hit Win + type "computer management" and hit enter, it was that simple. I don't see what the improvement is here, at least in this aspect.

Right click in lower left corner and then click "computer management" or Win + X + g. So at least this is a definite improvement?

Right click in lower left corner and then click "computer management" or Win + X + g. So at least this is a definite improvement?

or Win-Q compmgmt.msc :)

or Win-Q compmgmt.msc :)

You guys failed to see what I was doing. Obviously there are other ways to get to computer management, so you're either tolling me or just didn't read / comprehend.

When you search for "computer management", the category you're in does not display any results, you have to click on the settings category to see your results. It's not easier than the start menu. Win + type + enter is dead simple. (or click if you didn't narrow your search to one item). That's not to say that the metro way of doing it isn't simple as well, we're counting key strokes here after all, (full screen thing aside).

Would you agree that a combined index of Apps, Settings and Files would make sense?

Also can you explain Win + X + g , I don't understand the + g part.

You guys failed to see what I was doing. Obviously there are other ways to get to computer management, so you're either tolling me or just didn't read / comprehend.

When you search for "computer management", the category you're in does not display any results, you have to click on the settings category to see your results. It's not easier than the start menu. Win + type + enter is dead simple. (or click if you didn't narrow your search to one item). That's not to say that the metro way of doing it isn't simple as well, we're counting key strokes here after all, (full screen thing aside).

Would you agree that a combined index of Apps, Settings and Files would make sense?

as for my suggestion, it was a bit of a joke, I was just adding to his list. When you press Win + X, then there are different letters you can press that bring up different options (check the underlined letters when you press Win X).

And yes, I agree a combination of apps settings and files would make sense, it's one of the few things I don't like about the RP and really hope they'll fix in the RTM.

Maybe they should show more than just apps with the initial search (and think a files+settings+apps would work well) but the fact that the search is now universal and can even search within your apps FAR exceeds one slight omission.... atleast to me.

Search is slightly more difficult to use but far more powerful.

as for my suggestion, it was a bit of a joke, I was just adding to his list. When you press Win + X, then there are different letters you can press that bring up different options (check the underlined letters when you press Win X).

And yes, I agree a combination of apps settings and files would make sense, it's one of the few things I don't like about the RP and really hope they'll fix in the RTM.

Gotcha :p Sometimes I'm completely oblivious to sarcasm :/

I hope they fix it too, it's a small omission but an important one unfortunately. Although I doubt the average user will be searching for secpol or gpedit. I know I'm making it sound like the results aren't there, because they are, however they can easily be over looked if you don't realize you're only searching for files.

Maybe they should show more than just apps with the initial search but the fact that the search is now universal and can even search within your apps FAR exceeds one slight omission.... atleast to me.

Search is slightly more difficult to use but far more powerful.

So what was wrong with the start menu of doing things, wasn't search universal in that also? I mean, I get apps, settings, files, heck even Outlook emails. Additionally I can also interact with the search result items; I can hover over the results and gain additional info, I can open properties for the file directly from the start menu, I can copy the file directly from the start menu as well (full right click menu options are there).

Again, I realize most people don't do these things :/ So I guess I'm going to be SOL with Win8 :*(

(This is assuming RTM doesn't address these issues)

I thought that you wanted the quickest way to open comp management but if you wanted to go there using search, why not use the keyboard shortcut that searches settings instead? You will have to look it up.

I personally always end up filtering the start menu search results with kind: to narrow results so the combined results were never an advantage to me.

Win + x opens the menu, g is accelerator for comp. management.

I thought that you wanted the quickest way to open comp management but if you wanted to go there using search, why not use the keyboard shortcut that searches settings instead? You will have to look it up.

I personally always end up filtering the start menu search results with kind: to narrow results so the combined results were never an advantage to me.

Win + x opens the menu, g is accelerator for comp. management.

Can't seem to get g to launch comp management from the WinX menu. I'm in an RDP session however.

Found the missing search settings hotkey; Win + W.

That's a little better, still a user needs to know ahead of time if an item is considered an app or setting as is the case with comp. management.

Anyways, hopefully we don't have to wait for windows 9 for some minor tweaks for windows 8.

When you search for "computer management", the category you're in does not display any results, you have to click on the settings category to see your results. It's not easier than the start menu.

You are failing to get search results because by default Administration tiles are hidden from metro. You must turn them on manually or by GPO. In actuality, the Administration tools in prior editions of Windows used to be mostly hidden by default too. I don't recall Vista anymore, but Windows 7 really made them "available" to everyone.

Enable Administration Tiles:

Open Start Menu.

Open Charm Bar\Settings.

Select Tiles (Second option on the top of your screen)

Change value to ?On?.

Now all consoles will become pinned to your start menu, and all of them become searchable by their normal titles.

• Like 1

You are failing to get search results because by default Administration tiles are hidden from metro. You must turn them on manually or by GPO. In actuality, the Administration tools in prior editions of Windows used to be mostly hidden by default too. I don't recall Vista anymore, but Windows 7 really made them "available" to everyone.

Open Start Menu.

Open Charm Bar\Settings.

Change value to ?On?.

Now all consoles will become pinned to your start menu, and all of them become searchable by their normal titles.

cool :D

Open Start Menu.

Open Charm Bar\Settings.

Change value to ?On?.

Oh yeah. That. Heh.

• Like 1

So what was wrong with the start menu of doing things, wasn't search universal in that also? I mean, I get apps, settings, files, heck even Outlook emails. Additionally I can also interact with the search result items; I can hover over the results and gain additional info, I can open properties for the file directly from the start menu, I can copy the file directly from the start menu as well (full right click menu options are there).

Again, I realize most people don't do these things :/ So I guess I'm going to be SOL with Win8 :*(

(This is assuming RTM doesn't address these issues)

I think what he means by Universal Search is the fact that you can search anything from anywhere in the OS That includes: Apps, Settings, Files, (not sure about outlook emails as I haven't installed Outlook yet, but it can be done with Metro Mail), the Internet AND you using the Search Contract within Metro apps.

So, I can type a word into the Search field, and select any given app, let's say Dictionary.com and it opens the app to the definition of that word then flip back into what I was doing or copy/paste from the app. Faster than punching up the browser and typing a URL, and doing a search on the site. This works with any Metro app that has the Search Contract implemented and is very powerful and useful. This should further increase as developers develop more powerful WinRT apps and if a service pack is issued and/or in Windows 9.

Also, you can still hover over any file to get more information on said file, location, date, etc. I don't think you can right-click to grab properties. Not sure on that one. I'll check and edit.

Edit: No right-click functionality. Maybe this will be added a later date (RTM, SP1, Win 9).

It's not "much slower" neither "highly unproductive", try it before commenting about it. Plus the fact that you search only one category between file/apps/settings increase the search speed. If you need to access often to a folder/apps/settings, you can pin it to the start screen.

Someone doesn't understand the concept "joke".

What do I expect? More inconsistencies in the UI. It has been the same story with every version I've used. Windows 7 is probably the closest to consistent it has ever been though.

No metro for desktops. And a start menu again is all I want in Windows 9.

As for Windows 8, im skipping it.

the actual Start Screen and All Apps menu are two different things or at least one is an extension of the other at best.

Start is start. Everything 'inside' of it (just like the old one) is part of it. Why can't you admit fault at your repeatedly misleading statement? I know conceptually its difficult for you to understand what we are talking about, be patient. (All Programs - lulz)

[The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Barney. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.]

Good points abysal. You are quite right that the complete lack of detail options from the new Searches are a detriment. Two steps forward, one back? (If you actually use Metro apps, if not its no steps forward)

My example also showed how it is quite possible (and common) to use the Start menu while using another window for reference.

Start is start. Everything 'inside' of it (just like the old one) is part of it. Why can't you admit fault at your repeatedly misleading statement? I know conceptually its difficult for you to understand what we are talking about, be patient. (All Programs - lulz)

[The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Barney. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.]

Good points abysal. You are quite right that the complete lack of detail options from the new Searches are a detriment. Two steps forward, one back? (If you actually use Metro apps, if not its no steps forward)

My example also showed how it is quite possible (and common) to use the Start menu while using another window for reference.

The thing is, Windows 8 is so so close to being the next OS for a lot of people, but they did the whole "one step back" on certain items as you said. It's mind boggling.

In general, I get the feeling a lot of people don't care about all the options and functions now missing from the start screen and search functions. Any issues are a non priority, and-or not relevant, since when brought up their casually dismissed.

I guess I expected more without sacrificing what already works. Redesign? sure, but make it good. If as a whole the Windows 8 OS is quicker because a combination of code optimization, UI thinning (removing transparencies and shadows along with other fat), then that's great. However if you make other tasks slower, or functions more tedious, then where is the benefit?

I'm still looking forward to Windows 8 on a touch tablet such as the surface. Full screen switching will make perfect sense on that device. Perhaps Windows 8 is a necessary step in order to make Windows 9 :p (thats meant as a joke, btw).

The thing is, Windows 8 is so so close to being the next OS for a lot of people, but they did the whole "one step back" on certain items as you said. It's mind boggling.

In general, I get the feeling a lot of people don't care about all the options and functions now missing from the start screen and search functions. Any issues are a non priority, and-or not relevant, since when brought up their casually dismissed.

I guess I expected more without sacrificing what already works. Redesign? sure, but make it good. If as a whole the Windows 8 OS is quicker because a combination of code optimization, UI thinning (removing transparencies and shadows along with other fat), then that's great. However if you make other tasks slower, or functions more tedious, then where is the benefit?

I'm still looking forward to Windows 8 on a touch tablet such as the surface. Full screen switching will make perfect sense on that device. Perhaps Windows 8 is a necessary step in order to make Windows 9 :p (thats meant as a joke, btw).

Which tasks besides shutdown are made slower/tedious? I already showed you how to get to comp management much faster than even on Windows 7. Kaedrin showed you how to get comp. management in search results if that's what you want.

I expect them to either kill off the traditional desktop entirely or further cripple it, in an attempt force everyone to use the Metro UI so they can dictate what people can and can't install on their PC via the Store.

I also expect the EU to intervene somewhere between now and then, forcing Microsoft to open up Metro - which will result in a ham-fisted mess. Futher marginalising Windows market share, pushing more regular users to OS X and experienced users to either stick with 7 or try out Linux.