What do you expect (not hope) to see in Windows 9?

I think that before Win9 ships we will see at least a few updates to the WinRT framework, kinda like the updates IOS does every year.

They should do this often to keep their new framework on par with the other mobile OSes since they are not only competing on the desktop but also on the tablet and phone.

They can't afford to wait 3 years for a new release

Which tasks besides shutdown are made slower/tedious? I already showed you how to get to comp management much faster than even on Windows 7. Kaedrin showed you how to get comp. management in search results if that's what you want.

I thought I demonstrated that it wasn't because of the break up of categories. When you search for a term that is not in the category, it requires extra interaction by clicking on the other categories. It's in fact faster with the traditional start menu every time since all items are in the search index.

Don't fixate on computer management alone; that was used as an example. You're telling me how to get to it in other ways, which is obvious and not the point I was making.

Essentially the user needs to know when searching for something to use to use Win + W for a setting, when searching for a File to use Win + F and when searching for an App to use Win + Q or just hit Win and Type, which is nice. And would be even nicer if it covered the entire index of Apps, Settings, and Files, something the start menu already does. Additionally the start menu allowed you to interact with full right click menu worth of options on each search result.

Now all consoles will become pinned to your start menu, and all of them become searchable by their normal titles.

You fail to mention that your Start Screen will then be cluttered with over 45 new pinned items so you will either need to unpin them (fiddlework!), clicking on them one by one (since Metro's touchiness has no concept of drag select or shift-click). Or you will have to keep turning that feature on and off. Either way, its tedious and a far cry from the out of the box three click behavior of 'classic' or the non-restricted Start search of Vista/7.

You fail to mention that your Start Screen will then be cluttered with over 45 new pinned items so you will either need to unpin them (fiddlework!), clicking on them one by one (since Metro's touchiness has no concept of drag select or shift-click). Or you will have to keep turning that feature on and off. Either way, its tedious and a far cry from the out of the box three click behavior of 'classic' or the non-restricted Start search of Vista/7.

Uh... you can select as many tiles as you wish while on the Start Screen and unpin them.

I like this whole little nemesis thing we got going on which stemmed from a single post that was a misunderstanding on BOTH our parts. Hey... keep it going. I haven't had an internet geek nemesis in... man, has to be years now.

I was clearly replying to Kaedrin who posted the steps. The only misunderstanding and false claims have been yours Wyn6, I've simply called you on your bad behavior and less than competent attention to detail. I'm wondering why what I wrote is so hard to understand, at least Anthony got it.

To clear the Admin items, you have to click on 44 different pins before you can 'single click' unpin them. With Win7, you can quickly drop into folder view and group select. Metro has no conception of system folders yet, so you are stuck with the long road. Lets not lose sight of the original issue. Out of the box, 3 clicks in classic. Win8 is markedly more tedious for people who hate fiddlework. Same with organizing it. I can move chunks around in semantic view, but I can't move groups between silos.

I was clearly replying to Kaedrin who posted the steps. The only misunderstanding and false claims have been yours Wyn6, I've simply called you on your bad behavior and less than competent attention to detail. I'm wondering why what I wrote is so hard to understand, at least Anthony got it.

To clear the Admin items, you have to click on 44 different pins before you can 'single click' unpin them. With Win7, you can quickly drop into folder view and group select. Metro has no conception of system folders yet, so you are stuck with the long road. Lets not lose sight of the original issue. Out of the box, 3 clicks in classic. Win8 is markedly more tedious for people who hate fiddlework. Same with organizing it. I can move chunks around in semantic view, but I can't move groups between silos.

Oh. I don't deny that the Start Screen could be managed better. Instead of having multiple subfolder tiles dropped onto Start and into All Apps, they could be dropped into the All Apps screen under a category heading only. However, you DID say "...clicking on them one by one (since Metro's touchiness has no concept of drag select or shift-click)".

Pretty easy to follow the details there. Just replying to what you said. I wasn't replying because I thought you replied to me considering you quoted WHO you were replying to. But, I'm pretty sure forum etiquette does not forbid us from replying to someone that didn't directly reply to us.

As far as my behavior goes, you attempted to manufacture some mythical, sasquatchian behavior on my part, but never cited any posts or other source to corroborate your claims. And, the misunderstanding I speak of was in an entirely different topic. You thought someone, that being me, was assaulting and insulting your intelligence and you fired back and have been doing so ever since. Hey... I get it. It's what many of us internetz geeks do. We do this until either the thread is locked or our posts are edited and/or deleted.

This is fun. Okay. Your turn.

P.S. This is really immature of us to be sniping at each other this way. Not to mention, grossly off-topic. Hah!

An OS that works itself to fit the user gives the user choice. Where is the needs fit for those of us that work better without the start screen?

I'm using Win8 RP right now. I clicked a button and in less than a second, I'm in desktop mode. And while I have some tiles configured, I never really see start screen again, unless I want too. I guess I just don't see the big fuss.