Is it worth to purchase iPad 3 at this point?

Hello guys,

I am looking into possibility to buy the new iPad, however I'd like to ask you something.

Should I wait for next generation iPad, or should I buy current gen iPad? This device will be used primarily for reading, surfing and possibly as a sandbox to test some home-brew iOS apps.

P.S. I'd like to ask iPad 3 owners about this "heating" problem. Is this a real deal or an overblown thing?

I say u wait, rumor is apple is going to come out with a smaller ipad.... and if u don't want to wait just get the other ipad for cheaper and next year once the new ipad comes out buy it at that point.

I don't own one, but if you can wait until the fall i would. There will be so many tablets coming out it will be shocking. And I mean quality ones. Don't just get an iPad because it's Apple, but in the end if its the best fit fine.

The new one just came out, so there's no reason to wait until the next one. Even so, I really don't see what they could update. The screen is phenomenal, and you can't really get any better.

I've never had any issues with heat, so I'd say it's just an overblown issue that happened to only a few people.

I'd say go for it. (Y)

P.S. I'd like to ask iPad 3 owners about this "heating" problem. Is this a real deal or an overblown thing?

It does get hotter than my iPad 2, but it's really not that bad.

Depends. If you want a smaller size iPad, I would wait to see if the rumors are true. If not, then get the iPad 3 since it just came out.

I'm aiming at bigger screen iPad, however I've heard rumors that with this iPad mini (or whatever they call it), the 10 screen tablet could also get a spec bump. Even though I find that highly unlikely, I wanted to ask for some opinions.

I'm aiming at bigger screen iPad, however I've heard rumors that with this iPad mini (or whatever they call it), the 10 screen tablet could also get a spec bump. Even though I find that highly unlikely, I wanted to ask for some opinions.

Hmm, didnt hear that rumor. In any case, if the current iPad has the hardware/specs you require...then go for it. There is always going to be that next device around the corner with a little better specs. I am still using my first gen ASUS Transformer because it does more than I need it for. Until I need to do more, or until this one breaks, I wont be upgrading.

If you can wait, do so.

Rumors has it, this fall will be full of iPad goodness...

http://www.macrumors...-iphone-launch/

I think the rumors are not exceptionally crazy, seeing how Apple might want to respond to Jelly Bean on tablets and the Surface/W8 with something fresh.

If anything, you will get a cheaper price on the current models! :p

Glassed Silver:mac

If a better specced iPad was really going to be released we would probably have heard a lot more rumors by now. Production would be in full swing.

If a better specced iPad was really going to be released we would probably have heard a lot more rumors by now. Production would be in full swing.

Despite that macrumors link, which I was directly referring to when I was talking about rumors, I completely agree and that's exactly the reason why I think that we will not get a new iPad (10 inch one, I mean) in the fall.

To be perfectly honest, I don't care too much about the specs. You don't need super specs for web surfing, reading, listening music, watching videos. The big attraction for me is the screen. I'll be perfectly honest that it felt so good to read text from the screen. It's amazing.

• Like 1

I agree, it would be unlikely the would make it more powerful due due to the current larger model having issues with heat. I think you'll have to wait until April for the next iPad I'm afraid. You could always buy and resell a few months before launch of the new model as they keep their value surprisingly well.

Hello guys,

I am looking into possibility to buy the new iPad, however I'd like to ask you something.

Should I wait for next generation iPad, or should I buy current gen iPad? This device will be used primarily for reading, surfing and possibly as a sandbox to test some home-brew iOS apps.

It sounds like you want a tablet running iOS, so I don't see why you shouldn't get the current iPad 3 unless you want to hold out for the possibility of a smaller iPad coming in the Fall...but that is just a rumor. The same rumor was in the wild last year and nothing ever came of it. Basically, nothing is confirmed yet. Check out the MacRumors buying guide for the iPad: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

Overblown. It does get quite a bit warmer than the iPad 2 which was rarely above room temperature. The higher temperature doesn't seem to effect stability or anything like that. It isn't any hotter than your typical laptop, and it certainly isn't a "burning" temperature. If you intend to play games on the iPad for extended periods of time outside in the middle of the summer it might be a problem... I don't know, I find playing most games on my iPad unbearable after about 15-30 minutes.

if your set on the iPad I would say get it, no sense in waiting another 9 or 10 month until the next version. Which wont be much different than this one. Which I have and it gets no hotter than the previous one. I would also suggest that you wait until this fall when everyone one will be releasing a tablet. Pricing should be similar because everyone want to sell you one.

I currently still have the iPad 1 and was going to buy the iPad 3, but.. with the continued rumors of the iPad mini. I honestly plan to wait and just buy it. I love my iPad for sitting around and using, but after using my friends Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, 7" feels like the perfect sweet spot to me.

I say, go for it! :)

I recently bought 2 new iPad's, it is really awesome. There really is no competitor when you look at the overall experience. Sure, other tablets may be superior in a few random aspects, but in my opinion, the iPad is still the better choice. I know I sound like a hardcore Apple fanboy, but believe me, I'm not. I actually hated Apple to the core up until recently! But the new iPad really impressed me, so i took the plunge. And I have not regretted it one bit! :)

I was also a bit worried about the heating issues, but I have not faced any problem till now.

Since a lot of people are saying wait for the smaller iPad (if there is one), another thing to consider is what you will be using it for.

If you plan on doing anything productive on it (sending emails, browsing the net, editing photos, etc), you will appreciate the bigger screen.

I've played with the Nexus 7, and it honestly feels like a novelty item that will find it's way to an empty drawer eventually.

The difference in screen size makes a huge huge difference.

If it really came to it, you could buy an iPad now, and if a smaller one happens to come out that you'd rather have, sell the one you have and get the smaller one. Apple stuff retains value amazingly well, so you wouldn't lose much money at all on it.

The new one just came out. Unless you want the smaller form factor rumored to be coming, why wait? I would suggest buying from the Apple Store's refurbs, though. Same warranty, and much cheaper. Apple does a great job with refurbs.

Ok guys, I've finally decided that I will buy ipad 3. Retina screen is too difficult to resist and there's a lot of time before the new iteration of the tablet comes.

Thank you guys for helping me decide. I appreciate all the opinions.