Has Safari for Windows been discontinued?

When you go to the Safari website all you see is a description of its features. No download link.

On the bottom of the page there's a footnote:

The latest version of Safari is available in Mountain Lion. The latest version of Safari for Lion is available through Software Update.

No mention of the Windows version. Trying to download the older version 5.1.7 from the Apple Support website also leads to nowhere.

So - have they killed the Windows version, or is this just an oversight while OS X 10.8 is being rolled out? Curiously enough there was no beta of Safari 6 for Windows - another strong hint towards its demise.

Whether anyone really used Safari for Windows is an entirely different question...

Not surprised. iCloud for Windows syncs bookmarks with IE, and the number of Safari for Windows users was tiny.

Might be but was really excited to use their newer versions with their new DFG JIT.

I used to use Safari, however it had a few nasty bugs that after 3 versions, and 3 bug reports still wasn't fixed I decided to drop it.

www.apple.com/safari/download/ which used to host the download page redirects to www.apple.com/safari/

Looks like it might be an oversight of the upgrade.

Thankfully, we still have a Webkit-based mainstream browser in the form of Google Chrome although I will miss Safari for Windows. Less choice and less competition is never good.

I make it a habit to test all browsers on a major release.

Safari was actually a pretty nice browser, but in the last version it had some bugs that would make it pretty unstable which killed it for me. If it weren't for that it would comfortably be better than firefox.

Does anyone really care? Safari on Windows was more of a virus than anything else. How long does it take for Apple to patch known issues that are out in the wild and being used....

Well,when I bought my first home computer,a Windows 7 Netbook in April 2010,I installed Safari web browser. And to be honest it was not all that great. But that was when I did not know much about computers.

Safari works better on Mac than it does on Windows and I found it slow. And also the browser is quite ugly. Safari is not the best browser to install on Windows. And you are better off installing Google Chrome or Pale Moon based on Firefox 3.6.

Also when I installed Safari it also installs a load of junk software,the Quick Time Player which does nothing,Bonjour,the I tuners Player, and other unwanted software. So that's another good reason not to install Safari. Andrea Borman.

I think it might be down because they are getting ready to update links for Safari 6.

I doubt it, the links should of been up by now or through Apple Update Software.

Apple is doing everyone a favor, safari was pretty much irrelevant on the windows side and the worse of all the browsers interms of memory use. Good riddance,hopefully they'll do the same with QuickTime.

I haven't used Safari in ages. It seems so old school to me.

To be fair it's more usable out of the box (so to speak) than firefox is.

Without any addons, Safari is an OK browser with decent built in features. Firefox is garbage without any addons.

No big loss to be honest. It was only initially released for Windows users to develop for the iPhone before Apple released the app store, and very few people used it.

Ah, safari on windows....I remember that when I was a kid. Me and my friends used to have contests to see whose Safari was fastest...wait, I think it's a flashback from browser wars....dang it, it was! So, to summarize: I remember when I had my first beer.

To be fair it's more usable out of the box (so to speak) than firefox is.

Without any addons, Safari is an OK browser with decent built in features. Firefox is garbage without any addons.

That may be true but almost everyone I know uses extensions. Firefox still has the best ones.

That may be true but almost everyone I know uses extensions. Firefox still has the best ones.

I don't think it does any more. It doesn't have a workable Imagus replacement, Chrome has far more addons that aren't just translations of existing ones and a great deal of the Firefox addons that I used to require simply haven't been updated to work with any of the last few versions of the browser.

No big loss to be honest. It was only initially released for Windows users to develop for the iPhone before Apple released the app store, and very few people used it.

Hear,Hear. As I said in my last post Safari is not a very good browser. And it does not work well on Windows. And from what I read on the web, other Windows users have said Safari works better on Mac than what it does on Windows. So it is no loss. Andrea Borman.

I don't think it does any more. It doesn't have a workable Imagus replacement, Chrome has far more addons that aren't just translations of existing ones and a great deal of the Firefox addons that I used to require simply haven't been updated to work with any of the last few versions of the browser.

A lot of that may also depend on what extensions you use too.