Google Warned Samsung Against Copying Apple

When Apple?s patent battle with Samsung heads to trial next week, the iPhone maker plans to build its case using its Korean rival?s own words against it. An unredacted version of Apple?s trial brief bluntly states that Samsung was well aware that its smartphones and tablets bore a striking resemblance to Apple?s iPhone and iPad and that the issue was one the company discussed internally.

?Samsung?s documents show the similarity of Samsung?s products is no accident or, as Samsung would have it, a ?natural evolution,?? Apple argues in its brief. ?Rather, it results from Samsung?s deliberate plan to free-ride on the iPhone?s and iPad?s extraordinary success by copying their iconic designs and intuitive user interface. Apple will rely on Samsung?s own documents, which tell an unambiguous story.?

Among those documents are a few purported to show that Samsung not only deliberately copied certain characteristics of the iPhone and iPad, but was also explicitily warned away from doing so by various third parties, including Google. Below, a sampling of some of Apple?s more compelling points.

In February 2010, Google told Samsung that Samsung?s ?P1? and ?P3? tablets (Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1) were ?too similar? to the iPad and demanded ?distinguishable design vis-?-vis the iPad for the P3.?

In 2011, Samsung?s own Product Design Group noted that it is ?regrettable? that the Galaxy S ?looks similar? to older iPhone models.

As part of a formal, Samsung-sponsored evaluation, famous designers warned Samsung that the Galaxy S ?looked like it copied the iPhone too much,? and that ?innovation is needed.? The designers explained that the appearance of the Galaxy S ?[c]losely resembles the iPhone shape so as to have no distinguishable elements,? and ?[a]ll you have to do is cover up the Samsung logo and it?s difficult to find anything different from the iPhone.?

Damning stuff ? as presented in this context, anyway. And it will be interesting to see how Samsung?s legal team rebuts it. That said, Samsung does have some ammunition of its own. Specifically, some 2006 internal design presentations that outline a mobile UI similar to the one that ultimately debuted on the iPhone, a handy before-and-after the iPhone handset comparison and some internal Apple emails that it claims suggest ?Apple?s ?revolutionary? iPhone design was derived from the designs of a competitor ? Sony.?

Add to that Samsung?s claim that Apple?s lawsuit is anticompetitive and its argument that the iPhone maker should pay it for using patented technology, without which it ?could not have become a successful participant in the mobile telecommunications industry,? and next week?s trial is shaping up to be a contentious one indeed.

It's not as unambiguous as Apple would like to suggest. That said, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a pretty obvious case. They had their own design originally, then the iPad 2 was released and Samsung publicly pulled it back and went back to redesign it to be thinner. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what really got Steve Jobs ****ed off.

Doesn't matter, Samsung didn't copy Apple, Apple copied Samsung, and there are documents to prove so.

• Like 1

That gave me a really good laugh. Thanks.

Why? Because he is right and both sides claim to have proof that their design came first?

Both side can claim all they want and produce images of before/after the iPhone. Unless there is hard evidence, this is going to go no where and will be tied up in courts for a long time.

Why? Because he is right and both sides claim to have proof that their design came first?

If both sides claim to have proof their product came first how is he right in that Samsung didn't copy Apple, just that Apple copied Samsung? Did you even read his reply properly before hitting that post button? No, I don't think you did.

Both side can claim all they want and produce images of before/after the iPhone. Unless there is hard evidence, this is going to go no where and will be tied up in courts for a long time.

The evidence is in the article, what else do you need?

Even Google warned Samsung about it.

If both sides claim to have proof their product came first how is he right in that Samsung didn't copy Apple, just that Apple copied Samsung? Did you even read his reply properly before hitting that post button? No, I don't think you did.

As it is now, they both copied each other. Until this is settled, this will be the one of the many claims on both sides. So yea, I read what he said.

Apple said Google warned Samsung. I can copy/paste and create text as well. Until Apple released official documents backing up their claim, then there is no proof at all.

Not going to go by what someone says without anything to back themselves up.

As it is now, they both copied each other. Until this is settled, this will be the one of the many claims on both sides. So yea, I read what he said.

Asrokhel specifically wrote Samsung didn't copy Apple and Apple did copy Samsung. So I'll ask you again: How is he right if according to you both companies copied each other?

Apple said Google warned Samsung. I can copy/paste and create text as well. Until Apple released official documents backing up their claim, then there is no proof at all.

Not going to go by what someone says without anything to back themselves up.

Yeah because some random news reporting site is going to have every bit of proof that will be presented in the case at their disposal... Believe what you want, but I find it hard to believe they just pulled that bit out of their ass.

We can clearly see with our own eyes that Samsung copied the hell out of Apple, so let them go down in flames for it.

Doesn't matter, Samsung didn't copy Apple, Apple copied Samsung, and there are documents to prove so.

Oh really now? Care to show some proof?

We can all clearly see from the various physical devices that Samsung indeed copied Apple. Not that difficult to figure it out...

Yeah because some random news reporting site is going to have every bit of proof that will be presented in the case at their disposal... Believe what you want, but I find it hard to believe they just pulled that bit out of their ass.

We can clearly see with our own eyes that Samsung copied the hell out of Apple, so let them go down in flames for it.

Never said that a random news site needs to produce proof. I said that Apple/Samsung needs to show proof. And I have seen Samsung products pre iPhone that look like what Apple has now. Both sides have tossed around several images and this is getting really ridiculous. Just wish they could both come to some kind of agreement and then get on creating products.

Asrokhel specifically wrote Samsung didn't copy Apple and Apple did copy Samsung. So I'll ask you again: How is he right if according to you both companies copied each other?

He is right because that is his opinion and nothing has been settled in court to prove otherwise. Apple has also lost cases as well.

You can have your opinion as well but I wouldnt laugh at others for theirs.

The article is Apple's claim that google warned samsung...

Apple has been claiming so many thing and not necessarily true.

So same way Samsung yesterday claimed that apple couldnt have sold a single iphone if they have not copied Samsungs innovation. Should be a solid proof /s

that's funny, because a lot of cars look very similar to each other... along with many other products

Imagine if a company patented the rectangular shape of current TVs

He is right because that is his opinion and nothing has been settled in court to prove otherwise. Apple has also lost cases as well.

You can have your opinion as well but I wouldnt laugh at others for theirs.

Opinions can't be truly right or wrong to begin with since they're, well, opinions and not facts. Since both companies are apparently sitting on proof we can't at this point say with certainty one side is either right or wrong. Not to mention he more or less presents his viewpoint as being fact. Hence the reason I find his response laughable. It's also the reason why you can't say he's right because we simply don't know one way or the other.

Apart from Lucy Koh, most judges are throwing Apple's claims against Samsung out of court, so clearly the US judiciary can't be that convinced that Samsung are engaged in the wholesale theft of Apple IP, but Google are right, Apple will sue anything that looks like a serious competitor so Samsung should have seen it coming.

Honestly even though they have to pay all these fines samsung gambled the system and the money they are making makes up for it.

Samsung sell a lot of phones because they make great products. And that move seems to scare the living crap out of some Apple fans for some reason.