iCLOUD poll for mac users...

73 members have voted

1. 1. I use icloud for .....

• Email
    • Calendar
    • Both
    • Neither

Haven't seen that approach before. Figured Contacts/Email would be run by the same service.....

Most of my contacts are phone contacts. I have some email addresses in there. I don't really use email with friends and family. Either phone number or talk via Facebook.

I had some annoyances with Google Contacts back when I first was setting up my iPhone 3GS to sync. Something about all of the suggested contacts being included and that was annoying.

I think I tried it and decided that Apple's MobileMe (at the time) was better for my needs.

Haven't seen that approach before. Figured Contacts/Email would be run by the same service.....

I do the same thing Shadrack does. Because I don't use the Gmail web interface at all, it doesn't inconvenience me. Plus, iCloud's contact syncing is way better than Gmail's.

Ever since ML came out iCloud has multiplied its usefulness many times over. I use it to Sync my contacts over to my iPhone/iPad (was possible with Lion too), use it to sync & store simple notes (Text Edit), Images (mostly flowcharts via preview) & maintain some very frequently accessed Spreadsheets & Presentations (via iWork).

If your data is not too sensitive, then this is definitely the future.

Ever since ML came out iCloud has multiplied its usefulness many times over. I use it to Sync my contacts over to my iPhone/iPad (was possible with Lion too), use it to sync & store simple notes (Text Edit), Images (mostly flowcharts via preview) & maintain some very frequently accessed Spreadsheets & Presentations (via iWork).

If your data is not too sensitive, then this is definitely the future.

I agree. I've been using iCloud's document storage (especially in iWork and Byword) a lot since Mountain Lion's release. I still prefer Dropbox for storing/syncing the majority of my files, but I do appreciate how seamless iCloud is.

I use iCloud for all. However, I'm beginning to regret that decision. iCloud's email system is a joke. iCloud's server has its own junk filtering system which you have NO control over. Emails that are CONSTANTLY marked as NOT junk keep randomly getting put into the junk folder...causing me again to have to login into icloud.com and again mark it as not junk. The OSX Mail app has its own junk filtering mechanism which I prefer to use since I can control it. However, I can't because the server still uses its own and its the server that is giving me issues. I've called Apple a few times regarding this and they are completely useless. What really sucks is that my iCloud email is my Apple ID and since Apple WON'T merge IDs, I'm can't switch email addresses because I'm not willing to jug two email addresses for Apple devices....one for email and another for my App Store/iTunes purchases. Then, notifications/PUSH randomly doesn't work on iOS devices. Also, once read on the iPhone or iPad, the status is NOT pushes to the other devices. Same with Mac OSX, you read email there and its NOT pushed to iOS devices. As soon as we are able to merge Apple IDs...if ever, I will switch my email, calendar and contacts away from iCloud...assuming Apple doesn't do any major upgrades to the platform.

Sorry for the soap box moment guys....I had to vent. :-/

I agree, im an apple fan and iCloud seemed like a perfect fit.

I was a .mac customer and i loved it, it sync'd everything and most importantly email worked.

Since last november my email has lost it's push ability, i am a heavy email user and use it more than text messaging and really since mobileme email from apple is a joke. Push consistently doesn't work and it still is not working to this day. I am waiting to see what apple released for iOS6 etc.. however if they don't fix this then i am moving lock stock to Gmail or Outlook.com.

Apart from that photo stream currently is a waste of time, cant really share, it's just a photo dump

Calendar keeps breaking, one minute it's fine the next errors everywhere.

The only thing that seems to be working fine is contacts and find my phone

I love Apple Mac's, loved the iDevices however Apple just cannot get cloud right, they couldn't with mobileme and they haven't with iCloud, if anything it's worse as they have taken away services whilst reducing the reliability of services they have left.

Really i would really recommend staying away from apple's cloud services!

Well I used iCloud for everything, email, contacts, calendar, etc. However, iCloud's email platform SUCKS. There is NO control of junk filter settings on the server. No notifications in iOS if the server thinks something is junk and sends it to the junk folder. PUSH will randomly quit working. The final straw for me was when emails from my mom kept getting marked as junk by the server and kept putting them in the junk folder. She was in my address book and I would constantly login into iCloud.com and go to the junk folder and mark it as "not junk" which should've fixed it but it didn't. I spent just over a month on the phone with Apple trying to get them to fix it and them having me "try different things" and nothing worked. Finally, they came back at me with pretty much, sorry, the engineers don't have the systems setup to fix your issue. I'm like WTF? The server is CLEARLY doing something it shouldn't be doing, even Apple agreed with this and they can't fix it? I get told that all I can do is pretty much hope that it gets fixed later because there isn't a system to submit trouble tickets? WTF? That was it. I decided to move my email, calendar and contacts back to my domain and now use Google Apps for my Domain and its A LOT better.

Maybe I am confused, I use Skydrive, not trolling. Why would you use anything like iCloud / Skydrive for email? Email is already "in the cloud...."

iCloud email is only your "@me.com" email address you get with Apple, thats what it means by iCloud i think.

iCloud email is the @me stuff and maybe the older domains as well?

It's a poorly setup email platform that is prone to errors and such and obviously Apple has no real interest in offering a viable email service. They just "threw something together" to say they have it. It's really sad.

Maybe I am confused, I use Skydrive, not trolling.

I use SkyDrive too, I prefer it for file storage over DropBox. However, what iCloud offers is totally out of the scope of any other cloud based service.