Mine is from 1/12/08 if it works why worry. I haven't rebooted or had a problem since forever.

Same here, I haven't rebooted mine since I installed DD-WRT (2 years or a little more), but I guess I am gonna have to do so, I lost the password which is never happened before. lol

This Tomato sounds interesting, but my DD-WRT router has been so rock solid I don't want to mess with it, really.

One question about Tomato:

Are there options to force particular connections (by MAC address preferably) to ONLY use OpenDNS for DNS look ups? I like how with DD-WRT I can force a few connections on OpenDNS (like the DirecTV and XBox as well as the kid's iPods and stuff) while the others default to my ISPs. I have to add entries to iptables in dd-wrt to get this functionality and would like a user friendly approach.

I too dropped DD-WRT a few years ago and have since moved to Tomato. Tomato USB slowed down releases as well, but its stable as all be.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran DD-WRT for a months but QOS is quite buggy on my dir300, guess you have to pay? to get decent QOS so went to Gargoyle(OpenWRT) and everything is great except for a slower boot time but it got the best QOS out there and Active Congestion Control is an online gamer's best friend.

Another I have noticed is DD-WRT rude mods which turned me off.

none of the alt. fw supports my WGR614..... might upgrade soon for USB print sharing.... so sick of people having to have me mess with networking crap everytime they wanna print cuz for some reason it screws up all the time. PRINTERS ARE EVIL!!!!

I have a Linksys WRT54G2 which only DD-WRT seems to support, so guess whats on it

Its currently being used as a wireless bridge (or wireless extender if you like - so easy to set up its not funny), its insanely stable regards data transfer and i havent rebooted it, or even looked physically at it since it was installed 6 months ago. Also dont understand why people whine about the GUI, straight forward if you know what youre doing. Ive seen worse on a Netgear :)

To be honest i havent, nor do i think i will, looked at updating the firmware, it just works, why fix something that aint broken

just buy a HP wireless printer like the cheap 3070, cheap and simple and just works on wireless unless most wireless printer brands

is it better then kodak?

Probably, we don't have Kodak printers here, didn't even know they made them, I'm guessing they're a relabeling OEM maker, meaning it's most likely a HP/Canon anyway. And besides bad time to buy anything Kodak :)

I have a kodak allready... but mom bought it for me x-mas 2010. that's the printer I raged about in the printers are evil thread. LOL

Note to self: You like DD-WRT and DD-WRT likes you, DO NOT flash alternate firmware ever again.

--

That took far too long to remember the TFTP commands to unbrick

For future reference (when I brick it next time)

PuTTY > update code.bin > command prompt > tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put code.bin

That's why I don't try these. I'm not comfortable enough- same thing with ROMs for my phones. Hope you're back in business with that router.

Ran DD-WRT for a months but QOS is quite buggy on my dir300, guess you have to pay? to get decent QOS so went to Gargoyle(OpenWRT) and everything is great except for a slower boot time but it got the best QOS out there and Active Congestion Control is an online gamer's best friend.

Another I have noticed is DD-WRT rude mods which turned me off.

Talking about the good QoS I thought this was a quality firmware I could try on my WRT610v1 that doesn't support TomatoUSB. Then I went to their site, and looked at some screenshots, and realized they even managed to make the DD-WRT interface look good, and they're QoS is just a poor mans copy of Tomato, and since I use my main WRT610v2 with tomato as the actual internet router I don't need to put this crap on it for the QoS.

why would you voluntarily put that thing on a router....

Still looking for a good replacement for DD-WRT then, since this router randomly seizes all communication with everything for a few seconds when playing TSW, and at some other times.

That's why I don't try these. I'm not comfortable enough- same thing with ROMs for my phones. Hope you're back in business with that router.

Yea I was back in business with it before I posted that method, I knew I could unbrick it because it used to be a locked down samknows router and I had to unlock it the same way originally

• 4 months later...

If your router is supported, you should give it a try. You may never come back to DD-WRT :p

And when you use pfSense you'll never go back to home routers running custom firmware. :p

IOS > DDWRT, Look at Cisco's end of life Aironet access points and routers which are now in the $200 price range online.

Still light-years ahead of consumer crap

And when you use pfSense you'll never go back to home routers running custom firmware. :p

hmm a nice little Linksys WRT610 on my kitchen wall that barely uses any power and does everything I need at full speed allows me full control of the network. or a big computer box with either a rear antenna that gets blocked by the case or a big antenna mounted higher on the wall with a wire, oh and I also need an extra switch for the wired equipment.

yeah, why wouldn't I want the pfsense solution...

IOS > DDWRT, Look at Cisco's end of life Aironet access points and routers which are now in the $200 price range online.

Still light-years ahead of consumer crap

And I'd still take a nice home router on my kitchen wall running Tomato over that.

hmm a nice little Linksys WRT610 on my kitchen wall that barely uses any power and does everything I need at full speed allows me full control of the network. or a big computer box with either a rear antenna that gets blocked by the case or a big antenna mounted higher on the wall with a wire, oh and I also need an extra switch for the wired equipment.

yeah, why wouldn't I want the pfsense solution...

If your hole network is based around crappy Wi-Fi speeds, then yes, pfSense is not for you.

You also complain about having an antenna on the wall with a wire, but insist on mounting a router on your kitchen wall...

and I'm pretty sure my little AMD E350 doesn't use that much power.

Hmm.. that was weird, I believe I specifically mentioned my wired network as well.. you know like the wire that goes from the router to my media bench, where I have my HTPC/Server, networked BD/surround receiver, networked satellite tuner, Xbox 360, and a TV and WiiU connected over wireless. Then I have another wire going upstairs to my second WRT 610 (got it free) that's used as an upstairs Access point, and a switch for the computers and devices on the second floor office/computer room.

All this with a nice anonymous looking 610 on my kitchen wall right above the ADSL modem.

As opposed to the PFsense alternative which would be Modem+big ugly computer box on the floor+ wired antenna on the wall.

to give me the same performance as my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz 610 I would in fact need two wireless cards and two antennas on the wall. and then I wouldn't get the range and performance of the excellent Linksys MIMO antennas.

Also, as for Crappy WiFi speeds. well I have an two N networks on both 5 and 2.4 Ghz, and this copies as fast as the HDD's in the computers can handle anyways for internal network speed, as for internet speeds, the N network is faster in any case.

I guess you're right and I'm wrong. (can't be arsed to argue with you over the Internet to be fair)

DD-WRT > pfSense... after all, it's the size that counts. Who wants a HUGE big ugly ITX box standing on the floor.

And for the record, I'm not a mind reader... but thanks for sharing with us your network as a hole.

learn to write whole properly, hole is something completely different, the first time I figured it was a typo, but twice...

I never said it was the size that counts, but I guess you didn't actually read my post, what a surprise.