"big ugly computer box on the floor"

What?? Who says your router has to be "next" to the modem? And who says it has to be big? Here is a case for 3 nic alix board, its 6.5x6x1 inches -- thats smaller than you 610 ;) (2.6 x 12 x 10 inches)

post-14624-0-40599300-1357054629.png

You clearly have some sort of box "I have my HTPC/Server" That box could be a VM host and pfsense could run in a VM - which just a wire from your modem.. Why you would have your modem in the kitchen is beyond me in the first place.

Your "router" could be where ever you want it to be - to say they have to be in the kitchen is crazy talk, or that they have to big big boxes?? I run multiple machines, my NAS and my router (pfsense) and its all on a N40L that is only 10.5" x 8.3" x 10.2" -- which is also smaller than your router ;) Just a bit thicker ;) It has 4 drives in it currently and only uses like 55 watts. Have it plugged into my killawatt so lets see has used in the last 6392 hours, 358Kwh -- what is that 266 days, and I pay about 12.5 cents per kwh so your talking 17 cents a day roughly to run my NAS, my router and all my play VMs - ubuntu, centos, freebsd, w7, 2k8, w8, etc. etc..

Your router might be able to do everything you want it to do - but sorry its not up to what I like to do on my network. The gateway/firewall between your network and the public internet has little to do with a wireless network. That you want to combine them into one simple little box with few actual networking features -- happy for you. But if looking for wireless coverage and speed - then that hangs off your wired network as AP, not also providing gateway/firewall/nat functions, etc.. Their little cpu/memory not really up to much of anything really.

But sorry it does not have to be a big box, nor does it have to be a power hungry box, nor does it have to sit next to where your modem is -- in your case the kitchen.

BTW - this thread is from jul/aug 2012 ;)

"big ugly computer box on the floor"

What?? Who says your router has to be "next" to the modem? And who says it has to be big? Here is a case for 3 nic alix board, its 6.5x6x1 inches -- thats smaller than you 610 ;) (2.6 x 12 x 10 inches)

post-14624-0-40599300-1357054629.png

You clearly have some sort of box "I have my HTPC/Server" That box could be a VM host and pfsense could run in a VM - which just a wire from your modem.. Why you would have your modem in the kitchen is beyond me in the first place.

Your "routers" could be where ever you want them to be - to say they have to be in the kitchen is crazy talk, or that they have to big big boxes?? I run multiple machines, my NAS and my router (pfsense) and its all on a N40L that is only 10.5" x 8.3" x 10.2" -- which is also smaller than your router ;) Just a bit thicker ;) It has 4 drives in it currently and only uses like 55 watts. Have it plugged into my killawatt so lets see has used in the last 6392 hours, 358Kwh -- what is that 266 days, and I pay about 12.5 cents per kwh so your talking 17 cents a day roughly to run my NAS, my router and all my play VMs - ubuntu, centos, freebsd, w7, 2k8, w8, etc. etc..

Your router might be able to do everything you want it to do - but sorry its not up to what I like to do on my network. The gateway/firewall between your network and the public internet has little to do with a wireless network. That you want to combine them into one simple little box with few actual networking features -- happy for you.

But sorry it does not have to be a big box, nor does it have to be a power hungry box, nor does it have to sit next to where your modem is -- in your case the kitchen.

BTW - this thread is from jul/aug 2012 ;)

I have my modem router in the kitchen because where it's place is a nice anonymous place, it's the input point for the house, AND it's the centerpoint of the first floor, meaning form there I get full coverage of the whole house. While I could have it in the HTPC. I'd rather have my internet up and going all the time, even when that one is down for maintenance and updates/upgrades, especially since it's sort of not feeling all to well in general.

And even if a mITX box could be smaller, it wouldn't be as anonymous, it would cost significantly more since I already have this 610 that performs as well as the other box would, the other box still would require the antennas and no MIMO.

I can do everything I need on my home network, it doesn't need to be managed like a corporate network. As it is I could run the 610 as a fileserver, NAS and even a torrent downloader as well, but that stuff is handled by my media center anyway.

and the date of the OP is kinda irrelevant, I don't check the dates of the OP, I reply to posts that pop up in the new content. btw with your box, I would still need an extra switch.

"I would still need an extra switch."

Says who?? For starters I would move your modem out of your kitchen - you don't have a switch where your other wired devices are located? So no extra from what I can tell.

Glad your happy with your setup - I have no desire to get you to move away from what your happy with. My point of commenting in this thread was your nonsense that pfsense or any other gateway/router distro has to be some big box thing. Which is just not true at all.

Why would I move my modem out of my kitchen, that's where my main and only phone line hookup is, and as I said, the point where it's mounted is in an anonymous and little visible corner of the kitchen, which also happens to be the center point of the house. moving it would be, inefficient.

Well to compare with my 610, it would have to be a bigger box. Unless you can find me a box that's as small as my 610, with 6 NIC's and 2 wireless transceivers with powerful MIMO antennas.

DD-WRT has nightly builds right?

I wish the DD-WRT team would just release a "stable" release of SP2. Its about time they do it

No nightlys that I know of, I think you can compile them yourself (maybe / unsure)

Usually about 1 a month lately, sometimes more

There are a load of stable builds, just have to try a few until you find one that your router likes

18777 was very stable for me, as is 20119 I have running atm, haven't flashed this latest build yet

FTP has all the builds, ignore their router database, its out of date

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

"with 6 NIC's"

Well for starters it doesn't have 6 nics, it has a 4 port switch and wan nic.

And we already went over wireless - I would never combine my wireless and gateway/firewall into 1 box. I run AP off my wired for wireless - this is more robust setup... You already stated your running one as just an AP. That is my point.

As to why I wouldn't have my modem in the kitchen -- because its a KITCHEN! that is why ;) Having network gear in your kitchen makes no sense to me. So what if your phone line comes in there. Those are easy enough to move..

As to size the box I already posted is smaller than your router already. And it has 3 nics - internet, lan and other could be use for say your wireless network to isolate it on a vlan vs your normal lan, or dmz segment, whatever. But sure if you want more ports in the same box

Here is one

http://linitx.com/product/12508

6 ports, and still smaller than your current router ;)

Dimensions: 256mm x 158mm x 44mm (10x6.25x1.75) while your router is 2.6 x 12 x 10 inches

**** you can put a full 2.5HDD in there or SSD if you want. My point is your statement that to run a full blown router distro with FULL firewall features and the cpu and ram to actual do stuff does not have to be in some big box these days.

I don't want to argue with you, or have any desire to have you change your setup.. I could give 2 cents what you run, its just your statement that you have to use a lot of power or have some big box, etc.. Just not founded in reality these days.

If you are happy, then I am happy for you. Your network does what you need/want it to do, I have not run a 1 box switch/gateway/firewall/wireless box in years and years and years. You can do some amazing thing with the tiny boxes for sure - with the right firmware of them.. They can be amazing to be sure - but just not up to what I need in my setup.

To be honest I don't see every going back to hardware based router - running it a VM is the cats meow if you ask me. I can bring up other distros in seconds to act as my gateway/firewall - just use the same mac for wan interface connected to my cable modem. And shazam I have a different router as my gateway to the internet. I play with development code of pfsense, if something goes wrong - click I just reboot from a snapshot I took before I made any changes or updated the OS and router is back on line in seconds, etc.

Be we are way off topic here as well - this thread was about ? if dd-wrt project was dead because of OP lack of being able to navigate a website and find the current versions, or the forums of said project that talks about all the stuff in works, etc. As stated already there are very current builds you can use, etc.

And we already went over wireless - I would never combine my wireless and gateway/firewall into 1 box. I run AP off my wired for wireless - this is more robust setup... You already stated your running one as just an AP. That is my point.

Actually that's not your point, since that one is running merely because I got it for free, otherwise I wouldn't be running it at all, it's only real purpose is as a switch and to give me 5 bar coverage in the upstairs bedroom instead of 3 bars :p

As fro DD-Wrt itself, I do run it on the upstairs router because it's a v1 while the downstairs one is V2 and runs tomato. personally I despise DD-WRT, it's slow compared to Tomato doesn't have the awesome Tomato QoS and I just don't like their interface, luckily I don't need to deal with the upstairs one at all after setting it up since it doesn't really do anything, I don't know what version it runs but I'm not going to bother updating it, it does what it does and is rock solid doing it.

I was using a DDWRT modified kong build from 7/12 on my Linksys E3000 but i decided to hop to Shibby's newest tomato build 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-104 K26 USB Big-VPN

The newest experimental builds of DDWRT certainly have promise, they were in my experience alot faster than the year+ old builds but I couldn't get my wireless N radios to function properly. I swapped to Tomato about a month ago, and I'm staying put until a new version of DDWRT comes out.

I was using a DDWRT modified kong build from 7/12 on my Linksys E3000 but i decided to hop to Shibby's newest tomato build 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-104 K26 USB Big-VPN

The newest experimental builds of DDWRT certainly have promise, they were in my experience alot faster than the year+ old builds but I couldn't get my wireless N radios to function properly. I swapped to Tomato about a month ago, and I'm staying put until a new version of DDWRT comes out.

A new version was released today

I saw, what router do you have? Did you try it?

Running it now, I have the Linksys Cisco WRT160NL

The test build released before this one was solid for me too so was a bit dubious to update as everything was fine but so far so good but only 3 hours uptime atm

Seems like a few people are having issues with TL-WR1043ND routers though, losing their WAN port or something, more info here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=166624

is that new version stable?

It has been for the last 3 hours, but couldn't say for a few days yet, most unstable builds will last fine for a few days then lock up or I lose WAN or Wireless

18777, 20119 were 100% stable for me - see how this one does in a week or so

It has been for the last 3 hours, but couldn't say for a few days yet, most unstable builds will last fine for a few days then lock up or I lose WAN or Wireless

18777, 20119 were 100% stable for me - see how this one does in a week or so

well, i'm running it on a Linksys WRT600N. I'll report in a couple of days to say how it's going. It at least hasn't bricked it.

"it's only real purpose is as a switch"

Oh no -- your using an extra switch?? What is the world coming too? ;) You mean you have devices that are not all combined into 1 box in your kitchen!

"As fro DD-Wrt itself, I do run it on the upstairs router because it's a v1 while the downstairs one is V2 and runs tomato"

:blink: ??? Did you think of swapping them?? Why do you need to run 3rd party firmware if all it is a switch and couple extra bars..

So you use a firmware you say you despise - but clearly must be better than the native or why would you use it. But then you don't just swap out devices so you can use the firmware you like as your actual gateway/router?? :blink: :blink:

Your reasoning for running 3rdp party firmware vs native - is the same reasoning to why I run pfsense, or any other full blown distro. If the soho off the shelf devices were the get all to end all, then there would be no need to run 3rd party firmware on them, or for some of us to run other linux/bsd based distro's to act as our gateway/firewall etc..

You have you reason why you run 3rd party, and I have my reasons why that is not enough for me and need to run something more.. Your happy with what your doing, I am happy with what I am doing. Enough said.

I got DD-WRT v24-sp2 setup on my Linksys WRT400N just the way I like it and don't really have any desire to mess with upgrading and returning all my settings.

Some of the other firmwares look appealing. One thing that I utilize a lot is I use OpenDNS for the kiddo devices. With DD-WRT and I can add iptable entries that lock the kiddo devices into always using OpenDNS for DNS lookups and it is a pretty decent setup. They can probably get around it if they learned something and tried but they don't. At the same time, I want all my other devices to use my ISP DNS. DD-WRT handles this requirement well with its feature set. I'm curious how well other custom firmwares would do with it.

"it's only real purpose is as a switch"

Oh no -- your using an extra switch?? What is the world coming too? ;) You mean you have devices that are not all combined into 1 box in your kitchen!

"As fro DD-Wrt itself, I do run it on the upstairs router because it's a v1 while the downstairs one is V2 and runs tomato"

:blink: ??? Did you think of swapping them?? Why do you need to run 3rd party firmware if all it is a switch and couple extra bars..

So you use a firmware you say you despise - but clearly must be better than the native or why would you use it. But then you don't just swap out devices so you can use the firmware you like as your actual gateway/router?? :blink: :blink:

Your reasoning for running 3rdp party firmware vs native - is the same reasoning to why I run pfsense, or any other full blown distro. If the soho off the shelf devices were the get all to end all, then there would be no need to run 3rd party firmware on them, or for some of us to run other linux/bsd based distro's to act as our gateway/firewall etc..

You have you reason why you run 3rd party, and I have my reasons why that is not enough for me and need to run something more.. Your happy with what your doing, I am happy with what I am doing. Enough said.

Why would I swap them? Why would I run the gateway/router stairs when the mode is downstairs and more central in the house ? And actually I would run the original firmware on the upstairs one, had it allowed me to set up the network like I wanted to, but it doesn't, so.... Tough technically, that was before I laid down the cable and had to use the wireless to bridge the networks, so now I don't actually need to run dd-wrt anymore. But as I said, it's rock solid and stale so I'm to messing with it. But if I had had the cable there for the start,it would never have had dd-wrt.

As to size the box I already posted is smaller than your router already. And it has 3 nics - internet, lan and other could be use for say your wireless network to isolate it on a vlan vs your normal lan, or dmz segment, whatever. But sure if you want more ports in the same box

My point exactly, after all as you've already stated you don't even need a dedicated box for it anyway using VM on equipment you already have on your network, but after correcting his nonsense statements he then turned to personally attack my grammar, rather than staying to the point. Which is a obvious sign when someone knows they're wrong, or usually the common thing today is to brand someone as a troll.

Either way you can use whatever you want, after all it's your home. My experience from using DD-WRT is a bad one. Their stable releases are years out of date and their newer ones they bring out twice a month are usually buggy as ****. Not to mention the wireless quality is pure crap and that's from using it on two previous Linksys routers and a D-Link. So I've had my fair share of running it.

When I moved to pfSense, man... what a difference. Stable, amazing firewall, unlimited setting to play with and best of all, free. (under statement as DD-WRT is free, but doesn't even compare)

I got DD-WRT v24-sp2 setup on my Linksys WRT400N just the way I like it and don't really have any desire to mess with upgrading and returning all my settings.

Some of the other firmwares look appealing. One thing that I utilize a lot is I use OpenDNS for the kiddo devices. With DD-WRT and I can add iptable entries that lock the kiddo devices into always using OpenDNS for DNS lookups and it is a pretty decent setup. They can probably get around it if they learned something and tried but they don't. At the same time, I want all my other devices to use my ISP DNS. DD-WRT handles this requirement well with its feature set. I'm curious how well other custom firmwares would do with it.

Just goto administration > backup and save the settings to a file, thats how I upgrade > wipe > restore and all my settings are exactly the same as they were before I wiped

well firstly, I didn't attack your grammar, I corrected a word you seemed to have issues with since you wrote it wrong twice, in separate posts. and now you know the difference between a hole and the whole thing.

secondly, as was explained before, his solution wouldn't work in my circumstance in any case. neither would yours, but you have still neglected to reply to that post, so.

Also why does a release have to be brand new ? what's wrong a a release that's a few years old when it does the job it's supposed to and does it well.

Just goto administration > backup and save the settings to a file, thats how I upgrade > wipe > restore and all my settings are exactly the same as they were before I wiped

usually when upgrading from the same releases, DD-WRT->DD-WRT, Tomato->Tomato(here you might need to differentiate between builds) you generally don't need to wipe.