Bloody Apple and its obsession with glass screens.

Gorilla glass was used pre iPhone 4. I believe they use a diff kind of glass now. Not exactly sure what it is.

The annoying part is nobody knows for sure what glass Apple uses. Neither company will comment on it. :/

yep, apple glue their screens to the glass so you have to replace both. They claim it is to stop air or some stupid reason, clearly the real reason is that they want you to buy a new phone, hence why it takes forever to change the screen. They do smash really easily, i know loads of people that have smashed their screens, multiple times for some people even with a silicone case.

The annoying part is nobody knows for sure what glass Apple uses. Neither company will comment on it. :/

They get their glass from a company called Lens Technology. Chinese manufacturer.

They get their glass from a company called Lens Technology. Chinese manufacturer.

Last time I checked no one knows for sure that's really the case.

I am ranting at Apple. I love my iPad and my daughter loves her iPhone. But the glass is so thin that it breaks easily. Ok so it's more resistant to scratches, but fragile never the less. They also should have made the front screen as easy to remove/replace as the back. The original post was meant as a light hearted story that would make people chuckle.

All my friends who have iPhones have dropped the phones and all have smashed or cracked. They are small and slippery and easy to drop. I know now that a big rubber case is the way to go. She used to have a hard case but it only covered the back and had to be removed to dock it.

Call it bad parenting by buying her a replacement screen if you will, but I'd rather that than cut herself of the glass. She is 15 and knows the value of a ?. It was an accident after all. The iPad was on her lap and she was holding her iPhone to her ear and then dropped it.

Plus getting her a crap phone just to teach her a lesson is money wasted. The replacement screens are only ?27. I always said I would get her a ?10 alcatel phone if she broke hers, but is was more a threat than a promise.

She is buying a rubber case and has put aside ?30 of her own money in case of future breakages.

Last time I checked no one knows for sure that's really the case.

I did a google search and thats the company that was listed...

It is also listed here when talking about the delays with the white iPhone...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/18/white-iphone-4-delay-the-challenges-faced-by-apples-glass-supp/

According to Chinese newspaper 21st Century Business Herald, the problem stems from a little-known Chinese factory by the name of Lens Technology, which is apparently responsible for transforming fine raw glass into the majority of iPhone glass panels out there (and contrary to previous reports, there's no mention of Corning here). Read on to find out what's causing our invisible hero to stall.

yep, apple glue their screens to the glass so you have to replace both. They claim it is to stop air or some stupid reason, clearly the real reason is that they want you to buy a new phone, hence why it takes forever to change the screen. They do smash really easily, i know loads of people that have smashed their screens, multiple times for some people even with a silicone case.

actually all high qualty screens are glued. it prevents the light from bounching between the glass and the display causing refractions and loss of viewability in daylight. also it technically makes it easier to change.

Have you ever heard of an Otter Box Defender Series case? They work.

I have this case on my iPhone. I've dropped it lots of times to test it

I've dropped my iPhone 4 several times on the factory floor (concrete) at work, and once it fell out of my pocket coming down the stairs and fell onto the hard tiles below. Only damage it has is a small dent in the bottom right corner of the back piece - which is just a cheap knockoff I bought when my factory one had scratches all over the camera lens.

Maybe I've just been really lucky as I don't even keep a case on my phone and by making this post, I've probably jinxed myself and it will shatter tomorrow.

Actually I'm a huge Windows Phone fan. The only time I have owned an iDevice is when I had an iPhone 4 64GB model that Verizon sent me for free after the KIN debacle. I sold it within a couple days without opening it.

The Lumia 900 uses Gorilla Glass as well so if the iPhone is going to have an issue with it so would the Lumia. In fact Gorilla Glass is pretty much the standard for mid/high-range consumer devices that have glass faces on them these days.

If you have a kid that drops things over and over again it is the kids fault, not the manufacturers fault.

The Lumia 900 has a bezel, if you drop it, it would have to be screen down on a sharp object that's sticking up for it to break. With the iPhone 4(S) it's almost impossible for it to drop in a way that it won't at least crack a little bit if it lands on anything hard.

http://www.squaretrade.co.uk/uk-iphone

They cover iPads too. I've thought about it for my iPad 3 but haven't jumped on it because it doesn't leave my sight. I have my phone on my carrier's insurance plan here in the states but thankfully I have yet to tap it $150 out of my pocket if I do and Square Trade would be $50...if only I had known before I locked in with Verizon on that part ><.

*Edit* Damn never noticed the fine print about less than 30 days old! I guess maybe on future purchases ><

There are a lot of others screens out there that use gorilla glass that do not break as easily. Besides, would rather have a plastic screen that doesnt shatter than a glass screen that does. Yea, can be the most careful person in the world...but everyone messes up at some point. Only takes once as well.

The best quality stuff shouldnt break so easily either. What it is called QUALITY.

Never said it cannot happen to androids. Apple products are more susceptible to it...a lot more susceptible.

Why lots of people/stores sell kits and repair iPhone screens.

Your argument here is invalid as every single fall / drop of a product will shatter depending on the angle it falls and hits the floor, as well as the surface it lands on.

Here's a photo of my iphone4 after being dropped on concrete from 3ft in the air ... THREE times ....

dyM8k.jpg

One small issue with the bottom right. Glass is perfect on front and back other than that.

So no ... other products aren't better if they use the same glass. They USE THE SAME GLASS. It's all about coincidental positioning of fall and impact. I'd much rather have a nice metal and glass device than a cheap ass plastic thing thank you very much.

So if I write an article in some local Dutch newspaper stating Apple gets its glass from a company on Mars, it must be true right?

Do you just like to argue about silly things or what? I stated that I found that while doing a google search. I in no way said it was 100 percent factual.

Now go away

• Like 2

Do you just like to argue about silly things or what? I stated that I found that while doing a google search. I in no way said it was 100 percent factual.

Now go away

Just put .Neo on ignore, that's what I did and Neowin is far more enjoyable now.