Meet the browser: Chrome Next

Google's Chrome forum is littered with complaints about this "big" interface jump. Adding these flags to Chrome shortcut's target field and relaunching helped put things back in order:

--high-dpi-support=1 --force-device-scale-factor=1

On 10/23/2016 at 6:03 AM, vanx said:

Google's Chrome forum is littered with complaints about this "big" interface jump. Adding these flags to Chrome shortcut's target field and relaunching helped put things back in order:

--high-dpi-support=1 --force-device-scale-factor=1

This is too odd. I am also on a 1440p setup and my tab sizes haven't changed at all :s 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steven P. said:

This is too odd. I am also on a 1440p setup and my tab sizes haven't changed at all :s 

Baffles me -- I am on 1920x1080 and 125% DPI -- but at least I am glad that I was able to find a way to override it. Just hope it sticks and not become like that profile tab in the top right corner that was made mandatory.

13 hours ago, vanx said:

Baffles me -- I am on 1920x1080 and 125% DPI -- but at least I am glad that I was able to find a way to override it. Just hope it sticks and not become like that profile tab in the top right corner that was made mandatory.

Oh well that makes sense then, 125% DPI is what causes the larger GUI in Chrome, I know this because I had it when I was playing around with 1440p after I first got the new monitors.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just updated to 55.0.2883.87 m and the tab bar has become "fat" again -- in that there seems to be extra padding at the top and bottom of each tab's icon and text -- and the original shortcut modification no longer works.

Does anyone have a workaround?

Paste this into your address bar;

chrome://flags/#top-chrome-md

Set it from Touch or Default to Normal, then restart Chrome. If you want fat tabs, set it to Touch (which looks great on a 1440p monitor, IMO).

• Like 3

2016-12-30 10_44_15-Settings.png

New "about" dialog in v57? Was sent in as a news tip (not really something to write about imo) but the toolbar (with settings and search bar) also looks quite different than I am used to (see below). An extension or more top-chrome changes?

SNAG-0049.png

• Like 1

Not an extention as far as I know, I have that on version 55.0.2883.87 m as well.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:12 PM, Jeroen S. said:

Not an extention as far as I know, I have that on version 55.0.2883.87 m as well.

Did you have to enable something in chrome://flags?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It is better than Firefox? Maybe I will give it a try..

Well Neowin uses Business apps for domains, so my email and calendar is all into Google, I now have an Android phone with Chrome browser syncing across devices with one account, it's handy. I have Firefox installed for testing things on this website (ads, bugs/theme issues etc).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gary7 said:

It is better than Firefox? Maybe I will give it a try..

I still cannot decide if it is or not. I leave both installed, however I use Chromium rather than Chrome. Here is my take. Overall, I think Firefox is a better web browser, offers more customization and doesnt have all the google tracking built in. However, with media rich websites I noticed Chrome seems to be smoother. By smoother, I mean switching between multiple tabs full of media, or from a media tab to something else, there is no noticeable lag. With Firefox, I feel there is a second or two it takes to catch up, but once it is loaded, the browser seems responsive. e-10s should help with performance, but I think based on my browsing habits Chrome/Chromium works better. Give it a try.

I've reverted to stable channel because I was getting some script errors in the console on various sites (including Neowin) that eventually made the tab unresponsive :/ But since uninstalling and reinstalling, then syncing my account I see that "My Download Box" is no longer available in the App Store for Chrome, anyone know why?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I've reverted to stable channel because I was getting some script errors in the console on various sites (including Neowin) that eventually made the tab unresponsive :/ But since uninstalling and reinstalling, then syncing my account I see that "My Download Box" is no longer available in the App Store for Chrome, anyone know why?

is/was this the link to download the Extension? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/downloads-your-download-b/gjihnjejboipjmadkpmknccijhibnpfe?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog i get a 503 error i think on the page

On 1/14/2017 at 0:33 AM, Demz said:

Yeah that's the one, but upon looking around the web (searching for it) it appears that the developer asks to view download history with the extension, and maybe that's why it was pulled. Perhaps an update violated privacy?  I am using this one atm, doesn't look half as nice but does the job https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/download-manager/daoidaoebhfcgccdpgjjcbdginkofmfe

BTW I can confirm that Chrome beta doesn't appear to play nice with the ad codes, stable channel is much better at loading Neowin, which kind of sucks because I know a lot of people will use beta coming here, and possibly blacklist us :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demz said:

does anyone know of a Good Easyt to use " Video Downloader "  one that i can use to get Vids from Youtube?  

got an extension