Mall ordered USA flag removed from kiddie train

Yeah, I don't think everything about America is awesome so I must be a bigot :rolleyes:

Hey I think I hear a foghorn

BOOOORRRRRINNNNG!

I never understood this sort of hatred towards Americans by so many foreigners at times. My whole time living in Europe plenty of people in my age group had this sort oh negativity for the US yet I can probably count the number of people that had actually visited it personally on one hand. People shouldn't believe everything they read in the news and many here clearly don't understand that there can be a difference in having pride in your nation and following it blindly.

With regards to the order of flying flags I thought it was commonly known that you fly the flag of the country you're currently in higher than any others. Pretty much every country I've been to I've seen them flying their flags this way. Any time you go by government buildings it's generally the National flag on the highest pole, followed by any provincial/state/house/etc...

Disclaimer: I am a leftist European and used to think in a similar way as you described.

What changed it? Two things: 1. Visiting the US some years ago and 2. getting to know Americans well, thus learning what makes them tick. There are cultural differences between the two sides of the Atlantic, and one would think both sides would acknowledge them. Instead some individuals keep proselytising or wanting to change their counterparts on the other side of the pond.

Quite sad how self-proclaimed intellectuals can be so closed minded instead of learning from others. I have, and I'm glad about it.

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't think everything about America is awesome so I must be a bigot :rolleyes:

BOOOORRRRRINNNNG!

And now you're going off the deep end. Don't own up to it Javik just deny it lmao.

BOOOORRRRRINNNNG!

You aren't even reading!

You do not care at all about what any American has to say.

I have nothing else to say on this matter, it's clear an Impasse has been reached. If anyone has anything meaningful to say, however, I'll pop back in.

My country isn't poking it's nose into the politics of almost every other country in the middle east, telling them what they can and cannot do, and contributing to the destabilisation of world peace in the process. When your country stops poking it's nose into others business and stops acting like world bully, I'll happily withdraw my criticism and leave you in your bubble of ignorance.

Javik! Listen to yourself, man. Do you agree 100% with everyone your government does? Do you believe your government, and all the stereotypes about your country, are an accurate representation of yourself? Does everybody where you live think and act and feel exactly the same? Or are you all individuals, with your own thought processes, coloured by your culture yes, but not defined by it?

If the latter is the case, please consider the fact that every other country is largely the same way. Full of average, normal people who just want to go about their life, make friends, go to the pub or the shops or whatever, work to make some money, have a nice family, and enjoy themselves. They likely aren't too happy with how their government runs things, because most people at least slightly distrust that authority, or at most strongly disagree with it, at least in some areas. Cultures, governments, perspectives will be different, but people are people anywhere you go. Will everyone please keep this in mind when posting? Generalising gets you nowhere.

• Like 3

When you have a series of posts showing your ignorance towards Americans people tend to see who you really are. I don't think any Americans here take you seriously at all. You're generalization and ignorance towards Americans is laughable.

You're kidding right? You just labeled the entire population of Europe as morons, I'd say that's a generalisation as well.

Do I agree with everything my government does? No, I do not. Nor do I think my culture is perfect, there are parts that are not. And that's where I feel the difference lies, I accept the parts of my culture that I dislike and advocate changing them. If you say the same thing to a lot of Americans you just get labeled as anti-American.

You're kidding right? You just labeled the entire population of Europe as morons, I'd say that's a generalisation as well.

So every European gets on neowin.net and spouts generalized bullcrap about americans? What?

Do I agree with everything my government does? No, I do not. Nor do I think my culture is perfect, there are parts that are not. And that's where I feel the difference lies, I accept the parts of my culture that I dislike and advocate changing them. If you say the same thing to a lot of Americans you just get labeled as anti-American.

A lot of Americans want change in the U.S and i'm one of them but when a foreigner keeps piling on it gets a bit much especially when you don't live here. How many Americans complain about your country? How many advocate change in your country?

If you say the same thing to a lot of Americans you just get labeled as anti-American.

You go into each thread with these preconceived notions and then wonder why?

A lot of Americans want change in the U.S and i'm one of them but when a foreigner keeps piling on it gets a bit much especially when you don't live here. How many Americans complain about your country? How many advocate change in your country?

British people and Canadians in particular are mocked on US television all the damn time, just watch Family Guy and you'll know what I mean. But I don't get on my high horse about it and cry about being victimised I just laugh it off and get on with my life.

People might be people every where you go. But everyone also has an opinion about their government. As a Retired Marine, it doesn't matter if you agree with your orders or not. You do your job. Period. But to bash a person's right to fly their country's flag is wrong and anyone who says it's right for someone to tell you NOT to, needs their head bashed in.

So every European gets on neowin.net and spouts generalized bullcrap about americans? What?

Nope. I just see Americans/others on here are generalising about how Britain/Europe thinks.

British people and Canadians in particular are mocked on US television all the damn time, just watch Family Guy and you'll know what I mean. But I don't get on my high horse about it and cry about being victimised I just laugh it off and get on with my life.

Family guy that's it? That's it that's you're example? Americans are mocked all over the place in Europe.

Family guy that's it? That's it that's you're example? Americans are mocked all over the place in Europe.

It's happened on the Simpsons as well, also pretty frequently. And those are just examples of 2 prominent shows, I'm sure I'd find others if I bothered watching them. I haven't seen any examples of Americans being mocked on British TV however.

It's happened on the Simpsons as well, also pretty frequently. And those are just examples of 2 prominent shows, I'm sure I'd find others if I bothered watching them. I haven't seen any examples of Americans being mocked on British TV however.

What does TV have to do with anything, though? =/

Family Guy is a crude comedy cartoon and you're actually using it to gain perspective of the American people. Well no wonder you think the way you do. Please don't ever tune into South Park you'd probably boil in rage :laugh: More seriously.. comedy is largely culture based. I watch some UK comedy shows and honestly, I find it pretty dull. But obviously that's because I don't live there and it's not my culture.

What does TV have to do with anything, though? =/

I was asked for examples of where British people are mocked in US culture and I provided them. Whether we care to admit it or not, TV is a large part of all our culture.

Family Guy is a crude comedy cartoon and you're actually using it to gain perspective of the American people. Well no wonder you think the way you do. Please don't ever tune into South Park you'd probably boil in rage :laugh: More seriously.. comedy is largely culture based. I watch some UK comedy shows and honestly, I find it pretty dull. But obviously that's because I don't live there and it's not my culture.

That's just my point though I don't get annoyed by it, I actually find South Park to be really funny, because unlike a lot of posters in this thread (seemingly) my skin isn't wafer thin.

Hmm, ok. So how do you explain SCTV? It was a comedy show. A CANADIAN comedy show. They made fun of their own selves. Americans also make fun of themselves. Also you can look at Monty Python or even Benny Hill. Those shows made it seem like Brits were all crazy and stupid. Before you start generalizing, you best check your facts.

Semper Fi!!!

I was asked for examples of where British people are mocked in US culture and I provided them. Whether we care to admit it or not, TV is a large part of all our culture.

That's just my point though I don't get annoyed by it, I actually find South Park to be really funny, because unlike a lot of posters in this thread (seemingly) my skin isn't wafer thin.

Ah, sorry. I don't watch TV so I didn't realise.. but I suppose it does for some people.

However, if you are basing your entire perception of a country based on it's TV programmes (especially cartoons like that)... "you're gonna have a bad time". Comedy relies heavily on exaggerating stereotypes. It is in no way a reflection of the way the average person thinks.

• Like 1

Ah, sorry. I don't watch TV so I didn't realise.. but I suppose it does for some people.

However, if you are basing your entire perception of a country based on it's TV programmes (especially cartoons like that)... "you're gonna have a bad time". Comedy relies heavily on exaggerating stereotypes. It is in no way a reflection of the way the average person thinks.

Sorry, I appear I may not have been completely clear about that but I largely base my perception of cultures on my observation of the actions of normal people, I only used these TV shows as a source to cite my example, that doesn't mean I think every American thinks like that. Out of my 330 odd Facebook friends about 2/3 are Americans, as I stated I just tend to gel better with Americans from a certain demographic.

True, I don't watch tv either but the family guy isn't a true representation of what Americans think.

Sorry, I appear I may not have been completely clear about that but I largely base my perception of cultures on my observation of the actions of normal people, I only used these TV shows as a source to cite my example, that doesn't mean I think every American thinks like that. Out of my 330 odd Facebook friends about 2/3 are Americans, as I stated I just tend to gel better with Americans from a certain demographic.

I'm glad to hear that then :) In general I find it best to deal with individuals instead of saying "all you X's are Y!" ... that just stirs up flames and doesn't invite people to think about what you've said, it just puts them on the defensive, you know what I mean?

In fact, a lot of times, it's fun to go way past the normal boundaries of stereotypes to point out how silly they actually are. Case in point is South Park The Movie, where everything is blamed on Canada.

So you base ideas on shows, but get a long better with Americans from a certain area or culture? Makes no damn sense. Americans are just that AMERICAN. Sheesh!