SAS hero jailed: Sergeant sentenced to two years after gun found

And you're not anti-gun? Could of fooled me. I have yet to see a pro gun statement come from you.

I'd love to have my own pistol that I could clean, customise, learn how to handle responsibly, go target shooting, etc.. but I can't, I'm not going to cry about it, I'd rather not have the free availability of guns to 'regular joe' who could one day snap and go on a shooting spree over my 'enjoyment' of owning a weapon.

Thanks for clarifying :) I am personally fine with this law, considering the "gun culture" in the UK (i.e. I don't feel unsafe without a gun here and I don't believe anyone should be allowed to carry guns here), but considering the problem with guns in America and your views on guns, I can see why you wouldn't be happy with such a law. I think it's just important to see this from the view of someone who lives in the UK?most of us would probably feel more unsafe if people (like this man or otherwise) were allowed to have guns, and if the police hadn't punished this man for him having this gun.

There's even a story where a soldier from the U.K turned in a firearm that he found personally to a police officer because he thought it was his duty to turn it in and he faced 5 years in prison for just handing in a gun he found! The headline of the story has since changed to saying he walked free though but he was close to serving time just for turning in a gun! I think that's insane too.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. At the time when I first found out about the story it kinda made me angry more because of the law than anything else. Sure he broke the law he as to do the time. Still think its a crappy law, which I know the majority of people there think its a just law. I mean I have a handgun sitting right next to me now and I look at it and think if I was in the U.K id get 2 years for that??

You cry ad nauseum when people pass comment on US gun laws about how it's none of our business and that we should poke our noses out, even though our rationalisation for being annoyed is usually pretty similar, and yet you are now doing EXACTLY what you complain about me and other anti-gunners doing time, after time, after time.

Heavens above, the hypocrisy is so staggering it's not even a joke.

You cry ad nauseum when people pass comment on US gun laws about how it's none of our business and that we should poke our noses out, even though our rationalisation for being annoyed is usually pretty similar, and yet you are now doing EXACTLY what you complain about me and other anti-gunners doing time, after time, after time.

Heavens above, the hypocrisy is so staggering it's not even a joke.

Want to know the truth? I do it because of you. You butt in pretty much every thread that deals with Americans just to criticize us. So I figure if you want to play that game, i'll play it to and watch everyone **** and complain about it.

There's even a story where a soldier from the U.K turned in a firearm that he found personally to a police officer because he thought it was his duty to turn it in and he faced 5 years in prison for just handing in a gun he found! The headline of the story has since changed to saying he walked free though but he was close to serving time just for turning in a gun! I think that's insane too.

Yes, I would completely disagree with that, if there was no proof the gun he handed in was his (i.e. no proof he was lying).

Want to know the truth? I do it because of you. You butt in pretty much every thread that deals with Americans just to criticize us. So I figure if you want to play that game, i'll play it to and watch everyone **** and complain about it.

It's a forum, a place of discussion. I think people are allowed to offer their differing opinions and not call it 'butting in'.

So you start 2 threads about gun control? Very adult of you.

You believe everything you read then?

While I am not familiar with that story, if what you are saying is true, then there is probably more to the story than what you are telling us.

It's a bit of a daft story but it shows how serious firearms are taken.

Yeah so serious that someone trying to be helpful was nearly put in prison...Iron fist.

Yeah so serious that someone trying to be helpful was nearly put in prison...Iron fist.

If you want to remain deluded then that's fine.

You might also want to link the the updated article rather than the one with limited details - http://www.thisissur...tail/story.html

Apparently having strict guns laws means you're living under an iron fist.. laughable.

If you want to remain deluded then that's fine.

You might also want to link the the updated article rather than the one with limited details - http://www.thisissur...tail/story.html

Apparently having strict guns laws means you're living under an iron fist.. laughable.

So yes, as I thought there was more to the story that he left out.

Lol iron fist... Yeah ok...

You keep trying to turn this in to a US vs UK thread... Then conveniently ignored my previous thread.

Do you have any idea of some of the daft things your government has banned you from having at their discretion?

The difference here is the people of the United Kingdom lobbied to have the firearms legislation amended after the Dunblane tragedy.

That's quite the opposite from 'iron fist'.

Wow, that's awfully mature of you. It's a message board and people will voice their opinions whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Stick to the NRA and stay off the Internet. I'm not complaining at all I just find it extremely amusing that you're doing what you're complaining about me doing.

And as a wise bird once told me... If you don't like it, don't come here ( :laugh:)

You keep trying to turn this in to a US vs UK thread... Then conveniently ignored my previous thread.

Do you have any idea of some of the daft things your government has banned you from having at their discretion?

The difference here is the people of the United Kingdom lobbied to have the firearms legislation amended after the Dunblane tragedy.

And after dunblane, most of the public supported the handgun ban and the majority of people handed over their weapons. We're not so insecure here that we feel our freedom is threatened if we can't kill something :laugh:

Why did a guy almost get 5 years for trying to be a good Samaritan? A government willing to come down hard on even law abiding citizens is ruling by an Iron fist to me.

Wow, that's awfully mature of you. It's a message board and people will voice their opinions whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Stick to the NRA and stay off the Internet. I'm not complaining at all I just find it extremely amusing that you're doing what you're complaining about me doing.

And as a wise bird once told me... If you don't like it, don't come here ( :laugh:)

And after dunblane, most of the public supported the handgun ban and the majority of people handed over their weapons. We're not so insecure here that we feel our freedom is threatened if we can't kill something :laugh:

LOL How ignorant of you. I feel my freedom is threatened because if guns are banned I can't kill something lmao. O..K

LOL How ignorant of you. I feel my freedom is threatened because if guns are banned I can't kill something lmao. O..K

If that's how you feel. Also, where's the ignorance?

We've had a few massacres in the UK, mainly in the 80s and late 90s and banned firearms which for the most part solved the problem. America's had quite a few of the Aurora cinema shootings over the years and they see a surge in guns. I guess it's just down to different cultures but I don't see the need for constant bashing of Britain or countries which support strict gun laws.

It's a joke, hence my use of the :laugh: smiley

And just FYI, stress can kill ;) maybe you need to chill?

And after dunblane, most of the public supported the handgun ban and the majority of people handed over their weapons.

Ha I completely forgot that bit... but i think it needs emphasising. We CHOSE to hand our hand guns in, as a nation we stood up and took that step.

That's not being ruled by an iron fist, that's TRUE FREEDOM!

Why did a guy almost get 5 years for trying to be a good Samaritan? A government willing to come down hard on even law abiding citizens is ruling by an Iron fist to me.

Time to read the full story and not just the 'local papers' version.

If that's how you feel. Also, where's the ignorance?

Where's the ignorance. He's ignorant for thinking that just because we have guns it gives us the right to kill. Or if our guns are token away it takes away our right to kill. We don't have a right to kill and who ever thinks that is out of their mind. Self defense is not a right to kill its a right to prolong ones life when threatened by deadly force. If you some how equate that to the right to kill someone for no reason then I don't know what to tell you.

Ha I completely forgot that bit... but i think it needs emphasising. We CHOSE to hand our hand guns in, as a nation we stood up and took that step.

That's not being ruled by an iron fist, that's TRUE FREEDOM!

Time to read the full story and not just the 'local papers' version.

So the majority of people here want to keep their firearms isn't that TRUE FREEDOM?

Sometimes true freedom is forgoing one's own selfishness for the good of the many, being free doesn't mean you have to fulfil every desire you have regardless of the harm to others. And try to break into Fort Knox and steal the gold. See how 'free' you really are to do whatever the hell you want?

Where's the ignorance. He's ignorant for thinking that just because we have guns it gives us the right to kill. Or if our guns are token away it takes away our right to kill. We don't have a right to kill and who ever thinks that is out of their mind. Self defense is not a right to kill its a right to prolong ones life when threatened by deadly force. If you some how equate that to the right to kill someone for no reason then I don't know what to tell you.

So the majority of people here want to keep their firearms isn't that TRUE FREEDOM?

Living without the fear of needing to defends one's self with a weapon is true freedom I find.

You can't even remember what you're arguing can you? Haha!

Yes you can keep your guns, by all means enjoy them but the point we were establishing is that the soldier in the original story got the punishment he was due.

Sometimes true freedom is forgoing one's own selfishness for the good of the many, being free doesn't mean you have to fulfil every desire you have regardless of the harm to others. And try to break into Fort Knox and steal the gold. See how 'free' you really are to do whatever the hell you want?

So everyone should give up their firearms here when the majority wants to keep them? What? Especially when criminals get them regardless. Gun bans have been tried here and failed.

You can't even remember what you're arguing can you? Haha!

Yes you can keep your guns, by all means enjoy them but the point we were establishing is that the soldier in the original story got the punishment he was due.

Yes and I'd welcome him here if he decided to leave the U.K. I'd love to go shooting with him too.

Living without the fear of needing to defends one's self with a weapon is true freedom I find.

No it's not its still living in fear and you all as a nation let fear win!

No it's not its still living in fear and you all as a nation let fear win!

Fear from what?

I've said before I'd think people who feel the need to own a gun because there's a chance they could be killed live in fear.