• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 8 PRO/ and ENT x64 and X86 VOLUME leaks!

Brandon H    2,692

its illegal in my country to use ubuntu or any linux distro that can't process CSS, which is almost all of them.

what country do you live in? i wouldn't think its possible to ban linux distros 0_o

devHead    1,963

I don't see how this so called leak is going to benefit anybody because they won't be able to do anything with it since they cannot activate it. It's basically a waste of time.

Thank you! What is the point of these being uploaded and downloaded if they're crippleware until they are officially released, first to MSDN and Technet subscribers on the 15 August.

srbeen    76

what country do you live in? i wouldn't think its possible to ban linux distros 0_o

Canada.

linux uses DeCSS library to bypass CSS restrictions on DVDs to allow them to play, as CSS licensing was never given to 'open source' systems. Since using this library is bypassing a digital lock, its in violation of the copyright reform act/Bill C-32 passed early July 2012 in Canada - which strictly prohibits bypassing of any digital lock.

Linux itself is not illegal, but you could be charged under the copyright act should you be caught playing DVD's in linux.

I know its far-fetched and likely will never be enforced, but is a GREAT example as to how lawmakers don't care about citizens, rather what multi-national corporations and businessmen tell them.

As you likely already guessed, I am also not allowed to copy any DVD (with CSS protection - so all of them) to any other medium either due to this law. Cant copy the matrix to my ipad or swordfish to my cell phone. I much re-purchase the media in the correct format or a version without any DRM.

On top of this, they killed recording media levies on blank CD's - but their prices are STILL the same at the stores that they were in June.. So, where did this levy fee come into play?

briangw    117

I don't see how this so called leak is going to benefit anybody because they won't be able to do anything with it since they cannot activate it. It's basically a waste of time.

Umm, you can rearm for like three additional months.

Luis Mazza    172

Umm, you can rearm for like three additional months.

This is not Windows 7. Please, read the page or the thread before posting something you're guessing. :)

srbeen    76

Developers for win8 can test their product as well as into coding win8 tweaks. Hackers can see what they can do with the GUI, activation, incompatible programs, writing viruses..

The only people it don't benefit are end users who just want to use the OS. For people who want to make the best malware, this leak is a complete gift!

briangw    117

This is not Windows 7. Please, read the page or the thread before posting something you're guessing. :)

I don't have to "guess." People on MDL have said it works. Besides, with the MSDN keys coming out in less than two weeks, the only thing I have to deal with is the nagging activation prompts and the fact it doesn't sync my MS account. Oh the agony! ;)

Oh, take that back. They're up on our company's VLS page. Woo hoo!

Noir Angel    4,207

On top of downloading an ISO isn't illegal, it may be against their terms for not downloading it through their official channels, but you aren't violating any law until you crack/hack your way past activation...

I know it's illegal for it to be distributed through unauthorised channels but I thought it was illegal to download it as well? Do you have a reference for this information?

Detection    2,255

Wonder if signing in with the same email address on CP and RTM, then changing the Metro theme in the activated CP would sync themes and subsequently change the locked theme in the RTM

Quillz    934

It's technically illegal to download the RTM ISOs outside of authorized channels and being an authorized user. But we're talking pure semantics here. Microsoft is not going to contact the FBI and have you thrown into prison because you got the Win8 RTM. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Wonder if signing in with the same email address on CP and RTM, then changing the Metro theme in the activated CP would sync themes and subsequently change the locked theme in the RTM

Tried it, it didn't work. Because you choose the theme upon installing RTM and from that point on it gets locked.

Detection    2,255

It's technically illegal to download the RTM ISOs outside of authorized channels and being an authorized user. But we're talking pure semantics here. Microsoft is not going to contact the FBI and have you thrown into prison because you got the Win8 RTM. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tried it, it didn't work. Because you choose the theme upon installing RTM and from that point on it gets locked.

Ah well, I'm sure someone will find a way, I did read about a registry key that could be changed to at least change the colour scheme

I am Reid    45

Thank you! What is the point of these being uploaded and downloaded if they're crippleware until they are officially released, first to MSDN and Technet subscribers on the 15 August.

please, by all means give a list of things you can NOT do on a non activated windows 8 besides change your color scheme.

Noir Angel    4,207

True, usually Microsoft go after the people that distribute the file not those that download it.

Demonface    1

It will have the same issue as Enterprise N, though. And outside of Media Center, doesn't Pro actually have fewer features than Enterprise?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

If you click on the link above and scroll down theres a tables howing whats the difference between the windows 8 editions.

• Like 1

Noir Angel    4,207

From what I gather Enterprise and Pro will be exactly the same apart from Pro's support of volume licensing for corporate users.

srbeen    76

MS couldn't have you thrown into prison anyway. I thought IP/copyright was civil not criminal. They could hit you with a C&D order and a fine... Otherwise half the US would be behind bars thanks to MPAA/RIAA

http://windowsteambl...8-editions.aspx

If you click on the link above and scroll down theres a tables howing whats the difference between the windows 8 editions.

I see Win 8, Win 8 pro and Win RT.. Where's enterprise exactly? Did you mean this?

Windows 8 Enterprise includes all the features of Windows 8 Pro plus features for IT organization that enable PC management and deployment, advanced security, virtualization, new mobility scenarios, and much more.

Seems vague

Detection    2,255

Isn't 7 enterprise up for free trial download on MS site anyway ?

Jojo81    12

@ American Mafia

Correct

If Microsoft sued the a$$ out of WZT group or anyone else actively leaking RTM builds, the whole internet world would revolt and bad publicity would spread quickly. Apple would invite Google for dinner and the two would furiously make out as a part of celebration.

But you do realize Microsoft along with other large software companies work with the Business Software Alliance and it is quite easy for them to track your IP and send a warning letter to your internet service provider. Although the chances of anything happening to you legally speaking are very slim a lot of ISPs including mine have a limit on the number of warnings you can receive before they take away your service.

neo1911    793

^^ you are not getting the point. It's the initial uploaders and leakers whom Microsoft can be after if they want. Normal public downloading it would be too great of a number to sue individually.

devHead    1,963

please, by all means give a list of things you can NOT do on a non activated windows 8 besides change your color scheme.

You can't make any customization changes. And you can't login and download apps from the Store, i think.

Ambroos    801

I'm running the Enterprise build right now, and unfortunately I can't get my GPU to work properly :( None of the Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers wants to install. Bleh!

I am Reid    45

You can't make any customization changes. And you can't login and download apps from the Store, i think.

like I said, give me a list of things you cant do other than changing your color scheme. You CAN go into the app store and install whatever you want, even the paid ones are there, as far as buying any of them im not sure because it has like 100 apps, with 90% being useless, and none are worth paying for. Side note, the fact that the Wikipedia app doesn't have a static search box is mind blowing, in order to search you have to do the stupid corner gesture and then click on search, which brings up a list of all apps with Wikipedia being selected for you then you search. Not to mention the entire time your in the Wikipedia "app" it has a massive static title bar with the name of the article and that's it, you'd think it would be a good idea to put a search box in all that wasted space.
  • Like 1

xendrome    5,289

Not illegal.. but in violation of Microsoft's terms...

xendrome    5,289

<<Thread Cleaned>>

Remember guys, the rule below, don't be surprised if your post disappears if it is violating or closely touching this rule.

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.

Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

PGHammer    1,329

Actually, yes you CAN download from the Windows Store - even if you create a local account; just login using your Microsoft Account as usual.

This has been utterly consistent since the Developer Preview, and yet this urban myth continues to get spread.